Williams confirms EPISODE IX !!

Amer

22 hours ago, Marcus said:

Certainly! 

There's quite a bit available on Spotify etc. 

You can also check out my website, www.marcuspaus.com 

Here's some stuff off YouTube:

Love it. Thank you for sharing! That timpani concerto is fucking HOT!!!! Excuse my language :)

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Pencil and paper is underrated. :)

I've only used Sibelius - is there any difference between the two?

I've never used Sibelius but my friend Lior Rosner does and he hates Finale, lol. I think it's whatever you are used to. I think we are all derailing the topic at hand here. Maybe we should move all our own stuff into another thread/forum? And it's great to hear other people's work and support each other on here. It's a much more beautiful thing than arguing :)

8 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Maybe we should move all our own stuff into another thread/forum? And it's great to hear other people's work and support each other on here. It's a much more beautiful thing than arguing :)

Agreed. Here's the composer's thread:

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I'm so excited for Episode IX!

Me too, especially after the controversy over this last one, lol.... Can't wait for the Solo theme too

17 hours ago, king mark said:

it's only confirmed by Williams, not by Disney!

So official confirmation from the Maestro himself merits nothing? Lucasfilm confirmed it back in 2013 when Kathleen Kennedy announced that the Maestro would do the entire sequel trilogy. Just put Episode IX under "Upcoming Projects" already!

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I think he's going to be a much bigger loss for that franchise than Disney probably suspects.

Oh, they'd know. After all, they've asked him to parachute in and help link Solo into the chronology with his music.

Not to be an ass or anything .... ah, fuck it:  I think the general public doesn't pay attention to the music in the films much, unless it's a really really gorgeous melody without much SFX. They recognize and pay attention to the Main Titles, Finale, the Force theme, and End Titles.

If TLJ is the bar, I think there are other composers out there able to use the Force theme, and re-record the Main Titles, Binary Sunset, and various chunks of existing material.

6 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Not to be an ass or anything .... ah, fuck it:  I think the general public doesn't pay attention to the music in the films much, unless it's a really really gorgeous melody without much SFX. They recognize and pay attention to the Main Titles, Finale, the Force theme, and End Titles.

If TLJ is the bar, I think there are other composers out there able to use the Force theme, and re-record the Main Titles, Binary Sunset, and various chunks of existing material.

For better or worse, I think this is right. Fans will certainly miss the JW sound, and there will be plenty of think pieces from pop culture writers who will lament his absence while also being unable to articulate exactly why. But it seems most of the public—if they even care—would be happier if the trailer cues were the actual score.

17 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

So if Star Trek is better than everything, and the new Star Wars movie is Star Trek, does that mean Star Wars is better than everything?

It means The Orville is better than both. Like, actually better. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

It means The Orville is better than both. Like, actually better. 

Yeah but Orville is also Star Trek. 

Wait. Star Wars...Orville...Star Trek isn’t better than everything. Star Trek IS everything! And everything is Star Trek!

Resistance is futile. So say we all.

13 hours ago, gkgyver said:

While I think a good part of this is right, I also think that music and sound design in general in a movie is really important. Movies have only two ways of entering the brain; by the eyes and by the ears. The principal one is of the course the visuals; that is what we remember most when we think of a movie. But the sound really gives it the atmosphere and tells the audience what they should feel at a particular moment. 

So indeed, most people don’t remember themes and such, but they certainly feel the way John Williams paints the atmosphere of the movie. Only, they don’t directly realize it. 

So I think that if the music would be different in style, even though some of the main themes remain, Star Wars would result in such a different “atmosphere” and people would probably feel that, without knowing what the problem exactly is. 

4 hours ago, Luka said:

While I think a good part of this is right, I also think that music and sound design in general in a movie is really important. Movies have only two ways of entering the brain; by the eyes and by the ears. The principal one is of the course the visuals; that is what we remember most when we think of a movie. But the sound really gives it the atmosphere and tells the audience what they should feel at a particular moment. 

So indeed, most people don’t remember themes and such, but they certainly feel the way John Williams paints the atmosphere of the movie. Only, they don’t directly realize it. 

So I think that if the music would be different in style, even though some of the main themes remain, Star Wars would result in such a different “atmosphere” and people would probably feel that, without knowing what the problem exactly is. 

The question is not if it will be the same. It won't. Ever. The question is if it will be noticeable enough to put people off.

I should remind you that before TLJ was released, there was that Verizon commercial music, and people here, except the handful of professional composers, had a very difficult time telling if it was Williams or not.

And this is the place where people know Williams' music better than any average person. So, if this place has a difficult time telling the difference, do you think Joe Average will be able to tell, WHILE watching the film at the same time?

Nope.

There are people who can write in the same style. Is it the same? No. Will it be enough to convince 90% of the theatre audience? Yes.

And you know what, if a new composer writes in the same style, and gives the music just a bit of influence from the modern, neo classical style, I'm not even sure if the average fan won't say that the music is just as good or better. Because for better or worse, modern audiences are used to different things.

1 minute ago, gkgyver said:

The question is not if it will be the same. It won't. Ever. The question is if it will be noticeable enough to put people off.

I should remind you that before TLJ was released, there was that Verizon commercial music, and people here, except the handful of professional composers, had a very difficult time telling if it was Williams or not.

And this is the place where people know Williams' music better than any average person. So, if this place has a difficult time telling the difference, do you think Joe Average will be able to tell, WHILE watching the film at the same time?

Nope.

There are people who can write in the same style. Is it the same? No. Will it be enough to convince 90% of the theatre audience? Yes.

Absolutely, but that is if composers continue to try copying Williams' style. But if they don't and do something different, the average audience will certainly feel it.

On ‎13‎.‎1‎.‎2018 at 6:37 AM, Trumpeteer said:

I suppose I shall be the lone dissenter here and express my displeasure at this news. While I want John Williams to finish out the third Star Wars trilogy, I haven't been impressed with too much of the music in this new trilogy. Lots of rehashes and too many reminders of how awesome the original trilogy was musically.

When "The Force Awakens" ended, I shrugged my shoulders (physically and emotionally) over the music. After "The Last Jedi," I silently hoped Williams would hand over the reins to someone else for Episode 9. Oh, well. I hope there is a surge of inspiration that comes from this film. I really want the music to be good. But, I'm tempering my expectations because they have been dashed twice previously.

Hey I remember you!! You would like to have more like a rap music score..or what?

8 hours ago, hornist said:

Do you love your life wanking there in your filthy middle earth cave and ruining the good feeling of every single JW fan?

Oi! I happen to spend a lot of time in the Middle Earth "cave" myself. Its not filthy!

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, hornist said:

Hey I remember you!! You would like to have more like a rap music score..or what?

Nope. Just a better music score. And now that it's been nominated for an Oscar, I fear it'll be more of the same for Episode 9.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Gistech said:

In news that will surprise almost nobody, John Williams says tha Episode IX will likely be his last Star Wars film.

But he can still write themes for new spinoff films. That, to me, is the exciting aspect behind him writing a theme for Solo: that Williams’ scores will be associated strictly with the main episodes, but that he can nevertheless help guide and - in doing so - keep his fingerprints on the expanded Star Wars musical universe, not to mention expand his already impressive catalogue of themes.