Top 10 Hans Zimmer scores of the 21st century

Lewya

Which are Hans Zimmer's top 10 scores of this century so far?

My top 10:

Gladiator

Inception

The Last Samurai

Interstellar

Blade Runner 2049

Man of Steel

The Da Vinci Code

Angels & Demons

Rush

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I consider Gladiator, Inception, Interstellar and The Last Samurai much superior than the other six scores (all four scores would make my top 10 of all time Zimmer scores, the six other scores would not). The four weakest ones on the list are Blade Runner 2049, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Rush and Man of Steel. The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons are in the middle.

The Batman scores are his most overrated efforts of this century.

10 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Not according to the calendars we use. 

It was first released on May 1, 2000. It's counted as a 2000 film everywhere. Those "calendars" aren't very accurate. 

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Koray is technically correct, the 21st Century is 2001-3000, not 2000-2999.  But yea, clearly the OP wanted to discuss scores from 2000-present so who cares?

Oh yeah, my bad. I always assumed that every century started with the 000, but oh well.

Assuming 2000 counts:

Gladiator

The Last Samurai

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

King Arthur

Sherlock Holmes

The Lone Ranger

Interstellar

Man of Steel

Batman Begins

Angels and Demons

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Only 10 spots?  Too few.  Lately I can't get enough Da Vinci Code. 

Yeah there are definitely too many. I would have liked to add Hidden Figures on mine, Da Vinci Code (but for me Angels and Demons edges it out). Plus The Dark Knight and Inception. Too many.

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Oh yeah, my bad. I always assumed that every century started with the 000, but oh well.

That concept would have failed at the very beginning.

Erm... that's what I said.

(Or to get mathematical: Ordinal numbers vs cardinal numbers)

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

When people count they start at 1, not 0.

Except programmers, of course.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

When people count they start at 1, not 0.

No because then they would always be off by one. If you have two apples but you start counting at 1, then you would report having 3 apples. 

Gladiator

Pirates of The Caribbean: At World's End

Rush

The Last Samurai

King Arthur

The Lone Ranger

Black Hawk Down

Road to El Dorado

The Dark Knight

Sherlock Holmes

Honorable mentions:

(I like of them in the movies, nothing else)

Man of Steel

Mission Impossible 2

Batman Begins

Interstellar

The Amazing Spider Man 2

4 hours ago, idril said:

I would have liked to add Hidden Figures on mine, Da Vinci Code (but for me Angels and Demons edges it out). 

I imagine Hidden Figures more like a Wallfisch score with the Pharrell's participation mainly in the songs and the Zimmer's blessing. He did not do much here.

9 hours ago, James said:

I imagine Hidden Figures more like a Wallfisch score with the Pharrell's participation mainly in the songs and the Zimmer's blessing. He did not do much here.

Yeah I'm sure you're right on that. Same probably goes for Blade Runner 2049.

A lot of people saying Rush and I'm ashamed that I haven't actually listened to it yet. Need to get through Zimmer's discography. I've been pretty thorough with him but definitely not thorough enough..

Hannibal...I tried to listen to this once and it had voiceovers littered throughout which disgusted me. If there is one thing in this world I despise on a soundtrack release, it is narration blotting out the music. Yet the bits of music I heard were so amazing I want to listen to a pure version. Does one exist??

My wrong, I meant from 2000 to now, not from 2001. So Gladiator is fine to mention.

Hannibal is one I need to give another listen to, I can't remember it well enough.

The Lion King

The Prince of Egypt

The Davinchi Code / Angels & Demons

Gladiator

Interstellar

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Kung Fu Panda 1 / 2 / 3

The Little Prince

The Last Samurai

Frost / Nixon

HM to Frost / Nixon, Hannibal, The Holiday and The Lone Ranger 

love Kung Fu Panda but I've always figured the things I loved about it sounded very John Powelly and so I probably love it more for him than for Zimmer. Maybe I'm wrong.

Oh it's Powell that makes the first two KFP's work so well, but I included it because Zimmer was involved, and because by default most Zimmer scores are technically collaborations. Plus it's damn good music anyway. 

Tricky. The 90s is my favourite decade for Zimmer (and most composers that I love), but there have been some spectacular Zimmer scores from 2000 onwards. It's very difficult to pick just 10 from an 18-year period, but I'll try.

1. THE DA VINCI CODE

2. Interstellar

3. Gladiator

4. Inception

5. The Last Samurai

6. Mission Impossible 2

7. Black Hawk Down

8. Chappie

9. Rush

10. The Lone Ranger

Honourable mentions to MAN OF STEEL, BLADE RUNNER 2049 (even though it's mostly Benjamin's baby), HANNIBAL, SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON, DUNKIRK (but only in the movie; not as a soundtrack album).

In other words, not a lot of original choices.

12 hours ago, idril said:

Hannibal...I tried to listen to this once and it had voiceovers littered throughout which disgusted me. If there is one thing in this world I despise on a soundtrack release, it is narration blotting out the music. Yet the bits of music I heard were so amazing I want to listen to a pure version. Does one exist??

I'm so happy that I am not that much of a Zimmer fan, solely because of that. The only voiceover I have to live with is War of the Worlds - and not for long any more.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:55 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Only 10 spots?  Too few.  Lately I can't get enough Da Vinci Code. 

I had to bump Da Vinci Code off of mine to keep it at 10. I think it’s a fairly easy list, personally. Lots of good scores, but a handful of excellent ones and definitely a good chunk of poor ones (mainly the ones where his name is just on it). 

12 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Oh right I forgot Hannibal

I suppose I can replace POTC2 or TASM2 with that (or the Ring, they are both quite similar and dont get enough attention)

Hannibal, The Ring, and The Da Vinci Code form a pseudo-Italian trilogy of sorts. All feature a common melody and I like to listen to them together.