Which are the Top 5 soundtracks which you'd like to see an expansion of?

Josh500

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure Arnold had no choice in the matter of him scoring the last two Bond films. I'm sure he would jump at the opportunity to do another Bond film. Based off everything I know / read of him, he's seems very enthusiastic about working on the franchise again anyway. It's just a matter of getting a call from EON.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I'd be much happier with either of them scoring Bond 25 over Thomas Newman.

I still don't see the apparent "greatness" of Thomas Newman. 

Neither his Bond scores nor Bridge of Spies impressed me. AT ALL!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh he's done plenty of fine work (IE Shawshank Redemption) I just didn't care for his Bond scores.

That wasn't bad, I guess, but it's not exactly mind-blowing either. Just effective enough to serve the movie's purpose

Nothing on JW's or even Jerry Goldsmith's level. 

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, Denise Bryson said:

Alien

Back to the Future

Spartacus

ID4

Titanic

I would be very interested in BTTF. An album without the songs just does not make sense. Oh, who am I kidding, they'll never do it...

Yep. A complete score album with all songs and source cues restored in the main listening order would still fit on one disc. They could crossfade Earth Angel with Tension/The Kiss as intended, maybe even include Marty's guitar freakout in Johnny B. Goode, and put them separated on the second disc which is the alternates and early cues from the now OOP older 2 disc set. But if I had one guess what's keeping anyone from doing this, it's one of mankind's worst inventions: rights lawyers.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I would be very interested in BTTF. An album without the songs just does not make sense. Oh, who am I kidding, they'll never do it...

Why not make your own compilation from the OST and the complete score?

That's not the point. A complete BTTF soundtrack has to have songs, otherwise it's horribly incomplete and pointless. Why, WHY do studios not try and resolve petty rights issues no one cares about for huge things like BTTF? Etta James is dead, you don't have to pay her anymore...

Not her, just her kids and her studio/distributor for 70 more years, because they're too lazy to achieve something on their own and have to live off of the success of better, but dead people.

19 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

That's not the point. A complete BTTF soundtrack has to have songs, otherwise it's horribly incomplete and pointless. Why, WHY do studios not try and resolve petty rights issues no one cares about for huge things like BTTF? Etta James is dead, you don't have to pay her anymore...

The songs? You serious?

Just download all the songs you want from iTunes or Amazon! 

These are all classic oldies. No problem there. 

Josh is not that particular about things. After all, this is the guy who estimated it would take 23 years to listen to a collection of 800 CDs... ;)

And it's not a given there's a problem getting the rights to include the songs; it might just be too expensive for a limited release. Wasn't that why the Titanic song was dropped from the complete score?

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Josh is not that particular about things. After all, this is the guy who estimated it would take 23 years to listen to a collection of 800 CDs... ;)

That was my mistake. :D But my point is the same.

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Did you actually raed the post you quoted?

Sure I "raed" it. 😂 

Again, no need to include the freaking songs on the expanded BTTF album. Most of the songs are on OST album, the rest can be had online.

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

That was my mistake. :D But my point is the same.

I agree that he could make his own complete edit which includes the songs. But such a long soundtrack would surely take at least a year to listen too... :D

I'll try again:

- A soundtrack, for me, must be an enjoyable listening experience.

- I only buy stuff that's nice to listen to as these things are already expensive enough.

- There are huge narrative holes in BTTF if you do not include the songs. The narrative matters, because, after all, it's a soundtrack to a film.

- Therefore, owning a fancy expanded set that does not include the songs is not worth my money.

So you want the complete narrative package handed to you preassembled, instead of downloading the songs form all over the place and reinserting them into the correct places, at which point you'll only have a digital playlist, and a useless CD you payed good money for that you will never ever listen to again, so you can just throw it away, or sell it, at which point you're at the same spot as if you've just downloaded it and didn't bother with buying the CD itself.

I'd say this is an entirely fair point, not too unlike how I (controversially) view Chamber of Secrets and its tracked cues.

Back to the root of the problem: I just looked at the 1CD Intrada tracklist and it just seems awful. What the hell is Back to the Future without Night Train, Earth Angel or Johnny B. Goode? Tension/The Kiss separate on its own? Sure, it'd be a nice addition in the back of the bonus CD, but it's just completely nothing and powerless when taken out from Earth Angel, and it was never meant to be heard outside of it. AND there's about 30 minutes of empty space on the disc.

Back to Temple of Doom because I'm in an Indy mood: would you want to listen to it if it did not have Anything Goes, and only had all the orchestral stingers separated, and no Anything Goes reprise they're actually supposed to be laid over?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

The thing is, I don't plan on selling expanded soundtracks because I'll use them if my computer is out of reach.

That's why I suggested you burn a physical copy of your own super-complete version.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Back to the root of the problem: I just looked at the 1CD Intrada tracklist and it just seems awful. What the hell is Back to the Future without Night Train, Earth Angel or Johnny B. Goode? Tension/The Kiss separate on its own? Sure, it'd be a nice addition in the back of the bonus CD, but it's just completely nothing and powerless when taken out from Earth Angel, and it was never meant to be heard outside of it. AND there's about 30 minutes of empty space on the disc.

Back to Temple of Doom because I'm in an Indy mood: would you want to listen to it if it did not have Anything Goes, and only had all the orchestral stingers separated, and no Anything Goes reprise they're actually supposed to be laid over?

I rarely think it's necessary to include source music or music that is not composed nor arranged by the main composer.

On 1/14/2018 at 8:12 PM, Thor said:

None.

But I echo filmmusic's picks of the two completely unreleased things.

Have you ever watched a film and heard a great bit of music that wasn't on the soundtrack? How do you react to that?

----

PoA

Gladiator

Dante's Peak

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

I can live without TRAINING MONTAGE, that's for sure, but...in a perverse way, I rather like it :)

Which training montage?

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Have you ever watched a film and heard a great bit of music that wasn't on the soundtrack? How do you react to that?

I'm sure he doesn't freak out about it. ;)

15 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Geez, dude, I've been doing that since 1975, when I saw the film that not only got me totally into soundtracks, but also into some guy called...er...what's his name? Oh, that's right...John Williams.

My initial reaction was "great music, so why's it not on the OST?". My second reaction was "well, if it's not on the OST, and if I want to hear the music, then I'll have  to watch the film again"...which I did, several times over.

Then I started to record the sound of films off of my television set, and listen to all the music, and then, when I could afford it, I'd rent VHS tapes (they cost a packet to buy, in those days), and record the music that way. Nowadays, with all these boots, isos, expanded, and complete releases, there's no need to do that, but back in the day, it was fun.

Now, I'm not much bothered if I don't have that elusive missing minute of music; I'm happy with what I've got.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which training montage?

TRAINING MONTAGE. You know, from SpaceCamp  :)

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Then I started to record the sound of films off of my television set, and listen to all the music, and then, when I could afford it, I'd rent VHS tapes (they cost a packet to buy, in those days), and record the music that way. Nowadays, with all these boots, isos, expanded, and complete releases, there's no need to do that, but back in the day, it was fun.

Yeah, I remember back in the days when I was recording my favorite intro music to TV shows with my cassette player. It was indeed fun. :)

38 minutes ago, Richard said:

Geez, dude, I've been doing that since 1975, when I saw the film that not only got me totally into soundtracks, but also into some guy called...er...what's his name? Oh, that's right...John Williams.

I meant from the p.o.v. of someone who doesn't care about unreleased music. Does Thor ever crave to hear a morsel he heard in the film?

15 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I meant from the p.o.v. of someone who doesn't care about unreleased music. Does Thor ever crave to hear a morsel he heard in the film?

I'm sure he's got every expansion there is; he just likes to maintain his enigmatic aura here at JWFan...

:lol:

I do agree that the OST presentations often have a better flow, and I believe the OST often is the way the composer prefers to present the music. However, I don't think these points always are true, due to time constraints, economic considerations, and so on.

Two main counterarguments are the very limited 40 minute span of the LP (he himself said that) and the fact that due to the small number of CD pressing facilities, sometimes the tracklist and full music have to be locked down and given to them in October, when the sessions themselves finish maybe in late November, therefore some of the best fitting album material possibly hasn't even been written at the time of the OST assembly.

30 minutes ago, Holko said:

due to the small number of CD pressing facilities, sometimes the tracklist and full music have to be locked down and given to them in October, when the sessions themselves finish maybe in late November, therefore some of the best fitting album material possibly hasn't even been written at the time of the OST assembly.

Exactly. That's one of the factors I meant by time constraints.

Come to think about it, my only JW expansions are:

SW OT Special Edition releases

SW OT soundtrack anthology

E.T. 20th Anniversary

Close Encounters '98 release

Raiders DCC release

Jaws 25th Anniversary

Jaws 2 Intrada release (only bought it because if was ridiculously cheap - €5)

Superman Rhino release

Midway (2011 release), but I'm not sure if it qualifies since I don't think any part of the original recording was released prior to this.

Since JP probably is my favorite JW score (or score in general) I'm considering to fork out for the JP/TLW collection, although there's not much new material for JP. TLW is still miles better than any of the followups.

The franchises are out of contest:

- all 9 Star Wars scores

- all 4 Indiana Jones scores

- all 3 Harry Potter scores

John Williams

1. Amistad

2. War of the Worlds

3. Born on the Fourth of July

4. Minority Report

5. The Witches of Eastwick

Jerry Goldsmith

1. The Mummy

2. Air Force One

3. Small Soldiers

4. Mulan

5. Leviathan

I excluded JFK and Dracula, because the former was already inofficially announced and the latter will probably not happen.

This is a bit tricky, because while I'm satisfied (for the most part) with "unofficial" expansions of my favorite scores, it would be nice to have official expansions and support the labels. On the other hand, some of the scores I love have never been expanded outside of the film. So for that, I'll create two Top Five lists

Expansions for scores with no bootlegs

Brazil

K-PAX

About Schmidt (a promo exists, but with less than 2 minutes of unreleased material)

Apocalypse Now

The Pelican Brief

Expansions for scores with recording sessions or incomplete bootlegs

Blade Runner

Heat

Demolition Man

Missing

Terminator 2 (an "expanded score" exists, but, again, with less than 2 minutes of unreleased material)

Hey that's a fun idea, I'll do the same list, with one extra category

Expansions for scores with no bootlegs/session leaks of any kind

Elfman - Mission: Impossible

Giacchino - LOST

Horner - Willow

Horner - Romeo & Juliet

Tilton & Datzman - Alcatraz

Williams - Harry Potter 3

Williams - The Terminal

Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha

Williams - The Adventures of Tintin

Williams - War Horse

Expansions for scores with bootlegs/recording session leaks/FYC promos/isolated scores/etc

Goldsmith - Air Force One

Horner - Apollo 13

Kraemer - Mission: Impossible 5

Serra - The Fifth Element

Young - Spider-man 3

Williams - Sugarland Express

Williams - Harry Potter 1 & 2

Williams - Minority Report

Williams - War of the Worlds

Williams - AOTC, ROTS, TFA & TLJ

Expansions for scores that had a previous, incomplete expansions

Arnold - Tomorrow Never Dies

Arnold - Stargate

Davis - The Matrix

Mancina - Speed 2: Cruise Control

Shore - Lord of the Rings

Williams - Indiana Jones trilogy

Williams - Star Wars trilogy

Williams - Hook

Williams - Phantom Menace

Dracula

Willow

Brainstorm

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Batman & Robin

3 out of those will probably happen. 2 of them might never be released.

Karol

On 17.1.2018 at 10:47 AM, Brundlefly said:

John Williams

1. Amistad

2. War of the Worlds

3. Born on the Fourth of July

4. Minority Report

5. The Witches of Eastwick

Jerry Goldsmith

1. The Mummy

2. Air Force One

3. Small Soldiers

4. Mulan

5. Leviathan

What do you think, how many of them will be expanded this year? I dare say at least two!

• 2 months later...