Williams confirms EPISODE IX !!

Amer

Oh yeah.

As much as I’m not a huge fan of his The Last Jedi, and as much as I fear the same from IX, not to mention Abrams’ mixing preferences, I really want to see Williams bring this series to a close.

6 hours ago, Gistech said:

In news that will surprise almost nobody, John Williams says tha Episode IX will likely be his last Star Wars film.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-9-score-john-williams/

Not really news since the article is based on a quote from the KUSC interview which was mentioned here a couple of weeks ago.

This really isn’t a surprise since there currently aren’t any more Episode films on the horizon. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney did continue the Episide saga but I hope IX puts an end to the Skywalker storyline. But I’m not sure if that’ll happen since Disney has been relying on the success on nostalgia and characters that made Star Wars so successful.

In regards to Williams retiring from SW, it’s sad but the right choice I think. After ROTS, I never thought Williams would score another SW film, especially another trilogy so the ST is really a bonus for me. IX will be a satisfying conclusion to his reign, especially if he wins an Oscar for it. It will come full circle having wins for his first and last SW scores.

They really have no reason to continue making episodes, because the spin-offs are shaping out to be just as lucrative.

Besides, that whole "George Lucas always intended for nine episodes" crap is at the heart of their brand.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

They really have no reason to continue making episodes, because the spin-offs are shaping out to be just as lucrative.

Besides, that whole "George Lucas always intended for nine episodes" crap is at the heart of their brand.

RO certainly was but how will Solo do at the BO? People have already formed a negative opinion about it. I don’t have much confidence it will do the same numbers.

Solo really isn't a good example for anything. It was always going to be a tricky film, and casting choices and production woes made it all the more troublesome.

And The Last Jedi did significantly less than The Force Awakens, as well.

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It earned well over a billion!

I love how people are trying to convince the world that TLJ was a flop for Disney.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that if Episode IX continues this trend, the episodes won't be any more lucrative than the spin-offs. Really, at this point, what's the appeal of the episodes compared to a spin-off films? is it the original cast? because none of them is going to be in IX.

I don't think we'll see any more episodes after this nonet is completed, and its all the better for it.

23 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

It was only the highest grossing film of the year by a small margin instead of a huge one!  That's what failure looks like!

You're one of the most easily triggered fanboys on here.

All of that doesn't mean its any good at all. Not that I think its a bad or even mediocre movie. But its not a very good film, to my mind, either.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

All of that doesn't mean its any good at all.

Never said it did. I was solely referring to its audience reception, not its quality as a film.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Not that I think its a bad or even mediocre movie. But its not a very good film, to my mind, either.

Did you even read my post?

With the script done, I wonder if JJ has has told Williams anything about the plot?   Impossible to know.. just wondering out loud. 

JW should just write the entirety of IX this year without seeing the film, then write an entirely new score again next year once the film is edited. It's only logical.

That way JJ can play the score live on set so the actors understand what emotion to convey.

Purely hypothetical situation: JW could probably start working on the score around this time next year. If... Um... For some reason another composer would have to finish his work... Do you guys think JJ would restrain himself with the reediting process so as much music could be in the movie from JW's final unfinished score as possible?

16 hours ago, Holko said:

Do you guys think JJ would restrain himself with the reediting process so as much music could be in the movie from JW's final unfinished score as possible?

No, and nor should he. The reason JW's music is so hacked up in these films is because he insists on being involved so early in the process due to his age, well before the final edit is decided on. He has admitted that he can't pull the same 12 hour work days he used to, so completing a score in a 4-12 week period after the picture has been locked off is simply not possible for him anymore. That's why he didn't do the last Potter film, and it's probably why he pulled out of Ready Player One.

It's wonderful that he's managed to come up with a compromise that still lets him write for these films, but the directors shouldn't be expected to sacrifice the best possible edit of their film just to keep JW's music whole. He is but one part of the film.

39 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

the directors shouldn't be expected to sacrifice the best possible edit of their film just to keep JW's music whole. He is but one part of the film.

That.

That, and nothing but that.

On 3/4/2018 at 7:12 PM, Chen G. said:

You're basing this on a sample size of....one?

And when you say "just as lucrative"...you mean the one spin off they've had that wasn't as lucrative as the two "episodes" they've had?

On 3/5/2018 at 10:35 PM, Docteur Qui said:

No, and nor should he. The reason JW's music is so hacked up in these films is because he insists on being involved so early in the process due to his age, well before the final edit is decided on. He has admitted that he can't pull the same 12 hour work days he used to, so completing a score in a 4-12 week period after the picture has been locked off is simply not possible for him anymore. That's why he didn't do the last Potter film, and it's probably why he pulled out of Ready Player One.

It's wonderful that he's managed to come up with a compromise that still lets him write for these films, but the directors shouldn't be expected to sacrifice the best possible edit of their film just to keep JW's music whole. He is but one part of the film.

As crowd-pleasing as it may be to have Williams doing SW, there comes a point where his working practices aren't flexible enough to deal with today's demands. It's really only SS, KK and a select few other directors who have afforded the luxury of accommodating his work ethic and old-school practices.

It's also very fanboyish to assume that only JW should ever score these films. Tons of composers could've given us TLJ.

21 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I'll put it another way: what's the appeal of the episodes over the spin-offs going forward?

In general, if they organize the episodes in trilogies as they have done up to now, they can tell a longer story and, most importantly, introduce characters that get some development (compare Jyn Erso to Rey). And there is a very simple marketing strategy: if you tell a story in 3 episodes, people will be eager to see all of them, to see how it will end (for example, we all watched ROTS, despite TPM and AOTC). So, I don't think they will drop the episodes, although it would be nice if they could switch to stories that do not involve the Skywalker family so heavily.   

4 minutes ago, Score said:

In general, if they organize the episodes in trilogies as they have done up to now, they can tell a longer story and, most importantly, introduce characters that get some development (compare Jyn Erso to Rey). And there is a very simple marketing strategy: if you tell a story in 3 episodes, people will be eager to see all of them, to see how it will end (for example, we all watched ROTS, despite TPM and AOTC).

Disney can (and are intent on doing) spin-off trilogies, as well.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Tons of composers could've given us TLJ.

The only ones that come to my mind are (maybe) Powell and Arnold. There are of course other relevent composers, but I don't think they can write something of that caliber in that language (and I'm not even enthusiastic about TLJ compared to the other SW scores). There are surely composers who would give equally interesting approaches in the future, but in different styles.  

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Disney can (and are intent on doing) spin-off trilogies, as well.

Ok, so "spin-off" here just means that the focus is not on the Skywalker family, right?

Yes, and that the main focus isn't necessarily the large-scale conflict between good and evil (Sith/Jedi or Empire/Rebels) in the Galaxy. Look at Solo.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

No other living composer could have written a cue like Escape or The Spark.

Exactly. The one composer that could've written something like those pieces is early 2000s-era Shore, though he's far past his prime.

Speaking of Solo and Episode IX, the whole thing is really going to make a wierd marathon viewing for new audiences: you watch three films (the prequels) only to take a two-film detour from the main narrative into Rogue One and Solo, before returning to the narrative, but with key elements already spoiled - Darth Vader's identity, Luke and Leia's familial connection, Han's character, the Death Star reveal - all building up towards a resolution in Return of the Jedi that isn't that great, even just as the conclusion of the two movies that immediately precede it, and only for that resolution to be immediately undone, with three more movies to go.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Speaking of Solo and Episode IX, the whole thing is really going to make a wierd marathon viewing for new audiences: you watch three films (the prequels) only to take a two-film detour from the main narrative into Rogue One and Solo, before returning to the narrative, but with key elements already spoiled - Darth Vader's identity, Luke and Leia's familial connection, Han's character, the Death Star reveal - all building up towards a resolution in Return of the Jedi that isn't that great, even just as the conclusion of the two movies that immediately precede it, and only for that resolution to be immediately undone, with three more movies to go.

I don't think new audiences will bother with the chronology. Films made 40+ years ago just don't have that much appeal. 

But than they'll watch something like Rogue One and go "and...?"

Besides, It'll often be parents showing these, in sequence, to children and nephews or whatever. And it just doesn't work as one big narrative.

Nostalgia and callbacks to the original trilogy form the basis of all the films made after RotJ, so anyone watching the newer films for the first time will probably feel like they're missing something until they go back and watch the originals. But the more new films come out, the more it'll confuse the hell out of new viewers, lol. There's going to be so much catching up to do. Maybe it'll reach a point where people can't be bothered. In which case I hope they at least seek out the originals. I guess we'll see!

Just read a bit of the discussion going on here and would like to observe:

1. What could possibly justify more episodes? At one point that galaxy is bound to understand that The Empire/First Order is not the way forward, right? How can you keep milking that story?

2. If Williams can't do IX (and I honestly don't see him doing it, sorry), and if Giacchino takes over (God forbid), is there any chance Disney could demand Giacchino didn't mutilate the sound of the orchestra for once in his life?

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

1. What could possibly justify more episodes? At one point that galaxy is bound to understand that The Empire/First Order is not the way forward, right? How can you keep milking that story?

That's all that Star Wars has ever been. I don't know why anyone would expect anything different?