90th Academy Awards (for 2017 films)

Jay

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

That was nice they didn't cut Gay Oldman  off

Lol. 

1 minute ago, Denise Bryson said:

Is it some allegory to illegal immigration or something?

Probably. It's a very fashionable crime to commit and sympathize with for the liberal mainstream and their elitist benefactors. 

Where oh where is the wall to keep out Mexico? 

Just about loved The Shape of Water's win. My favorite film of 2017. Plus now The Three Amigos all have Oscars.

Also quite like Get Out's screenplay win, and Denkins finally getting his due. The show went on for far too long, but the wins were not bad. 

Gary Oldman got his Oscar! The most important guy now to get his first acting Oscar is Ralph Fiennes!

Did they use this Gandalf-and-Frodo-carriage-trick for Jennifer Lawrence and Jodie Foster?!

The show was much too abbreviated this time. It was just awarding and not much show in between. Way too rushed this time.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Congrats to Desplat. Thoroughly deserved.

Not really, so bored score. But its always better than Zimmer's Dunkirk.

So, I'm going to listen again The Last Jedi and The Post.

3 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Top Best Picture Winners I've seen:

1. Titanic

2. The Silence of the Lambs

3. Annie Hall

4. Gladiator

5. The Apartment

And... Gone withe Wind, Rebecca, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia, French Connection, The Godfather 1 and 2, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Deer Hunter, Amadeus, Out Of Africa, Dances with Wolves, Unforgiven, Schindler's List, No Country For Old Men.

10 minutes ago, Obi said:

Not really, so bored score. But its always better than Zimmer's Dunkirk.

So, I'm going to listen again The Last Jedi and The Post.

And... Gone withe Wind, Rebecca, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia, French Connection, The Godfather 1 and 2, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Deer Hunter, Amadeus, Out Of Africa, Dances with Wolves, Unforgiven, Schindler's List, No Country For Old Men.

I can't fit all those in a Top 5.

23 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Was there some Hans Zimmer commercial or something? People are telling me there was?

Search for Hans Zimmer Walmart commercial on Youtube.

A few thoughts:

- Still don't get the appeal of any of the music nominees really. Whoever won would've been entirely down to the film's cache.

- SS's rush to finish The Post was completely futile. Completely overshadowed by Weinstein and equality statements.

More than usual, the clips I've seen felt overwhelmingly like an attempt by Hollywood to pretend that it actually cares about any of this, and for the audience to go into applause any time one of the winners suggests that we should be a bit nicer to each other. It's a very cynical view, but I don't see much evidence outside of PR that any of this has changed much.

It almost feels like the oscar isn't so much an award any more, but a licence for the winner to be the messenger for the prevailing political/social/crowd-pleasing theme.

It does matter (judging by the coverage of either the Oscar or #metoo) but shouldn't be taken too serious. A least not when you are interested in *original* contributions to the medium. And in a way that's kind of honest: i hear so many hardcore film nuts in our german FB groups yammering about the dickless nominees (hello The Post and Darkest Hour)/winners (hello Shape) but then, general audiences probably agree that Shape of Water is getting to them much more than Wind River or Riot in Cell Block X or Detroit or Mother!. 

I recall the scene where [spoilers for Titanic]

Spoiler

the iceberg comes into view

being impressive, but overall the boat film wouldn't even make my list of five nominees for Best Picture of 1997, what with films such as L.A. ConfidentialJackie BrownBoogie NIghtsThe Ice StormDeconstructing Harry, and Grosse Pointe Blank to choose from!

1 minute ago, Glóin the Dark said:

L.A. ConfidentialJackie BrownBoogie NIghtsThe Ice Storm, and Grosse Pointe Blank to choose from!

God, not those finger paintings again. They certainly were a waste of money.

15 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

It was disappointing to see yet another male win in the best actor category.

I though the Academy was going to start trying to be more diverse?

Women and children only! No men!

1 minute ago, JohnSolo said:

Titanic was not deserving of best picture.

I thought Titanic's win was very well deserved.

Which film that year do you think should have won?

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

I thought Titanic's win was very well deserved.

Such an interesting concept for a movie, only for it to dissolve into a melodramatic, boy-meets-girl chick flick. Stunning VFX aside, it's nothing really special.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

They should have saved the award for Avatar.  

Definitely.

Cheesy as it may be, it was a bonanza AND a technical achievement. No way it would have made way for The Ice Storm or Boogie Nights, all very good movies but come on. If you cut these event movies out at the Oscars, who's going to award them? The César...?

Every once in a while (and I mean very rarely) Hollywood manages to put out something that in its own way is truly game changing, and while doing so becomes a phenomenon...it hits on all cylinders, not just as a work of art, but as a crowd pleaser, pushing the envelope on what's been done before, advances new technologies and is monumentally ambitious.  Sometimes, they get it right and recognise these films (Titanic, Lord of the Rings) and sometimes they just drop the ball (Star Wars, Avatar).

Every year there are half a dozen films dealing with serious topics that are entertaining enough, and well made, and one wins the award, as it should, and then it's quickly and inevitably forgotten a year later. In the rare year that a truly extraordinary film comes along, the industry just embarrasses itself by not recognising that.

I got to rewatch Titanic a few days ago, twice, and while its still one of my favorite movies and it was deserving of its "best picture", its not that great. Its too long, turns to melodrama a few times, the characters outside Rose and Jack are cartboard cut-outs, and the way it cuts back to the framework story at the midpoint made me want to choke the old lady!

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And you've had too much LOTR. ;)

I actually haven't watched those in quite some time, so no.

I've had way, and I mean WAAAY too much Braveheart lately, though. I've only rediscovered it last year, so I had a lot of obsessive rewatches to catch up on! Same goes for Horner's score. I'll probably watch it next time with my family at memorial day, when its usually on TV.

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Every once in a while (and I mean very rarely) Hollywood manages to put out something that in its own way is truly game changing, and while doing so becomes a phenomenon...it hits on all cylinders, not just as a work of art, but as a crowd pleaser, pushing the envelope on what's been done before, advances new technologies and is monumentally ambitious.  Sometimes, they get it right and recognise these films (Titanic, Lord of the Rings) and sometimes they just drop the ball (Star Wars, Avatar).

Star Wars did get 6 Academy Awards out of 10 nominations. Not bad at all.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Star Wars did get 6 Academy Awards out of 10 nominations. Not bad at all.

What I find ironic about that is Rian Johnson has named Annie Hall, the film that beat Star Wars for best picture, as one of the films that influenced him most.  Which might explain why he hates Star Wars so much and worked so hard to kill it. 

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I stopped following this circus about 14 years ago. It really doesn't matter.

Karol

I didn't even know last night was Oscar night.

2 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Annie Hall > Star Wars.

You get a like for your courage!

I'm not a huge fan of the original Star Wars, but come on...

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

What I find ironic about that is Rian Johnson has named Annie Hall, the film that beat Star Wars for best picture, as one of the films that influenced him most.  Which might explain why he hates Star Wars so much and worked so hard to kill it. 

Rian's new SW trilogy:

Star Wars: The Annie Hall Chronicles