John Williams' 'Film Night' in Boston - May 23 & 24, 2018

Andrej

I’ll be there this time. Been trying for the last 3 years. Something always came up. Keeping those days open this year. 600 miles drive here we go. 

Good tip. What about seating? Any recommendations for best sound and view of the maestro and orchestra? I guess I’d like to be close enough, but not too close so I can’t see the  trumpet players. 

Some members here like the balcony seats, for a good view of everything, including the whole orchestra. It sounds like that might be best for you. The only real downside I can think of is having to turn in your chair a bit to face the stage. If you sit on the floor, you'll be at a table with other members of the audience, which is a little informal and some people find distracting. But it can be fun to get floor seats close to the stage, just to be able to watch Williams conduct. You won't see most of the orchestra from this point of view, though, and the sound may not be as balanced.

Sometimes I go two nights in a row and do the balcony for one show, and the floor for the other, just to enjoy both perspectives. Might as well see both shows if you're already making the trip, assuming you're able and willing to spend the money. The program is typically the same though.

Unfortunately I can’t make the 2nd night, as I have to be back home for some gigs and it’s a fairly long drive. I was thinking of possibly the very first row of the first balcony. Good compromise I guess. Probably what I’ll aim for. 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

How expensive do these tickets usually go for/how fast do they sell out, once available? I've never seen JW conduct live, and would really like to before I run out of time. I live in NYC, and either Boston or Philly would be doable for me to take Amtrak out there to see a performance. Thanks.

Any update on when tickets will go on sale?

5 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

How expensive do these tickets usually go for/how fast do they sell out, once available? I've never seen JW conduct live, and would really like to before I run out of time. I live in NYC, and either Boston or Philly would be doable for me to take Amtrak out there to see a performance. Thanks.

I'd say somewhere between $50 and $120 depending on where you are seated.

On 1/21/2018 at 9:06 PM, ricsim88 said:

Good tip. What about seating? Any recommendations for best sound and view of the maestro and orchestra? I guess I’d like to be close enough, but not too close so I can’t see the  trumpet players. 

When I was there in 2016, I had the floor, Section 1, Row B (so 2nd to the band, near Mr Williams) and the sound was wonderful. I also had a very good view on him conducting. I paid 120$ and got my ticket via phone, as the website crashed all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I would imagine the phone sales is even slower....the numbers are dropping pretty fast, I was number 452 to start and its down to 256 now, after 15 minutes.

You might think that, but it's how I've gotten tickets in previous years, while waiting for the site to slowwwwwwlllyyyy process my requests. I've actually spent up to an hour and a half on the site before.

That said, I got my ticket this year almost instantly. Not sure if they finally improved the site, or if I was lucky.

Oh, and if you do call you might have to try a few times to get through (based on past experience).

When I selected mine, it said it was the only available ticket in that section.  Weird.

My ticket says:

Section First Balcony Left | Row B | Seat 1

Got tickets for both nights! Usually I’m at one of the tables right in front of him, but for the first time, all four of those were already sold out right at 10:00. So I’ll be at the table across the aisle from those.

I don't have any particular expectations regarding the program; I imagine it will be the usual selections, but I do hope he plays the new arrangement of Han Solo & the Princess. It would be nice to hear it live.

I was in flights all day, so barely got my tickets now.

First time seeing the Maestro, lifelong wish of mine to see him conduct in person!

I was able to get Row B | Seat 4 and 5 in the front center section on the evening of the 23rd.

• 2 months later...

Program details:

On May 23 and 24 the incomparable John Williams returns to the Pops stage to lead John Williams’ Film Night, one of the most treasured annual Pops traditions since 1997. Sure to be a highlight of the season, Boston Pops Conductor Laureate John Williams will lead the orchestra in some of his recent music including excerpts from his new score to Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The concert will also feature some of the most memorable movie music and film clips of all time, among them several iconic movie themes by Williams himself—including a performance of “With Malice Toward None” from Lincoln, the theme from Jurassic Park, and music from Superman, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and War Horse. The concert opens with the composer’s energizing “Olympic Fanfare and Theme.” Mr. Williams will be joined on the podium for the first time by BSO Youth and Family Concerts Conductor Thomas Wilkins.

https://www.thebostoncalendar.com/events/john-williams-film-night

Olympic Fanfare and Theme! That'll be great! 

BTW, anybody from the board going this year? I'll be there solo

So I was planning to go, but ever since the Vienna show was announced, I have been doubting whether to go or not.... Today I finally decided that I will take my chances and try to get tickets for the Vienna concert. Therefore, I am selling my two tickets for the second night! Not trying to make a profit, selling them at the same price I bought them :) 

Orchestra Price 3 - Seats S2 and S1

Total Single Tickets Cost: $136.00

Order Subtotal: $136.00

Fees: $13.00

Total: $149.00

If someone is interested (or maybe your friends/family), please send me a PM :)

Here's the full program for the two Boston concerts:  

“JOHN WILLIAMS’ FILM NIGHT”
May 23 & 24, 2018, Boston, MA
The Boston Pops Orchestra conducted by Thomas Wilkins and JOHN WILLIAMS

CONCERT PROGRAM

Thomas Wilkins Conducting:

• Buckaroo Holiday from Rodeo (Copland)
  • Times Square: 1944 from On the Town (Bernstein)
  • I Would Do Anything for Love (Steinman/Walden)
  • You Must Remember This: A Cinematic Sing-Along (w/projections)
    As Time Goes By - Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head - Moon River
    Que Será, Será - Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah - Over The Rainbow
  • Bohemian Rhapsody (Mercury/Walden)
  • Rhapsody in Blue (Gershwin)
    Yo-Fei Chuang, pianist

INTERMISSION

John Wiliams Conducting:

• The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • A Child’s Tale – Suite from The BFG
  • Theme from Jurassic Park
  • With Malice Toward None from Lincoln
  • Four Selections from Star Wars
    The Adventures of Han from Solo: A Star Wars Story (WORLD PREMIERE)
    The Rebellion is Reborn from The Last Jedi
    Han Solo and the Princess from The Empire Strikes Back
    The Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars

ENCORES

• To Lenny, To Lenny (For New York)
  • The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back

Open rehearsal report, by Frank Lehman (originally posted here):

I just attended an open rehearsal of tomorrow's Boston Pops concert (with the maestro himself conducting!). It's going to feature the world premiere of "The Adventures of Han," as well as Pops premieres of "Rebellion is Reborn" and the new "Han Solo & the Princess" arrangement.

I've got a lot to say about the new Solo piece, which I'm sure we'll all be poring over soon enough. But I thought I'd just share this much -- you're going to love it. It's complex, substantial, and memorable. There's some impossibly virtuosic trumpet writing in the middle that is especially impressive, very much in the vein of "Rey's Journey" from TLJ, only even more elaborate. In fact, the whole piece feels like a hybrid of straight-forward character themes (themes--yes, there's two) and action set-piece. I noticed some welcome shades of the ostinatos from "I Can Fly Anything" and the little recurring octatonic motif from "The Battle of Crait." 

If it's using this thematic material, I imagine Powell's score should be a real barn-burner!

The concert will be broadcast Sunday, May 27 on WCRB

http://classicalwcrb.org/post/film-night-boston-pops

Oh shit!  Thank fucking jesus for WCRB.

What a program!  You can tell he's fond of the BFG suite, it's been in his program so consistently over the past almost two years.  I mean, I know it's just one of his newest concert showcases but still, has there been one of these guest conductor concerts where he hasn't included it?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh shit!  Thank fucking jesus for WCRB.

What a program!  You can tell he's fond of the BFG suite, it's been in his program so consistently over the past almost two years.  I mean, I know it's just one of his newest concert showcases but still, has there been one of these guest conductor concerts where he hasn't included it?

Sometimes you give the audience what it wants.  Other times you give it what it needs.  

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You'll hear no complaints from me.  I've loved that suite from first listen.  There are pros and cons to the album and concert versions, both great.

The con of the concert version is the removal of the (what I think we called) the friendship theme.  My guess is that Williams did not want the piece to go near 10 minutes, but I say you cannot have too much of a  good thing.