SCORE: The Last Jedi

The Illustrious Jerry

Before I share my thoughts on the OST for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, are there any specific moments in the soundtrack anyone would wish to highlight in this discussion?

Also, does anyone know the name of the new theme. I thought it was for Finn and Rose. Any ideas?

Edit: It's Rose's theme! Cool!

12 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Also, does anyone know the name of the recurring theme in Star Wars The Last Jedi. I believe it to be Finn and Rose's theme. ANy ideas?

Its Rose's theme. It of course applies to her entire storyline, which of course involves Finn, but the theme is undeniably hers.

Makes sense. I was close! 

Part one of my thoughts...

Main Title and Escape

I really liked the opening sequence of this movie. The way Williams scores it really caters to the action on screen, starting with the piccolo from A New Hope and continuing with the hurried Resistance theme and Kylo Ren's bombastic theme. I think there's a lot of similarities to be found in the structure of this opener when compared to Main Title and Attack on the Jakku Village from The Force Awakens. Obviously they start with the main title, then there's a big transition as the audience is eased into the movie. Kylo Ren's theme appears rather bluntly after a big buildup, and the Resistance them has a big role.

I really enjoyed the movie, nostalgia and all, and I think the soundtrack really helps to balance out the new and the old. The Force Awakens was also similar that way. Probably my favourite opening scene in the series, film and score alike. Up there with Revenge of the Sith for me.

More later...

Part two of my thoughts...

Ahch-To Island

I really liked everything that happened on Ahch-To in the movie, even though I think the name is funny! I like the way Luke Skywalker is portrayed in this movie and I think his concerns are completely justified by Ben Solo's betrayal. 

In this piece, Rey's theme accompanies the same theme from The Jedi Steps and Finale, which is nice because I really enjoyed hearing that in the theatre the first time. My favourite part of this track though is the music that goes with Luke's little routine. The music here will never die. It feels timeless and wonderful already, and we're only two tracks in! Visually the movie balances a lot of complex shots, and I believe that the score is equally impressive. This piece is a great example of Williams flexing his cinematic and symphonic abilities.

Revisiting Snoke

The music reminded me of Snoke's deep chanting choir from TFA. There's a bit of Kylo Ren's theme, particularly the second part of it, and there's also a cool dark Imperial March which works well.  The track didn't grab me when I first heard but it all blends well together in a foreboding way. Good stuff. 

The Supremacy 

The presence of the First Order is imminent with Kylo Ren's theme in this piece. The Resistance ship receives a shocking blow, propelling General Leia into the abyss of space. It's quiet and sorrowful, and then out of the darkness, Leia's Theme returns in all it's glory like it does in the original concert arrangement. Just beautiful. RIP Carrie Fisher.

More later...

Ah, I see. What a woman! (That's from Hunchback of Notre Dame :lol:)

Part three of my thoughts...

Fun With Finn and Rose

Rose's theme is introduced and carries this track. The Resistance theme and a hint of Leia's theme are tied in. I like the mix of the familiar ideas with the newest theme here. 

Old Friends

Nice low key piece for Luke's reunion with R2. It's quiet at first but the mood changes when R2 makes a "cheap move" (the Leia hologram, that is).

The Rebellion is Reborn

Rose's theme appears again, and the ending of this arrangement is excellent. Super duper impressive how Williams blends these themes together, in this piece and throughout this whole score.

Lesson One

Luke's lesson with Rey is accompanied by her theme and the Force theme (like Binary Sunset). My favourite part is when Rey slips off into her vision. There's some really neat music there that doesn't sound like much else in the score. 

Canto Bight

I liked this part of the movie! Canto Bight is like a rich version of the Mos Eisley cantina, and the music follows suit. I never thought Williams would have the chance to go back and do something quite like this piece. Fun!

Who Are You?

I don't really have much to say about this one. It was really quiet in my headphones. 

The Fathiers

I thought the horse creatures were a little strange looking but the music during the chase scene is top notch. Rose's theme puts the cherry on top as the track closes.

The Cave

As I listened to this, I wrote in my notepad "Quiet, now building up..." and that was it. Funny because that's kinda how the scene goes too. Building, building...and then nothing, which was interesting! The music is appropriate (but also kinda quiet).

More later...

So far, The Spark is my favourite track -the use of Luke & Leia, Han Solo & the Princess and then that music as Luke leaves to go outside and the climax which has echoes of the Imperial theme. Not altogether sold on Rose's Theme, sounds like something done before I can't place -such are my ears but the whole score is gradually growing on me.

On 24/01/2018 at 4:38 PM, Strangways said:

So far, The Spark is my favourite track -the use of Luke & Leia, Han Solo & the Princess and then that music as Luke leaves to go outside and the climax which has echoes of the Imperial theme. Not altogether sold on Rose's Theme, sounds like something done before I can't place -such are my ears but the whole score is gradually growing on me.

Yes, I enjoy The Spark a lot! My favorite part is the big crescendo when Luke emerges from the base onto the bloodied battlefield. Just great, great music.

Part four of my thoughts...

The Sacred Jedi Texts

I think this was one of my favourite scenes in the movie. The Force theme is in this a lot, but the best moment is when the camera moves across and we see the outline of Yoda. So cool to hear his theme again when he and Luke are talking.

A New Alliance

Oh no, I think this was also one of my favourite scenes in the movie :lol:. I love how foreboding the music is leading up to the big demise. The fight scene is super cool and the track fits it perfectly.

Chrome Dome

Maybe this was my favourite scene in the movie? I give up. Loved the dramatic effect of the silence, cool idea from the director. The strings carry us out from that shocking moment with a bit of sorrow before being followed by those thumping war drums and top notch battle music. Well done, Mr. Williams!

The Battle of Crait

I think this is my favourite piece from the score because like I have said it combines the new and old effortlessly. The Resistance theme is here in so many settings, along with more battle music from the opening scenes. Rey's theme gets an interesting moment too! Obviously the Here They Come reference will always be fun. But the film and score hit so many notes...to go from the joyous Falcon music to the sorrowful choir as Finn attempts to sacrifice himself. This track has it all.

More later...

Part five of my thoughts (almost done)...

The Spark

As I said in my comment above, this track is excellent. I'll repeat that my favourite bit is the crescendo when Luke walks on to the battlefield. I haven't heard much like that in the Williams scores that I'm familiar with.

The Last Jedi

Astonishing track! The choir, those strings, an insane moment for Kylo Ren's theme! I liked this part of the movie very, very much.

The final part is next...

The sixth and final part of my thoughts...

Peace and Purpose

Super emotional scene. Luke stares into the binary sunset, and Williams knows exactly what to do. Picture Williams as he watched this scene: "Yes, it'll be perfect!!!"

I also like Kylo Ren's theme in this track. Really cool hint for what might happen next with his character and the First Order.

Finale

When Leia's theme played as it said "To our princess Carrie Fisher" the theatre applauded. Very happy to have watched this movie with such a great atmosphere. What a way to end!

I meant to add this to the end of my last post, but that is all for my review of The Last Jedi!

Be sure to check my profile for new reviews in the coming weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Like I was saying......the music is SUPER. everything else about this movie is SHIT!!!! I'm like joyful of this stupid JWFAN members defend this movie. I don't give a s-it.This forum has gone to s-ith a long time ago........ ;)

21 minutes ago, MAG-SI said:

Like I was saying......the music is SUPER. everything else about this movie is SHIT!!!! I'm like joyful of this stupid JWFAN members defend this movie. I don't give a s-it.This forum has gone to s-ith a long time ago........ ;)

Obvious troll is obvious.

9 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

Obvious troll is obvious.

Typical, like someone that does not agree with you. Typical American.... What if I am black and trans? You're thrown in a philosophical (identity) fuckfest! You don't know...