Question About the Star Wars Soundtracks

The Illustrious Jerry

Hey! First post here. Could anyone tell me where I can find the soundtracks for the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy and the Original Trilogy? I'm not super knowledgeable and I'm wondering where can I purchase the complete OSTs at a reasonable price. I'm trying to get my collection going so if someone could help that would be great!

Hiya!

This is a loaded question, and people have a lot of feelings about what the best releases are.  

The “most complete” releases of the original trilogy are the 2-disc special editions.  However, those are out of print and command a high price.

HOWEVER, you can get this box set for about $45 - it includes all of the prequel OSTs and all three special editions of the original trilogy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015NOT9FY/ref=tmm_acd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1516683916&sr=1-4

If you get that, the only thing* you’re missing is the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition.  Unfortunately, that is also out of print and going for quite a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000051VYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_voSzAbKPGCFRC

*(there are a few things not included on these releases - Lapti Nek and Yub Nub/Ewok Celebration, which were replaced for the special edition.  Those are available on The Return of the Jedi OST album, or the 4-disc 1993 Arista boxset)

Forget the CDs! Try to find a good copy of the original vinyl of Star Wars.

499904088732d517435756867c159a0469daab6b

Or you can buy a new 180 gram restored version (I've not yet heard it though):

starwars-gold_1800x.jpg?v=1473881740

On 23/01/2018 at 12:11 AM, mstrox said:

Hiya!

This is a loaded question, and people have a lot of feelings about what the best releases are.  

The “most complete” releases of the original trilogy are the 2-disc special editions.  However, those are out of print and command a high price.

HOWEVER, you can get this box set for about $45 - it includes all of the prequel OSTs and all three special editions of the original trilogy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015NOT9FY/ref=tmm_acd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1516683916&sr=1-4

If you get that, the only thing* you’re missing is the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition.  Unfortunately, that is also out of print and going for quite a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000051VYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_voSzAbKPGCFRC

*(there are a few things not included on these releases - Lapti Nek and Yub Nub/Ewok Celebration, which were replaced for the special edition.  Those are available on The Return of the Jedi OST album, or the 4-disc 1993 Arista boxset)

Thanks for this!

I had seen that box set elsewhere for something like 80 bucks. It sucks that there is no definitive complete soundtrack out there for all the movies. Looking at those track listings though, it seems like this is as good as it gets (for now).

Does anyone know why ultimate editions were never released for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith and why the Phantom Menace ultimate edition is so hard to find? Also I listened to the ROTS soundtrack and I don't think the track listing is chronological. Anyone know the order for that movie?  For example, the CD goes from the opening title to Battle of the Heroes. What's up with that?

Ah okay, thanks! But there are still some mixed up things. I've seen that movie plenty of times and I know that Greivous is long dead before the Immolation Scene yet it's the other way around on the soundtrack. I tried to piece it together but I'm still not sure. 

Johnny typically doesn't arrange his music in chronological order, but tries to craft a good listening experience.

By the way, in case you aren't aware, the TPM Ultimate Edition album isn't complete; it's just an isolated score of the music heard as it is in the film. There's like an hour of unreleased material yet.

TPM, AOTC, ROTS: The OST albums are Out Of Print on physical formats (CD and LP), but available digitally everywhere.

TPM: There was a 2CD album called "The Ultimate Edition" that is also now OOP; It wasn't a "proper" 2CD set though, it was basically an isolated score dump of the final film, which works fine for some films, but in the case of TPM George Lucas hacked up, moved around, and edited the score after recording so much, it is an incoherent mess.

AOTC & ROTS never got any sort of "Ultimate Edition" release

All thee prequels had MOST Of the music that wasn't put on their OST albums "leak" out via LucasArts putting it in their various Star Wars games made after the films.  So, you can hunt down on various online places we can't link to here "fan edits" that people have assembled by combining the OST with clean music from the video games, using the original sheet music as a guide to put everything in its proper spot.

SW, TESB, ROTJ: These films received a 4CD box set in 1993 with a ton of music that wasn't on their original albums, then in 1997 they each got their own 2CD set that were all "mostly" complete.  These are now completely Out Of Print.  The original OST albums are also currently OOP on physical CD, but LPs are available and they are on all the digital platforms.

TFA and TLJ: All we have are the OST album for each, plus the FYC album for each.  TLJ's FYC album is currently streaming for free on Disney's FYC site, and you might be lucky and find a physical copy on ebay.  For TFA, Disney is no longer streaming the FYC album, but copies turn up on ebay all the time.

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Thanks! I had seen that box set elsewhere for like 80 bucks. It sucks that there is no complete complete complete soundtrack out there for all the movies. Looking at those track listings though, it seems like this is as good as it gets! The original trilogy seems very complete. Unfortunate about that prequel trilogy dilemma. Does anyone know why Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith never came out with ultimate editions and why Phantom Menace ultimate edition is so hard to find? I listened to ROTS soundtrack and it looked like the track listings were all mixed up. Anyone know the real order for that movie? RIght now the CD goes from the opening title to Battle of the Heroes. What,s up with that?

Star Wars and Empire are very close to complete.  Jedi is missing a small handful of stuff, mainly source music.  People around here have concerns about the sound quality of Empire and Jedi.

The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition is out of print.  Tons and tons and tons of copies exist - once something goes out of print, though, opportunists shoot the price up to try and make a buck.  Annoying.  Same with the two disc original trilogy stuff - printed and reprinted and threeprinted and fourprinted, but now they're out of print and the butt-holes are charging an arm and a leg for them.

John Williams arranges all of his OSTs for listening order, and doesn't often conform to the chronological order in the movie.  For instance, take a look at his original track list for Star Wars 77!

Spoiler

1. "Main Title" – 5:21
  2. "Imperial Attack" – 6:16
  3. "Princess Leia's Theme" – 4:22
  4. "The Desert and the Robot Auction" – 2:52
  5. "Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack" – 3:46
  6. "The Little People Work" – 4:01
  7. "Rescue of the Princess" – 4:46
  8. "Inner City" – 4:13
  9. "Cantina Band" – 2:45

1. "The Land of the Sandpeople" – 2:49
  2. "Mouse Robot and Blasting Off" – 4:01
  3. "The Return Home" – 2:45
  4. "The Walls Converge" – 4:32
  5. "The Princess Appears" – 4:03
  6. "The Last Battle" – 12:06
  7. "The Throne Room and End Title" – 5:27

Ben dies right after Luke buys the droids, the princess is rescued before the cantina scene, and she doesn't even appear until the last act!

Here is the chronological order of ROTS, per http://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2009/04/star-wars-revenge-of-sith.html

S1 - Star Wars and The Revenge of the Sith (7:31)
S7 - Grievous and the Droids (3:27)
S13 - Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious (2:49)
S2 - Anakin's Dream (4:46)
S6 - Palpatine's Teachings (5:25)
S5 - General Grievous (4:07)
S8 - Padme's Ruminations (3:16)
S4 - Anakin's Betrayal (4:03)
S11 - Enter Lord Vader (4:14)
S10 - Anakin's Dark Deeds (4:05)
S9 - Anakin vs Obi-Wan (3:57)
S3 - Battle of the Heroes (3:42)
S12 - The Immolation Scene (2:41)
S14 - The Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny (3:37)
S15 - A New Hope and End Credits (13:05)

40 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Does anyone know why Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith never came out with ultimate editions and why Phantom Menace ultimate edition is so hard to find?

Well, The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition is a now good example, I think, of "What not to do" when you release an Expanded Score, i.e. release the exact music we hear in the movie, with all the loops and the strange edits...

This Ultimate Edition was generally very badly received... so they stopped. It's why I think we didn't have an expanded release yet of the other two movies.

Now, Star Wars really deserve the "Mike Matessino" treatment.

Yes, when we talk about the Star Wars scores, the best is still yet to come, unfortunately!

My advice for a new young fan who wants the "Star Wars" scores would be this: try to find a used copy of the 1993 Anthology boxset, it's really a "thing".... Then buy all the rest digitally and wait for proper expansions.

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

Jedi SE is completely unlistenable, Empire isn't great, either.

The SEs were my introduction to each score - to my then-13-year-old ears, they all sounded fine.  Today, I can hear the difference if I listen to two tracks against each other from different releases, but my preferred album is still the SE.  It doesn't mean they're great, but I'd argue against "unlistenable."

I was the exact same way, but now, whenever I want to listen to it, just thinking about that sound quality puts me off it. I just can't make myself listen to it even if I really want to.

On 23/01/2018 at 9:36 AM, mstrox said:

Star Wars and Empire are very close to complete.  Jedi is missing a small handful of stuff, mainly source music.  People around here have concerns about the sound quality of Empire and Jedi.

The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition is out of print.  Tons and tons and tons of copies exist - once something goes out of print, though, opportunists shoot the price up to try and make a buck.  Annoying.  Same with the two disc original trilogy stuff - printed and reprinted and threeprinted and fourprinted, but now they're out of print and the butt-holes are charging an arm and a leg for them.

John Williams arranges all of his OSTs for listening order, and doesn't often conform to the chronological order in the movie.  For instance, take a look at his original track list for Star Wars 77!

Reveal hidden contents

Ben dies right after Luke buys the droids, the princess is rescued before the cantina scene, and she doesn't even appear until the last act!

Here is the chronological order of ROTS, per http://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2009/04/star-wars-revenge-of-sith.html

S1 - Star Wars and The Revenge of the Sith (7:31)
S7 - Grievous and the Droids (3:27)
S13 - Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious (2:49)
S2 - Anakin's Dream (4:46)
S6 - Palpatine's Teachings (5:25)
S5 - General Grievous (4:07)
S8 - Padme's Ruminations (3:16)
S4 - Anakin's Betrayal (4:03)
S11 - Enter Lord Vader (4:14)
S10 - Anakin's Dark Deeds (4:05)
S9 - Anakin vs Obi-Wan (3:57)
S3 - Battle of the Heroes (3:42)
S12 - The Immolation Scene (2:41)
S14 - The Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny (3:37)
S15 - A New Hope and End Credits (13:05)

That makes sense, thanks! And also, for everyone talking about listening to the album as it is, I just wanted to know the chronological order because I'd prefer to listen to it that way. Thanks! 

Does anyone know if/think that complete editions may ever be released, particularly for the prequels? Now with Disney at the helm, it can't be long until we see a legitimate complete soundtrack collection, right?

13 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Does anyone think that OST complete editions may ever be released, particularly for AOTC and ROTS? Now with Disney at the helm and all, it can,t be long until we see a legitimate complete soundtrack collection.

In 2027 it will be the 50th anniversary of Star Wars.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « i say patience anakin »

43 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Does anyone think that OST complete editions may ever be released, particularly for AOTC and ROTS? Now with Disney at the helm and all, it can,t be long until we see a legitimate complete soundtrack collection.

Nobody really has any public knowledge on this, at this point.

I will say that if they decide to do this, they have a perfect 1.5 year period between Solo and Episode IX (May 2018 to Dec 2019) to release archival stuff such as expanded soundtracks - without mucking around with another new film's promotional cycle.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I think that Kathleen Kennedy has very much been a fan of and champion for the Mike Matessino-produced expanded editions of many Williams scores for the Spielberg films she produced, and she will likely at some point soon hire Mike to do the same for John's Star Wars scores, but there will not likely be any sort of public announcement that this has happened until they are ready to come out, and who knows when that will possibly be.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think that Kathleen Kennedy has very much been a fan of and champion for the Mike Matessino-produced expanded editions of many Williams scores for the Spielberg films she produced, and she will likely at some point soon hire Mike to do the same for John's Star Wars scores, but there will not likely be any sort of public announcement that this has happened until they are ready to come out, and who knows when that will possibly be.

I'm guessing the OSTs first will be re-released on CD.

At this point, it's out of print.  You MAY find it in stores, but it'd be a crapshoot and a lucky find.  If you find a reasonable price online, I'd just dive in.

(At retail price, that box is a real bargain - I spent $25-30 apiece on each of the original trilogy special editions, and probably $15-18 on the prequel OSTs)

Ok thank you! 

47 bucks on Amazon or 57 bucks on Walmart. Fair enough? Looks like this chat has been a success. I think I'm going to buy it. Thanks folks for your numerous speedy responses. Stay updated for more questions (probably) :lol:

I'm a little bit jealous, because this boxset looks very nice... but hey, I already have all this stuff separately!

p_sw_ultimate.jpg

Star Wars: The Ultimate Soundtrack Edition (2016, Sony Classical, 88875167302, 10 CDs + 1 DVD, Compilation; London SO/Williams, London Voices, New London Children's Ch.)

The Phantom Menace – Original 1999 soundtrack album reissued on 1CD; Attack of the Clones – Original 2002 soundtrack album reissued on 1CD; Revenge of the Sith – Original 2005 soundtrack album reissued on 1CD; Star Wars – 1997 2CD Expanded Edition reissued on 2CD; The Empire Strikes Back – 1997 2CD Expanded Edition reissued on 2CD; Return of the Jedi – 1997 2CD Expanded Edition reissued on 2CD; Bonus CD featuring audio interviews with Harrison Ford and John Williams; Star Wars: A Musical Journey – Re-release of the 2005 DVD highlighting select musical themes alongside key sequences from the films.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Jedi SE is completely unlistenable, Empire isn't great, either.

7 hours ago, mstrox said:

The SEs were my introduction to each score - to my then-13-year-old ears, they all sounded fine.  Today, I can hear the difference if I listen to two tracks against each other from different releases, but my preferred album is still the SE.  It doesn't mean they're great, but I'd argue against "unlistenable."

7 hours ago, Holko said:

I was the exact same way, but now, whenever I want to listen to it, just thinking about that sound quality puts me off it. I just can't make myself listen to it even if I really want to.

I agree with Mike.

If you get the opportunity, try to listen to ROTJ on the 4-disc Anthology. It really is a lot better than the SE.

It's a shame that you don't listen to ROTJ, as it contains some very good music. 

9 hours ago, Richard said:

I agree with Mike.

If you get the opportunity, try to listen to ROTJ on the 4-disc Anthology. It really is a lot better than the SE.

It's a shame that you don't listen to ROTJ, as it contains some very good music. 

But it's not complete! :crymore:

I know it's a shame, I LOVE that score, but every release of it so far is deeply flawed.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

But it's not complete! :crymore:

I know it's a shame, I LOVE that score, but every release of it so far is deeply flawed.

I think that, barring some miracle, it's going to stay incomplete.

I assume that Lucasfilm/Disney has either the original multi-track, or the master tapes?

If that's the case, a restoration is entirely possible. Otherwise, it's a case of "make do and mend".

I always thought that the sound of ROTJ was because nobody knew how to use the (then new) digital equipment, but, apparently, the tapes are in a pristine condition..somewhere...

Apparently, the SE sounded unbelievably great before some buffoon misconfigured the last stage of DNR, shearing high frequencies right off, and some other idiots actually said it's OK, they can print it like this. The masters themselves are pristine and perfect (at least they were in '97, I hope they put them in proper conservation). Empire used second-degree water-damaged masters for the SE, but I seem to remember the real, proper masters have been located not long after. They're both just been sitting in the vaults for 20 years, waiting for someone to do something with them, while the fucked-up versions were kept in circulation, even "accidentally" reprinted in that recent boxset that was supposed to have the OST programs. This is the part that just infuriates me everytime I think about it.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Apparently, the SE sounded unbelievably great before some buffoon misconfigured the last stage of DNR, shearing high frequencies right off, and some other idiots actually said it's OK, they can print it like this. The masters themselves are pristine and perfect (at least they were in '97, I hope they put them in proper conservation). Empire used second-degree water-damaged masters for the SE, but I seem to remember the real, proper masters have been located not long after. They're both just been sitting in the vaults for 20 years, waiting for someone to do something with them, while the fucked-up versions were kept in circulation, even "accidentally" reprinted in that recent boxset that was supposed to have the OST programs. This is the part that just infuriates me everytime I think about it.

What's infuriating is that there are people who insist that the RotJ SE set sounds "good" or they're at least content with it.

Well, the 1983 OST album sounds fantastic, but is very short.

The 1993 CD is pretty great

The 1997 2CD set has almost all of the score, which is really cool, but random inserts are tucked into odd spots, and the whole thing was sourced from less-than-stellar-sounding tapes, so doesn't sound as good as either prior CD version.

22 minutes ago, Jerry said:

What's the matter with ROTJ soundtrack? 

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

the whole thing was sourced from less-than-stellar-sounding tapes, so doesn't sound as good as either prior CD version.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Apparently, the SE sounded unbelievably great before some buffoon misconfigured the last stage of DNR, shearing high frequencies right off, and some other idiots actually said it's OK, they can print it like this. The masters themselves are pristine and perfect (at least they were in '97, I hope they put them in proper conservation).

The ROTJ master tapes are definitely in great condition; Lucasfilm had them digitally transferred at some point and those great transfers were used for the ROTS bonus DVD, various Star Wars video games, and probably other internal projects.  But they never made a new commercial CD utilizing them.  Hopefully Kennedy will hire Matessino to do just that, at some point.