How did you feel about The Last Jedi?

John

How did you feel about The Last Jedi?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How did you feel about The Last Jedi?

• It was great.
    • It was good.
    • It was okay.
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was terrible.

It has been roughly a month since The Last Jedi hit theaters in December last year, and since its release, it has certainly caused waves and division among the Star Wars fanbase and the public in general. While plenty of people thoroughly enjoyed the film, there are a good deal of those that disliked it, and even some who call for its removal from the franchise's overall canon.

How did you feel about the latest installment of the Star Wars saga, The Last Jedi?

It was more daring and it was more flawed than Ep7, so in general it had more positive aspects and more negative aspects. The experience in cinema was definitely impressive.

But one thing really annoyed me: That one thing annoyed everybody! A big shitty pile of overreactions and the arguments could not be less fair. If there was one thing that you personally didn't like, you went:

"You know there are so many plot holes and it is not logic at all!"

"Well ... have you seen the Original Trilogy?"

"Yeah, but these are classics."

"You think I don't notice it, when you try to bash the movie, just because you don't like it?"

"But Luke's character..."

"Stop it, immediately!!! You're now the fifth guy complaining about Luke's character and I've not even left the fucking cinema!!!"

I just dodged every possible discussion about the film, cause it's not worth the time. I love discussing movies, but this time - no! Just no!

There were some parts that really could have been better, but many parts did surpass my wildest expectations. Averaging these gets me to "good". Like the Trox, I would've chosen something between the top 2, but this'll suffice.

I chose the 4th option. To be fair, I did enjoy the film as pure entertainment quite a bit. The film was fun on a visceral level, had some nice visuals and amazing score and sound design.

It's just that as a Skywalker saga film, it disappointed me immensely, so much so that I don't really think I'll bother with Ep IX at all. I honestly pity J.J.

Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not a fanboy, I don't own SW merchandise, read SW novels or use Darth Vader soap-on-a-rope. The only SW items I own are the films on LD/DVD/BD and the scores on CD. That's it.

16 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm not sure any of your options really capture how I feel about this film.

How would you rephrase the poll options?

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Um, I'll rewatch TPM before I watch this again, Binks and all.

Though that's exactly the problem, just watch more (and different) movies. 

I voted the middle option. I like the film, but its flaws are disappointing. The first couple shots of Yoda...Luke flicking dust off his shoulder...some (not all) of the porg/caretaker humor...I really had very high hopes for this film, and it turned out to be more of a mixed bag.

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Though that's exactly the problem, just watch more (and different) movies. 

Why do you assume I don't? Presumptuous much?

Why should the movies I watch be a problem? Why do you even care?

Just FYI:

Last time I watched TPM: 2001

Last time I watched the OT: 2002

54 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Last time I watched TPM: 2001

Last time I watched the OT: 2002

tumblr_ozfxupmWAT1tghj17o2_540.gif

"Your avatar betrays you, fella."

I quite like the film. My main "problems" with it was that it had several occurences of questionable logic. And it did feel a bit too long, especially in the middle. To improve that I would have dropped the scenes with the fathiers. But I guess we should be grateful that Johnson did cut almost half an hour from his first version.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess we should be grateful that Johnson did cut almost half an hour from his first version.

Nah, that was just a rough cut. They're almost always mind-numbingly long. The rough cut of Revenge of the Sith was creeping up on four hours!

38 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

tumblr_ozfxupmWAT1tghj17o2_540.gif

"Your avatar betrays you, fella."

You probably haven't noticed, but I change my avatar quite regularly.

19 minutes ago, publicist said:

Just my estimation of your online persona here.

Based on what?

30 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Nah, that was just a rough cut. They're almost always mind-numbingly long. The rough cut of Revenge of the Sith was creeping up on four hours!

I wouldn't call it a rough cut when JW actually scored it. Rather, an earlier cut.

26 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Based on what?

That your name pops up in such threads quite regularly - usual a dead giveaway where the poster's passions lie. 

Though it's really handwringing over all the SW-related spam here lately, by a lot of guys.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

That your name pops up in such threads quite regularly - usual a dead giveaway where the poster's passions lie. 

Though it's really handwringing over all the SW-related spam here lately, by a lot of guys.

Fair point. I do regard SW as the franchise that "awoke" my interest in movies and JW, so I do tend to gravitate to these threads.

As for hand-wringing, I've got much more important things to worry about, visiting this forum is merely an entertaining diversion from the "real world". :)