• 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I haven't seen the movie yet.

Well? 

I've been listening to this for the last couple of days. It's good, but not particularly outstanding, IMHO. Reminds me a bit of Catch Me If You Can and Nixon.

I haven't seen the movie yet. Maybe after watching it, I'll have a better opinion of the score.

Yeah, i keep listening to it many times, trying to re-evaluate and like it, but I can't.

The 3 best cues for me are the 2 source cues and the "Mother and Daughter" track, which features a lovely theme but not anything outstanding.

This score sounds to me like a starting John Williams in his 20s.

Not meaning that it sounds like the scores he wrote then, but I mean that it sounds like a score of a starting composer in the business.

For those who have seen the film and noticed the music:

The album features album extensions in some tracks, right?

Also, about the source cues: Were they perceivable in the film?

Or they were really low in the mix, barely heard, in the background of a meeting or something?

4 stars for the score (which was my no. 3 pick of 2017), and 4.5 for the film -- which I just saw today, and which blew me away in many respects.

Okay, I just saw the movie. Gotta say, I didn't much care for it. It's a Spielberg movie, so it's extremely well shot, directed, scored (although it's not Johnny's best), and acted, but that's it. 

The movie's subject matter doesn't interest me at all. We all know the US government is warmongering and corrupt to the core, no need to rub it into our noses, and act like some journalists writing for the fake news media (Washington Post!) are the good guys. There's not much difference between what was going on in the 70s and what's still going on.... We all know that!

3/5 score and film

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

For those who have seen the film and noticed the music:

The album features album extensions in some tracks, right?

Yea

Also, about the source cues: Were they perceivable in the film?

Yes

Or they were really low in the mix, barely heard, in the background of a meeting or something?

They are heard in the background of The Oak Room

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

...some journalists writing for the fake news media (Washington Post!) are the good guys.

:lol::lol::lol:

I always have a good chuckle when I see people use terms like that, as if news sources that cover news/topics that the reader may not agree/approve are all of a sudden deemed illegitimate.

7 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

I always have a good chuckle when I see people use terms like that, as if news sources that cover news/topics that the reader may not agree/approve are all of a sudden deemed illegitimate.

WaPo is a little better than many others but still terrible. All media in the US is awful.

There are always people dumb enough to believe the fake media bullshit. 

A large portion of the American people (not all, mind, but too many) are just that... Too dumb and brainwashed to see through all the bullshit.

Give me a break! :D

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

WaPo is a little better than many others but still terrible. All media in the US is awful.

Not all, not at all.

Just the US mainstream media is fake news. The whole world knows this, except like I said, a large portion of the American people too ignorant (maybe purposefully ignorant) or uneducated to see through all the bullshit propaganda lies.

I seriously wonder when some people will understand how the US government in collusion with the corrupt US fake media (mainstream media) is f***Ing the American people over and over and over again... Just because they can and they are greedy! And nowadays it's worse than ever, not necessarily because of Trump, but it's been that way for the past 50 years! I guess that's just too much for some people to wrap their weak minds around.

Newsflash:

a15b9eb54ed834d0ecd5c529b01d9fc5--watch-spongebob-mind-unleashed.jpg

12 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Who told you that? CNN? Fox News? 

Yeah, you have your chuckle. The whole world is laughing at the US media and those dumb enough to believe it. :D

1 minute ago, Taikomochi said:

I don't think it's the media that is causing the whole world to laugh at the US.  I think that might be something or someone else.

Who told you that? The US media? 😂 

Anyway, back to topic.

The movie, for all its bs subject matter, is still okay. I probably won't see it again. Maybe I'll rent it one day to hear the score in the movie again.

I'm still trying to like the score, though. But there's just not much there to hang on to. It seems rather lame, for John Williams' standards, but of course a lame JW is still better than 98% of what's out there.

42 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Who told you that? CNN? Fox News? 

Yeah, you have your chuckle. The whole world is laughing at the US media and those dumb enough to believe it. :D

Are you actually going to call me and millions of other Americans "dumb" simply because we happen to believe a good deal of coverage from certain news sources? Like we don't have the intellect to discern phony news from the real stuff?

You honestly couldn't take a more arrogant stance on this subject.

8 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

Are you actually going to call me and millions of other Americans "dumb" simply because we happen to believe a good deal of coverage from certain news sources? Like we don't have the intellect to discern phony news from the real stuff?

Yes.

And the Germans during the 30s and 40s had the same problem in Nazi Germany. They too initially believed the bs propaganda lies and thought they were the good guys.

But like I said, it's not just me saying this. Pretty much the whole world thinks this way, even if most people won't tell it to your face. Now, there are dumb, ignorant people all over the world. But a large portion of the American people (those that believe the fake US mainstream media).... Now, that's just a whole different level of ignorance and cluelessness.

Both of the people who are pictured in your avatar would likely tell you that not only are you wrong, but you are actively attempting to help in the undermining of one of the cornerstones of American democracy and culture.

Where does that put you on the ignorance and cluelessness scale?

3 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Both of the people who are pictured in your avatar would likely tell you that not only are you wrong, but you are actively attempting to help in the undermining of one of the cornerstones of American democracy and culture.

Where does that put you on the ignorance and cluelessness scale?

Should I answer to somebody whose first pissy argument was "There's a reason I don't like you"? :D

Sounds like you have absolutely no idea. You're just brainwashed and dumbed-down, but don't worry. Half the Americans are. You'll get a shock when you one day (maybe!) start realizing what's really going on and what was really going on all along.... 

There's a good, legitimate reason why Trump won, and it's not what the fake US mainstream media wants you to believe.... lol

6 hours ago, Josh500 said:

It seems rather lame, for John Williams' standards, but of course a lame JW is still better than 98% of what's out there.

So, Josh...what constitutes the other 2% "out there" (and be very careful how you answer that question :))?

This might be an unfair question, but...how does THE POST compare with something such as ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, or similar "exposé" films?

I've not seen the former, but I would imagine that they are both films which are concerned with the search for truth, and the advocacy of freedom.

It seems that the more that "truth" is twisted, hidden, and repressed, the more we need crusaders such as those depicted in both films, to attempt not so much to discover it, but to identify with it, and to stand by it, no matter what the cost, especially since that "truth" is being concealed by our so-called leaders.

Would I be right?

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Sounds like you have absolutely no idea.

It's a possibility, I guess.  But I don't have as my avatar a photo of two people who'd probably spit in my eye for the sorts of things I'm saying, so I've got that going for me in comparison to you.

It's pretty much just become an indirect political slapfight, which I thought that type of thing was against the rules.  Hard to avoid with JW scoring an inherently political film, I suppose.

@Josh500, partly true what you say, but so trivialized that it can't get much more offensive.

IMO, a valid problem of the US is the lack of a main news source that doesn't depend on popularity and can afford to be purely informative and not at all entertaining.

One could argue that mainstream media in ANY country is biased or even fake news.... And yes, it's not entirely untrue. British media, German media, Russian media, Chinese media, Arab media, etc.

However, there's only one government on the planet that starts one war after another, destroys one country after another, overthrows one foreign government after another, all the while spreading bs propaganda around the world via its fake news outlets (mostly blaming its main geopolitical rivals Russia and China for all the world's problems, and ridiculously pretending to be the defender of "freedom and democracy" while dropping 10,000+ bombs in a single year) and maintaining 900+ military bases around the globe. You gotta be a brainwashed moron to fall for the same bs lies again and again and again, for years and decades.

If you still don't know the unspeakable and horrific truth about the US government and its corrupt fake news media (backed by an endless supply of fake US dollar straight out of the printing machines), you are part of the problem. Again, most of the world is awake at this point. The American people, as brainwashed and dumbed-down many of them are, are the victims of the greatest betrayal in human history. 

19 hours ago, Richard said:

This might be an unfair question, but...how does THE POST compare with something such as ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, or similar "exposé" films?

I've not seen the former, but I would imagine that they are both films which are concerned with the search for truth, and the advocacy of freedom.

It seems that the more that "truth" is twisted, hidden, and repressed, the more we need crusaders such as those depicted in both films, to attempt not so much to discover it, but to identify with it, and to stand by it, no matter what the cost, especially since that "truth" is being concealed by our so-called leaders.

Would I be right?

We got a little off track here, but I'm not talking about the movie. I'm pretty sure Spielberg had good intentions, and made the movie in good faith. And I'm not criticising the main characters in the movie, either. I'm certain they were good Americans, fighting against the establishment and for truth and justice at the time (in the 70s).

However, this movie serves (maybe unintentionally) as a propaganda piece for the Washington Post. And again, most of the world knows, except a large portion of the American people, what the Washington Post and all the other US mainstream media outlets have become, in this brave new year of 2018. A warmongering bs propaganda lie factory serving the interests of the global bankers and  corporations.

Interesting. Josh, you say "all". Is there not one USA media outlet (TV, newspaper, blog, vlog, radio station, columnist, author, presenter) who's going against the grain? Are they all under the all-seeing eye as depicted on the $1 bill? It would be iteresting if you could provide some proof of this. Habeas corpus, eh?

I believe that we are nearing that tipping point, but I do not believe that we are there, just yet. It's not quite 1984, the USA is not quite BB, and you are not quite Winston Smith (although you could by Syme...and look what happened to him...).

I would like to think that there are some...let's call them "independent " thinkers, out there. What say you?

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

Interesting. Josh, you say "all". Is there not one USA media outlet (TV, newspaper, blog, vlog, radio station, columnist, author, presenter) who's going against the grain? Are they all under the all-seeing eye as depicted on the $1 bill? It would be iteresting if you could provide some proof of this. Habeas corpus, eh?

I believe that we are nearing that tipping point, but I do not believe that we are there, just yet. It's not quite 1984, the USA is not quite BB, and you are not quite Winston Smith (although you could by Syme...and look what happened to him...).

I would like to think that there are some...let's call them "independent " thinkers, out there. What say you?

What do you not understand about MAINSTREAM media?

Oh, there are many many independent media outlets in the US (run by brave, awake Americans) fighting desperately for the truth. The corrupt fake news media labels them "conspiracy theorists" and the dumbest of the dumb actually agree with that assessment.

It's called alternative media. Do your homework, and please don't ask me what the difference between alternative and mainstream media is.

22 minutes ago, king mark said:

C.d. has 3 good tracks and film is full of plot holes

Which 3 are your favourites? 

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

What do you not understand about MAINSTREAM media?

Oh, there are many many independent media outlets in the US (run by brave, awake Americans) fighting desperately for the truth. The corrupt fake news media labels them "conspiracy theorists" and the dumbest of the dumb actually agree with that assessment.

It's called alternative media. Do your homework, and please don't ask me what the difference between alternative and mainstream media is.

All you saying that "all" (your words) mainstream media is akin to how Danny describes all hairdressers?

Are there absolutely no dissenters?

Are there any lone voices in the wilderness that you have discovered?

I never know whether to lean more toward trusting the ones owned by the lizard people or the ones owned by the tall whites.  You definitely can't trust the ones owned by the walkins, though, that's for sure.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

All you saying that "all" (your words) mainstream media is akin to how Danny describes all hairdressers?

Are there absolutely no dissenters?

Are there any lone voices in the wilderness that you have discovered?

What makes you think the corrupt fake US mainstream media is actually independent? Again, do your homework. This is not something one can explain in a few paragraphs (if it were so easy, more people would be awake), because the rabbit hole goes so deep. Trust me, as you go along, you'll find that, where Uncle Sam is concerned, it's ALL a lie. Just keep an open mind and try to find the truth on your own....

On this note, the celebrated filmmaker Oliver Stone is one of the bravest and most awake people in the US today, working tirelessly for truth and justice (and against the corrupt US government). He's just one example, but listen carefully to his brief speech here.... He's asking, almost begging, the younger people in his country (it almost seems like he knows the older people are hopeless cases) to start using their heads, not to go along with the brainwashed and dumbed-down masses, and stand up to the warmongering, corrupt US government and its propaganda lies. If you don't even know you're being subjected to bs propaganda 24/7, it's hard to get it, but once you do, there's no going back, ever. Anyway, he's truly an American hero, who actually did his homework and research and is fully, 100% aware of what's going on.... 

One thing of interest is that he laments the fact that he is constantly subjected to ridicule and attack by those aforementioned dumb masses, because of his knowledge of the truth and his fight to get it out in the open.

The last sentence is particularly of note: "Try to find the true inner meaning of your life here on earth, and never give up on your heart, and your struggle for peace, decency, and telling the truth."

On ‎17‎.‎1‎.‎2018 at 3:53 PM, filmmusic said:

This score sounds to me like a starting John Williams in his 20s.

Not meaning that it sounds like the scores he wrote then, but I mean that it sounds like a score of a starting composer in the business.

Really?? And you haven't seen the film? 

How disrespectful and stupid comment this is again. You are something. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Is it right to stay that Tintin and Hook are his most ambitious non-franchise scores?

Close Encounters are AI are pretty ambituous

Tintin and Hook probably have the most amount notes written though, along with Far and Away and AI

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

Close Encounters are AI are pretty ambituous

Tintin and Hook probably have the most amount notes written though, along with Far and Away and AI

I am not over-familiar with the themes or motifs of either. Do they have as many as Hook or as many as Tintin?

On 20/1/2018 at 12:37 AM, hornist said:

Really?? And you haven't seen the film? 

How disrespectful and stupid comment this is again. You are something. 

Ok, i am a patient enough man but you're very insulting constantly and I wonder how you haven't been banned from this forum yet!!! :angry:

Can't I express my opinion freely?

Why is it stupid or disrespectful? I was polite  in the way I put it.

Why i have to declare every Williams score a masterpiece?

it seems maybe I should use the ignore function eventually, which i haven't used for anyone ever in any forum!