John Williams nominated for 51st Oscar, for "The Last Jedi"

Bowie

Bastards, ruined his perfectly round nomination number! Now they'll have to give him 9 more so he can beat old Walt and get an even number at the same time.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Bastards, ruined his perfectly round nomination number! Now they'll have to give him 9 more so he can beat old Walt and get an even number at the same time.

With 52, though, we could rank each nominated score according to a deck of cards.

Four nominations for TLJ ain't that bad at all! Too bad Spielberg's oscar-bait only god 2 nominations, although it did get best picture.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

It's nice to see him nominated, but I'm sorry to say that he hasn't a hope of winning.

Not with that attitude.

:lol:

Btw, are you referring to JW or Elgar?

Wrong film for his nomination. But sometimes they nominate scores that have a lot of mundane music instead of scores that have great music in a short amount of time.

I am also sad "War for the Planet of the Apes" was not nominated. It was the best score of the year. I saw the movie twice just because I wanted to hear the score again in the film.

Happy JW was nominated again.

Will he win this time? Don't count on it!

I gave up on JW ever winning another Oscar around 2005, when he didn't win for POA! 

43 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

At least it's good he didn't get a double nomination - then he would definitely lose.

Wait a minute!

1978 Oscars:

Williams-1978_Oscar_Win_Star_Wars.jpg

Actually, until pretty recently, I thought the same thing - that a double nomination meant an automatic disadvantage due to a "splitting of the vote". But then 2015 came along and I thought Desplat would lose because of noms for Grand Budapest and The Imitation Game. Well, I was wrong! I think now that Desplat won because the movie was esteemed by the academy and the score was memorable and effective. Star Wars was different. It was the rebirth of the old Hollywood score in a wildly successful film. So the music stood out both for its different style from its contemporaries and for its contribution to the film's success. And it's a highly memorable and effective score on top of that! So it's not really surprising that it won, even though it was up against Johnny's own other monumental score for Close Encounters.

Indeed, but now the times have changed. JW's musical style is still different from his competitors', but now I fear the academy voters look at his music more like old-fashioned instead of "fresh" as they did in 1978.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Indeed, but now the times have changed. JW's musical style is still different from his competitors', but now I fear the academy voters look at his music more like old-fashioned instead of "fresh" as they did in 1978.

In a way, this is an advantage for him, since the Academy likes to reward old Hollywood nostalgia (see La La Land, The Artist, etc).

8 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

In a way, this is an advantage for him, since the Academy likes to reward old Hollywood nostalgia (see La La Land, The Artist, etc).

If this is an advantage for him, he should have won already in this millennium. :)

I think there's a lot more running through voters' minds other than the other nominees. This being an installment in a franchise where no score past the original had merited an award, I think a lot of voters will be asking themselves: "Well, is is truly better than the previous ones, which we didn't grant an award, for it to win?"

The answer, to my mind, is sadly no, it isn't.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think there's a lot more running through voters' minds other than the other nominees. This being an installment in a franchise where no score past the original had merited an award, I think a lot of voters will be asking themselves: "Well, is is truly better than the previous ones, which we didn't grant an award, for it to win?"

The answer, to my mind, is sadly no, it isn't.

Well, the score is compared to the other nominees this year, not to previous scores in the same franchise.

11 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

TLJ is not going to win, but you are giving the academy voters way too much credit. I’d wager the vast majority of voters are not even that literate on the history of what films in the franchise did or didn’t win best score and don’t care enough to think deeply about whether TLJ is or isn’t better.  They probably just think “Williams already has Oscars and doesn’t need another.”

Exactly, I think most people just take it for granted that a Star Wars score by John Williams is gonna be quality and doesn't require a special trophy when he didn't really do anything out of the ordinary for the franchise, though most wouldn't bother arguing the nomination. Whereas the musical sequences in "Shape of Water" and "Phantom Thread" are more peculiarly engrossing and would stand out as more unique achievements to a voter glancing through the list.

15 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

They probably just think “Williams already has Oscars and doesn’t need another.”

Yeah, that's what I meant.

All unless its truly outstanding of course, which I'd argue The Last Jedi decidedly isn't.

Indeed. You have to keep in mind that voters are likely voting based on 3 conditions for this category:

1) Out of respect for the film

2) Out of respect for the composer

3) The music really made an impression

Star Wars fails on the first part, and Williams has secured enough wins and nominations to bypass the 2nd (hence the yearly token nomination, however deserving) and frankly the score doesn't have enough of a personality to make any real impression. So I wouldn't bet on TLJ any time soon. But congrats goes out to the maestro nonetheless!

Desplat will likely win, because Shape of Water is a real crowd favourite, but I'm really hoping Greenwood bags it. It's a decent group of nominees actually, but the Greenwood is the most deserving of the lot. 

Desplat wrote some of the best melodies of the year for The Shape of Water, so I'd be totally OK with that winning.  I enjoyed that score more than any of his previously nominated scores.  Williams' winning for TLJ and not for TFA would be bittersweet, but a win's a win, and he's sorely underpaid in Oscar gold for his contributions to the art form.

So yeah, it'll probably be Dunkirk.  Because ticktickticktickticktickticktick.

39 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

They probably just think “Williams already has Oscars and doesn’t need another.”

Like they thought "Goldsmith has won one Oscar twenty years ago and Alan Menken has won his third and fourth Oscar last year. So we'll give it to ... Alan."

This Has-Already-Won-Rule is just used when it seems to be wrong.

Good to see Williams nabbing another Nomination in his STAR WARS corpus as I was thinking he would be nominated. But  I am surprised THE POST didnt garner the obligatory Oscar nod. I have neither heard the score or seen the movie so I really can't judge.