• 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I haven't seen the movie yet.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Tintin is a JW modern masterpiece I think. It is one of Williams most dazzling and ambitious scores with over a dozen themes and motifs in a single non-franchise score and extremely complex orchestration (probably the most complex of his career) and very fast paced music encompassing a wide variety of musical constructs and styles.

I think Tintin is more comparable to Hook if anything.

Is it right to stay that Tintin and Hook are his most ambitious non-franchise scores?

Snowy's Theme blows me away with its originality and creativity. 

Seriously, that piece is a masterpiece.

But the whole score is great. Wonder when the sequel will be made....

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Ok, i am a patient enough man but you're very insulting constantly and I wonder how you haven't been banned from this forum yet!!! :angry:

Can't I express my opinion freely?

Why is it stupid or disrespectful? I was polite  in the way I put it.

Why i have to declare every Williams score a masterpiece?

it seems maybe I should use the ignore function eventually, which i haven't used for anyone ever in any forum!

Yes, I admit that I can be quite an ass sometimes when too drunk but I have to say that this time I had a point. You are saying that it sounds like music by 20 old composer rehearsing work:blink: and if you havent seen the film you cannot bash music because its composed for....a film.

That remains me when Tintin came and someone was wondering here why there is that "ugly" tubular bells moment in main theme. Its that hit in Tintins head. This is Filmusic, Filmmusic!!

If they want to ban me stating the obvious, please ban me.

8 hours ago, hornist said:

That remains me when Tintin came and someone was wondering here why there is that "ugly" tubular bells moment in main theme. Its that hit in Tintins head. This is Filmusic, Filmmusic!!

That's no excuse for an ugly tubular bells moment, however, this moment doesn't need any excuse, cause it's not ugly.

The score is fantastic in the film. As an OST it's pretty good but with only 3 or 4 highlights depending on who is counting. The film itself is pretty middling for Spielberg, below Bridge of Spies and Lincoln.

14 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The film itself is pretty middling for Spielberg, below Bridge of Spies and Lincoln.

Bridge of Spies is the worst post Schindler's List Spielberg movie. I can't stand this movie, and not just because Thomas Newman scored it. It just rubs me the wrong way. I even consider the BFG a better movie than Spies. 

The Post is equally rather unimpressive, but still better than Spies!

• 2 weeks later...

3½ for the score, 3½ for the film.

I just saw the film yesterday and thought the subject matter very intriguing and the message worthwhile but also thought that good ol' Spielberg again telegraphed and underlined the message a tad too much. At times I was expecting Tom Hanks to start soliloquying straight to the viewers about the liberty of the press and civil disobedience in the face of censure.

But I felt the performances were very strong and understated and without too many overt histrionics. Which made them more endearing actually.

Williams' music worked throughout and was indeed well spotted. When we get to the Presses Roll you really feel it is the natural musical culmination, which was further enhanced by the relative lack of score through most of the film. Then again I stand behind my statement about the finale which feels too nobly Americana and sugary for my tastes. Something less "and they lived happily ever after" would have been better. But the few moments before the end credits where the dark energetic music for the Watergate burglary plays is fantastic. Also the lengthy Deciding to Publish which isn't very exciting on disc is actually very effective in the film.

I just realised something. The first track, The Papers, sounds very much like Saving Buckbeak. It's the same rhythm and atmosphere, written in the same spirit. I guess it's the conspiratorial thing, something's afoot! :D

That alone makes the music great. I still find the movie to be very underwhelming, although not as bad as Bridges of Spies.

On 1/30/2018 at 6:53 AM, artguy360 said:

The score is fantastic in the film. As an OST it's pretty good but with only 3 or 4 highlights depending on who is counting. The film itself is pretty middling for Spielberg, below Bridge of Spies and Lincoln.

I find Tintin the movie very well pulled off. I like it more than the OST.