How many people here consider themselves JW completists?

Bayesian

And I'd say the last one of those is perfectly fine and in kind of a grey area when it's material that hasn't been officially released for years, sometimes decades, and it likely won't be for some more.

What's disrestpectful to the composer is not releasing some of his best material for decades and "making" us listen to SFX-filled 5.1 back channel rips of Temple of Doom, for example.

On 16/01/2018 at 7:51 AM, Thor said:

Yeah, dusting is a hassle. I think the IKEA Billy shelves might have a more closed system.

Billy shelves are great. Most of my collection is housed over several cabinets of those, with some extra shelves added.

1 minute ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Billy shelves are great. Most of my collection is housed over several cabinets of those, with some extra shelves added.

Ah yes. I have one of these myself, and the rest of my shelves are similar but from a different manufacturer (double column version, which is slightly narrower than two Billys). That unfortunately implies it's difficult to find doors which fit. Maybe I'll just sell them and buy all Billys.

25 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I would call those recordings private compilations. After all, you don't go on selling them and try to make a profit out of them.

Oh, absolutely -- I should perhaps have specified that. 

It's all part of my JW research, especially the older stuff. I obviously have no intention of selling or sharing my crummy-sounding audio rips of stuff like THE PLAINSMAN or I PASSED FOR WHITE! I find that audio rips let me focus more on the music than seeing it in context.

I did the exact same thing when I wrote my thesis back in 2001-2004.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

What's disrestpectful to the composer is not releasing some of his best material for decades and "making" us listen to SFX-filled 5.1 back channel rips of Temple of Doom, for example.

Well, sometimes it's more important to get to listen to the music than not being disrespectful. :) I guess the important thing when owning a bootleg is to buy the material if released legally, which I guess most people on this forum would do.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Oh, absolutely -- I should perhaps have specified that. 

It's all part of my JW research, especially the older stuff. I obviously have no intention of selling or sharing my crummy-sounding audio rips of stuff like THE PLAINSMAN or I PASSED FOR WHITE! I find that audio rips let me focus more on the music than seeing it in context.

I did the exact same thing when I wrote my thesis back in 2001-2004.

Was your thesis on JW?

Btw, regarding your "dream" book on JW: Why wait for funding? I'm sure you've planned much of the content already. Additional research needed can be done along the way. If I can write half my PhD in my spare time, I'm sure you're able to write the book parts where you don't need JW's input in your spare time. You just need to cut down on the partying for a limited time. ;) If you start now with one paragraph a day, you'll have at least half a book by the end of the year. Just sayin' :)

True. I have a sort of outline sorted. But since I'm also a freelancer, I need to prioritize incoming projects. My goal is to have a few months (with no projects) where I can just sit down and write.

No, my thesis was not on John Williams, but about film music. And E.T. was one of the analysis chapters. Here's the abstract:

The majority of academic literature on film music is currently situated within a narratological perspective, especially related to the (neo-)classical Hollywood film. This thesis aims to offer an alternative approach, wherein – rather than narrative integrity – the relatively autonomous enjoyment of various forms of audio- or musicovisual experience is explored, although still within a neo-classical paradigm. Emotions, mood and symbolism represent three such forms of audiovisual experience that range from the irrational to the rational. The thesis analyzes the musical construction of these pleasures in the filmic expression by drawing from a number of disciplines: philosophy, musicology, psychology and semiology. The neo-classical films E.T.– The Extraterrestrial, Blade Runner and Edward Scissorhands constitute the main analyses of this dissertation, based on a discussion of emotions, mood and symbolism, respectively.

Since we are on the topic of completism, I thought I would list a few glaring omissions from my JW collection:

Star Wars/CE3K Gerhardt (the original RCA Red Seal issue with artwork identical to the vinyl)

Across the Stars Radio Promo (I have 2 different versions each of DOTF and BOTH)

Superman II/III (Japanese WB CD issue)

Call of the Champions (all radio promos)

The Music of NBC News Vol.II

Gerhardt's ESB and Kojian's SWT (SLC Varese Japanese issues with art from the SW film series)

Yo-Yo Ma Plays John Williams (SACD)

Empire and Jedi: SEs ( Drew Struzan artwork versions)

The Reivers (Masters Film Music LE)

Schindler's List (CD Single)

I'm also still playing catch up with LEs released over the past few years:

Intrada: Jaws / latest SpaceCamp issue

LLL: E.T. / CE3K / Home Alone 25th

I'm a completist but I'll likely never have the time and money to track down every old rare, OOP item.  I just hope every score he wrote I don't have on CD yet eventually comes back on CD before that format goes away entirely.

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're a serious collector! :)

Do you know if there's any notable difference in sound between the two CD releases of Gerhardt's SW/CE3K? As you know the 2nd release is in Dolby Surround.

Well apparently some people prefer the sound of the older non-DS release. I have both versions of Gerhardt's ROTJ, will have to compare them sometime.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm a completist but I'll likely never have the time and money to track down every old rare, OOP item.  I just hope every score he wrote I don't have on CD yet eventually comes back on CD before that format goes away entirely.

So Jay, which scores are you missing from your collection?

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

It won't.

And if it does, don't worry, it will have a resurgence in thirty years time (refer vinyl).

;)

If I were (more) pedantic, I could add that I'm missing a few more Japanese alternate artwork variants:

Stanley & Iris

Presumed Innocent

Sleepers

Harry Potter & POA

War Horse

Tintin

Earthquake

Did Lincoln also have different art? If so, include that too.

I see Tarantula Records has that old MFM Reivers CD:

IMG_20180119_083922_edit.png

On 1/17/2018 at 5:01 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, sometimes it's more important to get to listen to the music than not being disrespectful. :) I guess the important thing when owning a bootleg is to buy the material if released legally, which I guess most people on this forum would do.

The music is not released because of the greedy studios  that own it. In the case  of JW blockbusters, they don't release it because they don't think they will make a profit off a c.d. release it but still hold on to it in case they MIGHT one day .This is the limbo the SW Prequel music is stuck in

On 1/17/2018 at 4:34 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd say it's still disrespectful.

And that's the most disrespectful thing you can say to a fan that's been waiting 30 years or so  for some of this music to be released legally

It would give me great joy to give the middle finger to SONY CLASSICAL if I ever found the SW Prequel recording sessions online and downloaded them illegally

And most of us buy the release when they do come out

Well, if you put yourself in the shoes of the composer, there's plenty of possibility that he don't approve on the presentation of his music on various bootlegs. 

The fact is that the presence of bootlegs makes the chances of profit for the studios even smaller.

I don't doubt that all of JW's SW music will be released one day.

On 19/01/2018 at 6:28 AM, JTWfan77 said:

Well apparently some people prefer the sound of the older non-DS release. I have both versions of Gerhardt's ROTJ, will have to compare them sometime.

And if it does, don't worry, it will have a resurgence in thirty years time (refer vinyl).

;)

If I were (more) pedantic, I could add that I'm missing a few more Japanese alternate artwork variants:

Stanley & Iris

Presumed Innocent

Sleepers

Harry Potter & POA

War Horse

Tintin

Earthquake

Did Lincoln also have different art? If so, include that too.

I see Tarantula Records has that old MFM Reivers CD:

IMG_20180119_083922_edit.png

That release of The Reivers have been on my want list for years. I just don't think it was worth paying over 40 euros for it. Lucky me, it was on my mailbox yesterday, and it only cost me slightly over the price of a newly released CD ☺

43 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

That release of The Reivers have been on my want list for years. I just don't think it was worth paying over 40 euros for it. Lucky me, it was on my mailbox yesterday, and it only cost me slightly over the price of a newly released CD ☺

From eBay?

That's an exact reissue of the OST

p_os3510.jpg

The Reivers [Original Score] (1969, Columbia Masterworks, OS-3510)

Main Title; First Instruction; The Winton Flyer; Family Funeral; Lucius' First Drive; The Road To Memphis; Carrie's Entrance; The Picture; The Sheriff Departs; The Bad News; Ned's Secret; Memphis; Ned's Trade; The People Protest; Prayers At Bedtime; Lucius Returns To Carrie; Back Home; Finale.

p_srs2009.jpg

(Reissued in 1990, Masters Film Music/Canada, SRS 2009)

An "expanded" versions was also released.

p_ck66130.jpg

The Reivers [Original Score] (1969) (1995, Legacy/Columbia, CK 66130)

Main Title; First Instruction; The Winton Flyer; Family Funeral; Lucius' First Drive; The Road To Memphis; Carrie's Entrance; The Picture; Reflections [previously unreleased]; The Sheriff Departs; The Bad News; Ned's Secret; Memphis; Ned's Trade; The People Protest; Prayers At Bedtime; Lucius Returns To Carrie; Back Home; Finale.

27 minutes ago, Richard said:

Miguel, is there any extra music on this MFM THE REIVERS, or is it the same as the Sony release?

Same thing as the original LP, missing one track that was added for the Columbia release. 

Still haven't compared, but the MFM release is said to have a better sound than the Columbia release.

The MFM release is a straight re-issue from the LP.

Columbia/Legacy released the score again, adding one track, "Reflections". As I mentioned earlier, the MFM release is said to have a superior sound to that of the Columbia/Legacy.

The Sony Classical release of the Boston Pops recording, features the suite Williams prepared between late 1979 and early 1980 (along with the suite to Jane Eyre and The Cowboys Overture.) The Reivers suite was premiered in May 1980 on Williams' Opening Night with the Pops, his debut as music director (he had conducted earlier that same year, in January, at Carnegie Hall, as appointed Music Director, premiering at the time the Cowboys Overture.) Anyway, the premiere of The Reivers also featured Meredith doing the narration and was televised, but was recorded for commercial release just in 1991, though the actual CD only got out in 1994. The suite does included newly composed material, that one being the horse race sequence.

• 4 months later...
On 1/19/2018 at 1:28 AM, JTWfan77 said:

The Eiger Sanction, Dracula, The Towering Inferno, and The Valley of the Dolls.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jay, didn't you write a few months ago that you'd never heard JW's music to fiddler on the roof?

4 minutes ago, hornist said:

Don't need Dracula. Basically one theme, and not very good by Williams' stardards...

I completely disagree.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Jay, didn't you write a few months ago that you'd never heard JW's music to fiddler on the roof?

Hmmm, I always forget that one.  I suppose I should pick it up at some point too.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I always forget that one.  I suppose I should pick it up at some point too.

It does include a great over-the top-arrangement of the song Tradition, in addition to several purely instrumental cues in JWs infectious arrangements.

59 minutes ago, hornist said:

Don't need Dracula. Basically one theme, and not very good by Williams' stardards...

how could you say this so sick of coming on here and seeing people BASghing williams but praising shit cpomosers this isjwfan if you dont like him go somewhere else you damn besserweissers

No strong pills with alcohol, you should know that!!!

also shit cpomosers and besserweissers are both underrated, ah these times😱😱😱

but if you are laughing at my skills in english we can easily change to finnish,

me first---haista paska!!

Well, rather like Thor said right at the start of this thread - I'm a completist only in the sense of wanting to get something from all his composition titles; so I'm not overly bothered about multiple versions, re-issues, expandeds, alternates etc. Sometimes I get those, but I'm not obsessive about them. And I'm not attempting to collect JW-as-conductor-only recordings with any rigour either.

Bootlegs ... just one, I think, but I'm on my way to replacing that with a legit disc.

6 hours ago, Loert said:

ALL of JW's arrangements are over the top. Where a normal arranger would use one woodwind run JW uses about 62. Where a normal arranger would stop at flutes and plucked violins, JW adds in a harp, a celeste, a piano, a glockenspiel, a "jeu de timbres" (whatever the hell that is), two electric pianos, and God only knows what else...

It all pays off in the end, though. To Life, Miracle of Miracles, The Bottle Dance etc...all JW at his best.

But my favourite bit is when Johnny goes absolutely bat**** insane towards the end of Tevye's Dream.

I listen to it at least once a month it's just so good!

Indeed! I just wanted to suggest some highlights for Jay to get started. :)

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Fortunately I have those :)

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Fortunately I have those :)

Me too! :-P

Although I have just remembered the one thing I don't have a legit copy of, which is the FSM disc containing The Paper Chase, Conrack, and The Poseidon Adventure – the few copies around are attached to prices that I just balk at too much. For that one, I'm prepared to wait in the hope that either they reissue it or somebody accidentally sells one at a regular disc price.

On the other hand, I enjoy my copies of relative obscurities like the singles of 'Tuesday's Theme' from Bachelor Flat and 'Uno Di Qua l'Altra Di La' from Storia di Una Donna, or the M Squad album, which were bought for perfectly sensible prices perhaps because there isn't a kind of 'limited quantities' cachet about them?

7 hours ago, dtw42 said:

Although I have just remembered the one thing I don't have a legit copy of, which is the FSM disc containing The Paper Chase, Conrack, and The Poseidon Adventure – the few copies around are attached to prices that I just balk at too much. For that one, I'm prepared to wait in the hope that either they reissue it or somebody accidentally sells one at a regular disc price.

Fortunately I have that one too. In fact, it was the very first Limited Edition soundtrack release I ever purchased.