How many people here consider themselves JW completists?

Bayesian

Apologies if this has been tackled elsewhere (I looked and didn't find anything), but I'm curious how many of us would claim to being a JW completist.

I aspire to becoming one, although I know I'm far behind in that goal. I have all but three of his post-Superman OSTs on CD, but hardly any from before 1978 and only four of the 19 FYCs (by my count) that were pressed to CD since Stepmom. I have all but two of the 32 (by my reckoning) Boston Pops recordings he made, but only about nine of the expansions by LLL or Intrada. And I don't have any of the special edition SW releases from 1997, which is the first priority of mine to remedy.

How about you guys? Are you the proud owner of every single JW release pressed to CD? Or how close are you to that goal? Is aspiring to own a complete JW library on CD worth the effort (and money)??

I consider myself a completist of Williams' COMPOSITION TITLES, not necessarily every single note he ever wrote. Which means that I must have a good representation of every single title on his resume. Film scores, concert works, TV, you name it. I have pretty much accomplished this, although there are still some things that have never seen the light of day in any form, and which I obviously don't own (especially his TV work). Also, I don't necessarily need all his performer things (piano, arranger), but I have quite a few of those too.

Focusing on compiling titles instead of releases.. yeah, I like that. That way, you don't burden yourself with trying to get a copy of every OST re-release or variant CD cover (like the four AOTC covers). Luckily I've managed to stay away from that temptation so far.

I buy each new expansions, bought every boston pops CDs Philips and Sony... And I try to catch up time, by finding older CD that I missed at the time of their release.

In another hand, I'm not into the TV works, or the albums where JW only play the piano, it depends of the work. Often a digital copy bought on iTunes is enough, same for his concert works, I usually buy them digitally.

I'm not a completist, but a very serious fan.

I'm not a completist. I do an individual assessment of each score and then buy it on CD if I think I'll listen to it. If I buy a CD which turns out to be uninteresting to me, like Tom Sawyer, I sell it on eBay, but first I make a digital copy of it in case I want to check it out again in some years. When it comes to expansions I assess whether there's any additional material worth the (usually) steep price. Rhino's Superman is for example totally worth getting, and now it's not expensive at all. :)

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I woke at 4:30 during the week, going at work!

:eh:

12 hours ago, Scintillating_CA said:

Are you the proud owner of every single JW release pressed to CD?

That. I have multiple releases of several of his scores, multiple recordings of his concert works (might be missing some of the multiple recordings of his shorter celebratory pieces but there are so many that it is hard to keep track of them all), same for concert version recordings of his film scores. I have all commercially released CD and several of the FYC promos, which I try to get if affordable (The Post FYC should arrive here sometime during this week). I've bought several digital download only releases, the latest being the wonderful Jim Nova recording. I also collect all of his recordings as performer, either on CD, of if never released on that format, on the original vinyl release. I've amassed a large collection of private live recordings too. Lately, I've tried to get the new vinyl releases, and some of the compilations, the later mostly if a) have not before released material or b) find them on the discount bin.

Is it worth all the time and money. For me is something I've been doing for some three decades already and can't imagine myself stopping. In the sense it brings me some measure of joy, I guess I can say it has been worth so far.

I want to have all his film scores, but to the latest completest release. So I buy some several times, but I'm no searching for old oats I i have an expanded newer release. His concert works is too much for me to collect.

@Miguel Andrade you seem to be the person with the most JW music. Is there anything you don't have?

I'd happily own every CD, LP, download, and iso score that has ever been released, that features JW's music, but I know that I will never be able to do this. I am, however, more than happy with what I do have.

I am, however, proud (but not in a haughty way) to have been present at his last - to date - European concert.

I am a fan but I’m selective in what I pursue. I’ll go after what I like, which is most of JW’s output, but not all. JW’s catalogue is so big that I’d never be able to listen to everything anyway. I have too much already if I’m honest...

But I’m glad every time I come across a piece that I like - both old and new - which occurs regularly. I then like to listen to it repeatedly so I can get to know it, and have an intimate relationship with the music. I want the music to mean something to me.

But JW is the master, I’ll never stop uncovering new compositions of his, be it an unreleased track, a new composition, a new arrangement and recording, or a new performance by another orchestra under a new conductor.

That's the great thing about being a "proper" JW explorer. Even for people like Miguel and myself, who have pretty much everything that is available in some form or another, there is still LOTS of music out there that none of us have even heard. It's a lifelong pursuit. Some things, I'm confident we'll never find (TV series such as CONVOY, for example).

Yes, I forget sometimes about the massive catalog of his that has never been recorded or released. What a trove that will be for us to enjoy in the years ahead, as more and more material is approved for release!

It's a glorious time to be a JW connoisseur -- his star has hardly ever shone brighter and his work is receiving curatorial attention like no one else's. And by the looks of it, JW will be going strong for years to come. Such joy.

6 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

That. I have multiple releases of several of his scores, multiple recordings of his concert works (might be missing some of the multiple recordings of his shorter celebratory pieces but there are so many that it is hard to keep track of them all), same for concert version recordings of his film scores. I have all commercially released CD and several of the FYC promos, which I try to get if affordable (The Post FYC should arrive here sometime during this week). I've bought several digital download only releases, the latest being the wonderful Jim Nova recording. I also collect all of his recordings as performer, either on CD, of if never released on that format, on the original vinyl release. I've amassed a large collection of private live recordings too. Lately, I've tried to get the new vinyl releases, and some of the compilations, the later mostly if a) have not before released material or b) find them on the discount bin.

Is it worth all the time and money. For me is something I've been doing for some three decades already and can't imagine myself stopping. In the sense it brings me some measure of joy, I guess I can say it has been worth so far.

If you ever found yourself with extra time on your hands, I think it'd be a real treat for us (certainly me, at least) to see photos of your JW collection!

I consider myself a JW completist for his career as a composer, I own nearly all available recordings of his compositions. I’m not missing much, just a few of his lesser known concert works.  Still tracking them down...

I’m not a completist when it comes to his recordings as a performer or conductor. I have a lot but nowhere near all.

I also collect re-recordings of his compositions. From Kunzel, to Gerhardt, to the City of Prague to all the random performers and orchestras out there.

All recordings of JW’s compositions I’ve labeled their genre as “John Williams” in my iTunes - which I like to listen to in shuffle mode.

Looking at my spreadsheet today, I have 287 John Williams related physical releases (nothing pre-CD). That includes things like his BPO and other performer conducted releases, radio promos, FYCs and comps that are exclusively or at least 95% JW related.

Excluded from the tally are digital releases (I've started going that route due to financial constraints and because I detest cardboard sleeves), scores adapted using JW material and scores adapted for other composers by JW.

At one stage I would have called myself a completist, to the extent that I would buy multiple copies of the same ST simply to get  the different artwork variations.

Nowadays, I'm much more selective, especially since I've really been expanding my collection to include other composers. If I had to do it all again, I very much doubt I would have four different versions of CE3K and 1941 in my collection (scratch that: 5 x CE3K, forgot about the DVD-Audio).

At the end of the day, do we buy this stuff for the music or do we just collect it because it looks nice on the shelf?

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

(...) At the end of the day, do we buy this stuff for the music or do we just collect it because it looks nice on the shelf?

I invite you to discuss that in the thread "Anyone have mental problems?". ;)

The sad irony is that my collection does not look nice at all, as it sits in a bunch of plastic crates squirreled away in a storage unit a few kms away...

The even sadder irony is that my collecting has gotten in the way of my listening.

I have yet to listen to (no rioting please):

The BFG

The Book Thief

Lincoln

Munich

Memoirs of a Geisha

Catch Me If You Can

A.I. (Expansion)

Rosewood (Expansion)

Empire of the Sun (Expansion)

E.T. (20th Anniversary)

1941 (Expansion)

The Fury (Film Score)

Jaws 2 (Expansion)

Black Sunday

Midway (OST)

Family Plot

Jaws (Collectors / McNeely)

I think I'll stop there...

*quietly leaves the room*

10 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Miguel, what is the Jim Nova recording?

I actually have a photo of my JW CD collection (this does not include myriads of things that are only in digital form). The photo is a bit old, so I've acquired THE BFG and THE BOOK THIEF since then. Still missing THE POST and THE LAST JEDI in physical form:

williamscollection.jpg

Also have a signed photo on another shelf (I should really get a frame that fits!):

IMG_0012.JPG

I’m an intended on-CD completionist, but won’t buy things for nutso prices.  There are a good handful of OOP releases I can’t afford but would buy on rerelease.  I think with the exception of The Cowboys, Earthquake, and the new CE3K, I have every release OST version and expansion post-Jaws.

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

I actually have a photo of my JW CD collection (this does not include myriads of things that are only in digital form). The photo is a bit old, so I've acquired THE BFG and THE BOOK THIEF since then. Still missing THE POST and THE LAST JEDI in physical form:

williamscollection.jpg

Also have a signed photo on another shelf (I should really get a frame that fits!):

Where did you buy your CD-shelf? I'm considering to replace mine with someone wider, like yours.

And yeah, you really should get a proper frame for that photo ;)

I'm pretty much a completist.

I have every official JW release post Jaws (OSTs as well as Expanded releases) and I'd say about 80% pre Jaws. Plus, every single JW and BPO album.

I don't collect leaks or unofficially released bootlegs. 

Argh! I have so much completist envy after reading these latest posts! Those are amazing collections!!

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

The sad irony is that my collection does not look nice at all, as it sits in a bunch of plastic crates squirreled away in a storage unit a few kms away...

Yep, for the time being, mine are in bankers boxes in a (I hope) safe spot in the garage. Waiting for the day when I can put together a proper listening room/study/man cave. That day is some ways off.

5 hours ago, Scintillating_CA said:

Argh! I have so much completist envy after reading these latest posts! Those are amazing collections!!

Yep, for the time being, mine are in bankers boxes in a (I hope) safe spot in the garage. Waiting for the day when I can put together a proper listening room/study/man cave. That day is some ways off.

In your garage, you say? What's your address, btw?

8 hours ago, Thor said:

IKEA Ivar shelves. Painted white by myself.

CD-collection4-small.jpg

Ah, now I see it's the Ivar. :) I'm looking for some wide shelves which are not open at the sides and back, and which I can fit doors to at the front. Tired of dusting. :D

On 1/16/2018 at 8:51 AM, Thor said:

Yeah, dusting is a hassle. I think the IKEA Billy shelves might have a more closed system.

They are unfortunately too deep. Looking for shelves made especially for CD or DVD/bluray storage, which is becoming increasingly difficult to find...

EDIT: I forgot Billy have dedicated CD shelves. I actually have one of them. :)

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Too expensive. I would make them myself if I had a workplace and the necessary machines.

Pity. At least then you could have it made to the exact specs you want. Off the shelf storage solutions seldom meet my requirements.

Could you not draw up a cutting list and ask a hardware store to cut the wood/laminate/mdf or whatever for you, so that you only need to assemble it on site?

8 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Could you not draw up a cutting list and ask a hardware store to cut the wood/laminate/mdf or whatever for you, so that you only need to assemble it on site?

Hmm... that's an interesting question. I'll have to investigate.

No, I’m not a completetist because I don’t buy all the JW & Boston Pops cds, I don’t do LPs anymore and once an expanded / complete release comes out, I get rid of the original. Unless the original has music not on the expansion but that’s changing with the inclusion of album with the newer release. I do have or have had all the soundtracks he’s done that have been officially released.

My main goal is having all original music written by Williams.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

A general question: how many compmetists include the collection of boots as a priority?

Early on I tried to get them, as there was a lot of stuff missing. Nowadays not anymore. The most recent bootleg that found its way to my collection was a Jane Eyre release a friend sent me a CD-R copy of. But the most silly thing is that the bootleg had nothing that wasn't released legally already!

3 hours ago, Richard said:

A general question: how many compmetists include the collection of boots as a priority?

I get boots, but only for things that have no release whatsoever. Sometimes I make my own "boots", i.e. I rip audio from a video file (in the stretches that have music without too much intrusion of dialogue and sound effects). This is mostly his TV stuff and some obscure titles from the 60s.

I think it's the moment where I can talk about two "curiosities" in the JW discography (thanks to our Yoda, @Miguel Andrade for those two!)

The persons who have those items, are really, really, really completists ;-)

First, the promo LP from Goodbye, Mr Chips, containing alt takes that are not even on the FSM CD.

p_mgms1e19_stx.jpg

Goodbye, Mr. Chips [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1969, MGM Records, MGM S1E-19 STX)

Overture; Fill The World With Love; Where Did My Childhood Go?; London Is London; And The Sky Smiled; Apollo; When I Am Older; Walk Through The World; Entr'Acte / What Shall I Do With Today?; What A Lot Of Flowers!; Schooldays; When I Was Younger; You And I; Fill The World With Love (Reprise); You And I (Orchestral Reprise). Lyrics by L. Bricusse; Music Conducted and Supervised by J. Williams.

(Released in 1969 for promo, MGM Records)

Fill The World With Love; Where Did My Childhood Go?; London Is London; What Shall I Do With Today?; And The Sky Smiled; Apollo; When I Am Older; Walk Through The World; What A Lot Of Flowers!; What A Lot Of Flowers! (Reprise); Schooldays; When I Was Younger; You And I; Fill The World With Love (Reprise). (Containing some alternates cues).

Then, this very rare re-recording of South Pacific (still unreleased on CD)... Walter Ruick... hmmm.... that sounds like the brother-in-law!

With Walter Ruick

p_l1614.jpg

South Pacific (1958, Tops Records, L1614)

Featuring John T. Williams (p).

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Me

And I have all post Jaws original OSTt's and expanded releases except the 2nd Home Alone's expanded and Jaws 2 expanded

10 hours ago, Thor said:

I get boots, but only for things that have no release whatsoever. Sometimes I make my own "boots", i.e. I rip audio from a video file (in the stretches that have music without too much intrusion of dialogue and sound effects). This is mostly his TV stuff and some obscure titles from the 60s.

I would call those recordings private compilations. After all, you don't go on selling them and try to make a profit out of them.