New book "Guide des compositeurs de musique de films" (French)

toothless

I just came across this on Twitter : https://www.amazon.fr/Guide-compositeurs-musique-Romain-Dasnoy/dp/B01HYV6XXA/

C1-Guide.jpg

And here is a Google translate :

In the cinema, music quickly became inseparable from the image, giving it a new dimension in its own right. Behind the cult themes that the public knows by heart are composers who are in love with an art of multiple forms. Each of them brings its colors and inspirations in styles that cover all musical genres, and sometimes even the most experimental. This book written by two passionate film and music fans traces the path of film music, from the most prolific composers to more confidential names, films that are no longer present to those who must be discovered: great classics , musicals, science fiction, action, adventure, romance ... The Guide to Film Composers will guide you through the paths of a rich auditory world where every note is an image.

More images, infos and excerpts here : http://ynnis-editions.fr/produit/le-guide-des-compositeurs-de-musique-de-film/

This looks like a great read! (And a great opportunity to practice my tortured French!)

Thanks for alerting us to it!

Update: I just ordered it from Amazon France! Yay! Total impulse purchase and one my budget had no room for, but I don't care, I'm super stoked for this one!

I'll happily provide a review of the book here once I receive it. Le livre va arriver entre le 27 et le 30 de janvier. (I think I wrote that right.)

1 hour ago, Scintillating_CA said:

Le livre va arriver entre le 27 et le 30 de janvier. (I think I wrote that right.)

Pas besoin d'ajouter le « de ». :-)

48 minutes ago, toothless said:

In french, we put a space between words and "!". :P So it's "Ah, merci !" instead of "Ah, merci!" ;)

Well, maybe in old France french, but in Québec, according to our "Office québécois de la langue française", it don't need a space.

The thing that is funny, is in France I think they don't add a space before the « : », but in Québec it's required.

Ah... Typography. A very interesting subject for me!

2 hours ago, toothless said:

In french, we put a space between words and "!". :P So it's "Ah, merci !" instead of "Ah, merci!" ;)

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Well, maybe in old France french, but in Québec, according to our "Office québécois de la langue française", it don't need a space.

The thing that is funny, is in France I think they don't add a space before the « : », but in Québec it's required.

Ah... Typography. A very interesting subject for me!

I studied in graphic design in Québec and what both : and ! require is a "espace fine". Which is a quarter of the space that the capital M usually takes. It results in something that looks like half a space. Unfortunately, it can't be easily done. It's only possible in softwares like Adobe InDesign. There are workarounds in Photoshop and Illustrator too. 

So I guess that's why it is hard to determine if we should put one or not. Personally, I prefer not putting any. I find it prettier and many other languages don't need one. 

If I am not mistaken BB used to put spaces between words and exclamation points, perhaps that could be a clue to be used as a hint to those wierdos obsessed with figuring out his location ;)

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

We do add a space before and after ":" ;)

See : https://www.amazon.fr/Lexique-règles-typographiques-lImprimerie-nationale/dp/2743304820

Mais c'est vrai, il existe plusieurs types d’espaces : cadratin, demi-cadratin, etc.

PS : I now work as UX/UI Designer but I used to work as Graphic Designer a long time ago ;)

11 hours ago, Luka said:

I studied in graphic design in Québec and what both : and ! require is a "espace fine".

True for the « ! », not true for the « : »...

Of course when we can easilly reproduce those "espace fine" we use them, but generally in a text software (like Word) and on the web, we can't easilly do them. So when we can't do them, it's okay not to put a space.

« : » requires a non-breaking space before it, that's another thing, but it's easy to do in Word. On the web, we use the code html «   »

These rules, I follow : http://bdl.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/bdl/gabarit_bdl.asp?id=2039

Omg! I can’t believe this! Either I mixed things up in my mind, or my teachers were not right this whole time xD 

4 hours ago, toothless said:

I think in France, they still put a space before the « ; » too, in Québécois we don't, we apply the same rule as the « , ».

31 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think in France, they still put a space before the « ; » too, in Québécois we don't, we apply the same rule as the « , ».

Indeed. In france :

. --> "word."

, --> "word, word"

; --> "word ; word"

! --> "word !"

? --> "word ?"

As for a bulleted list we do like this :

- item one ;

- item two ;

- item three.

Are we not WAY off topic now? :lol:

EDIT : for those of you who understand french, I came across this link a while ago and it's a nice summary/reminder : https://codepen.io/vincent-valentin/full/GOqadz/

Sorry for still being out of topic, but I did some research on my side, and indeed, in my typography books, it says that it's an "espace fine" or quarter of cadratin before the :

I also asked other graphic designers at my job and they think the same. So maybe the "Office Québécois de la langue française" has a different way of doing it...

I noticed that in the film Personal Shopper the main character was frequently leaving a space before "?" in text messages. I thought she was just being a sloppy texter, but maybe she was applying the French convention.

54 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I noticed that in the film Personal Shopper the main character was frequently leaving a space before "?" in text messages. I thought she was just being a sloppy texter, but maybe she was applying the French convention.

The French typography is according to me, a little bit outdated regarding the web and the modern text editing softwares.

On the web or in Words, if you leave a normal space between a word and the "?", the question mark risk to appears at the beginning of a new line... We don't want that.

We are far from the years where printing used blocks and templates! It seems the French typography never really got updated...

In Québec we are modern :-)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « imprimerie cases »

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of the book arrived just now. Unfortunately, I don't have much time at the moment to dig deep into it, but here are some initial thoughts:

First, the book is beautiful. It looks and feels better than it's 40-Euro price would suggest it should. It's not necessarily at the level of the best coffee table books, but pretty close IMO. (And, again, for 40 Euros.) Second, JW is very well represented. :) He gets first mention on the back cover, a Star Wars full-page illustration in the Introduction spread, sole representation on the intro spread for the first chapter (see attached), and the most page references of any composer in the index.

That first chapter, BTW, is called Les Indispensables. Here are the composers listed within:

John Barry

Vladimir Cosma

Danny Elfman

Jerry Goldsmith

Bernard Herrmann

Joe Hisaishi

James Horner

Maurice Jarre

Michel Legrand

Ennio Morricone

Alfred Newman

Alex North

Nino Rota

Lalo Schifrin

Howard Shore

Max Steiner

John Williams

Hans Zimmer

More thoughts to come.

IMG_8065.JPG

IMG_8067.JPG

On 15/01/2018 at 6:20 PM, Scintillating_CA said:

I'll happily provide a review of the book here once I receive it. Le livre va arriver entre le 27 et le 30 de janvier. (I think I wrote that right.)

:)

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice book, but Zimmer's listed as an "indispensable" while Rozsa and Waxman are not? That's dubious at best.

Waxman is placed in the list called Les Immanquables, alongside the likes of Tiomkin, Goldenthal, Debney, and Powell. I fear to report, however, that Rozsa doesn't appear to be in the book at all. That's a rather big oversight... let's call it the one negative thing about this book, because otherwise it seems to be comprehensive and it is very nicely put together.