Musical Analysis of the Imperial March - With Cartoons

BTR1701

Sounds interesting, but I haven't much of a clue about music theory so I couldn't really understand much.

What I do understand is that The Imperial March is an awesome piece of music and that John Williams really knows what he's doing! ;)

It's not an inaccurate video (well, mostly; that Gb at 4:37 should be an F#), but I will never understand the appeal of these fast-talking fast-drawing "educational" animations... The animation isn't so much the problem, but more the quirky narration which frankly drives me up the wall. I especially can't stand when people do that "low distorted voice effect", such as from the "Go see TLJ" segment from 8:20. There's a name for that effect but I can't remember what it is. And besides, the video goes by too fast to learn anything from it. minutephysics is another channel I don't get the appeal of for the same reason. 

Now that's enough negativity for the weekend.

5 hours ago, Loert said:

It's not an inaccurate video (well, mostly; that Gb at 4:37 should be an F#), but I will never understand the appeal of these fast-talking fast-drawing "educational" animations... The animation isn't so much the problem, but more the quirky narration which frankly drives me up the wall. I especially can't stand when people do that "low distorted voice effect", such as from the "Go see TLJ" segment from 8:20. There's a name for that effect but I can't remember what it is. And besides, the video goes by too fast to learn anything from it. minutephysics is another channel I don't get the appeal of for the same reason. 

God forbid someone makes a subject as dreary as music theory fun.

Gb and F# are the same note. How is that incorrect?

And people call me negative or obsessive.

They have the same tone, they're the same keys on the piano, and they're the same fingering on whatever wind instrument you're holding. But on paper, they are different notes. Thats the rules. 

24 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

God forbid someone makes a subject as dreary as music theory fun.

Gb and F# are the same note. How is that incorrect?

And people call me negative or obsessive.

Which one is properly used depends on the key and chord.

It's like in language where two words can mean the same thing but depending on the context, one is correct and the other is not.

6 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

IT'S THE SAME KEY ON THE FREAKING KEYBOARD, IT'S THE SAME

Not in the language of music it isn't. You can rant about it all you like, but that won't change the reality and practice of music theory that's been in effect for centuries.

6 hours ago, gkgyver said:

IT'S THE SAME KEY ON THE FREAKING KEYBOARD, IT'S THE SAME

on the keyboard it is, but for string player it's a difference. at least in old school it is. Like a violinist would play a G flat a bit different than an F sharp. That it sounds the same on the keyboard is because a certain tuning had to be invented in the 17th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_temperament

It feels like it's not SUCH a big thing in amercian music theory. I saw sheet music of John Williams' score where an F minor chord had a G sharp (instead of A flat)

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

Sometimes these different spellings of notes just make chords easier to read. Like this one:

C-major---enharmonic-spelling-01.jpg

Hmm, this is clearly going to go on with Dbbb - C#####  - G#. Also known as C major to B - F - Ab :D 

In G major, you have one sharp, F#.

That makes G natural. 

In Gb major, you have five flats: Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, and Gb. F is natural. 

So if you're writing in G but want to write Gb instead of F#, you need to use accidental markings. Accidental markings only have effect in that particular measure. These should be used sparingly for special notes outside the norm of the key. Otherwise you're inviting the musician to make mistakes when playing your piece, for example during fast runs of scales, because you stubbornly can't follow the rules. The music would be very sloppy with unnecessary sharp, flat, and natural symbols all over the place. 

2 hours ago, Woj said:

In G major, you have one sharp, F#.

That makes G natural. 

In Gb major, you have five flats: Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, and Gb. F is natural. 

So if you're writing in G but want to write Gb instead of F#, you need to use accidental markings. Accidental markings only have effect in that particular measure. These should be used sparingly for special notes outside the norm of the key. Otherwise you're inviting the musician to make mistakes when playing your piece, for example during fast runs of scales, because you stubbornly can't follow the rules.

The music would be very sloppy with unnecessary sharp, flat, and natural symbols all over the place. 

And yet that's exactly how all the scores (and parts) are written: with no key signatures (in C), so that all the sharps and flats of the key are included in the body of the music. E.g., this bit from ESB

Snapz Pro X001.jpg

On 1/12/2018 at 4:47 PM, Loert said:

That sort of "Vocal Fry" thing he does?