Alan Menken's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (2018 Disney Legacy Collection)

Jay

91j7zMf9YYL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788XQJVX/

Tracks

Disc 1

1. Main Title - Prologue
  2. Belle
  3. Little Town
  4. Journey to the Castle
  5. Maurice Taken/Gaston Rejected
  6. Belle (Reprise)
  7. Belle Enters the Beast's World
  8. Gaston
  9. Gaston (Reprise)
  10. Enchanted Objects
  11. Be Our Guest
  12. Be Our Guest - Playoff
  13. Escape From the West Wing/Wolf Attack
  14. Coming Together
  15. Something There

Disc 2

1. Human Again
  2. Tonight's the Night
  3. Beauty and the Beast
  4. Beast Lets Go
  5. The Mob Song
  6. Battle in the Castle
  7. Death of the Beast
  8. Transformation
  9. Beauty and the Beast
  10. Belle
  11. Belle
  12. Gaston
  13. Gaston (Reprise)
  14. Be Our Guest
  15. Human Again
  16. Beauty and the Beast

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/walt-disney-records-legacy-collection-beauty-and-the-beast/32082917

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the definite edition I hoped it would be.

It seems to be missing the alternate Death of the beast and the alternate of journey to the castle, which are in the Music behind the magic cds.

And this to include demo (?) versions of the songs?

As long as the movie program is complete or as nearly as possible complete, I'm over the moon.  It's a little dumb that previously released score alternates are left off, but honestly alternates and demos are one-play-and-done for me anyway.

Brilliant! This is my most-wanted Legacy title. Bring on Mulan next! So glad these Legacy releases are available for download.

I wonder if they'll fold Intrada's Black Cauldron and Rescuers Down Under (which are now OOP) into this collection at some stage.

I have the Music Behind the Magic CD's, and I never listen to those alternates anyway.  This seems to be the complete film program, so I'm good with that.  It's a shame there wasn't room for that extra stuff for the people who don't have it though.

8 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

I'd assume they are the regular versions sans lyrics.

If that's true, then they're missing a few songs, which would be odd, but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two people on the Home Theatre Forum who say that their copy has shipped from Amazon.com.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/all-things-disney-music-discussion-thread.341768/page-22

Prologue has the narration as reported at FSM.

This release is getting worse and worse.

Why don't they put everything they have in it?

or if they don't have the room, toss the demos!

Maybe to compel fans to buy the Music behind the Magic release too?

There was also a cassette release sometime in the 90's that had true instrumental versions of most of the songs (sans Belle Reprise, Gaston Reprise, The Mob Song and, of course, Human Again).  

The MBTM set also had a few score alternates, I believe.  Not sure why Disney always includes song demos in these sets.  They're nice to hear once but they're really not worth hearing over and over again.  A 9-minute Human Again demo??  Thanks, but no thanks.  At least the score appears to all be there.

55 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

damn. has the prolgue beeen released without narration in that CD?

I need that.

Yes.

here's also that lovely alternate for the death of the beast, that also doesn't seem to be included in this legacy cd:

1 hour ago, someonefun124 said:

There was also a cassette release sometime in the 90's that had true instrumental versions of most of the songs (sans Belle Reprise, Gaston Reprise, The Mob Song and, of course, Human Again).  

The MBTM set also had a few score alternates, I believe.  Not sure why Disney always includes song demos in these sets.  They're nice to hear once but they're really not worth hearing over and over again.  A 9-minute Human Again demo??  Thanks, but no thanks.  At least the score appears to all be there.

Same reason alternates are included on releases or deleted scenes.

Wow. I cannot wait to get this, though I'm gonna buy the entirety of the first CD, as well as tracks 1 through 8 (maybe 9 too) on iTunes. I'm not really interested in the song demos.

10 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Wow. I cannot wait to get this, though I'm gonna buy the entirety of the first CD, as well as tracks 1 through 8 (maybe 9 too) on iTunes. I'm not really interested in the song demos.

It'll probably work out much cheaper to buy the whole album and just delete/not download the demos. That's what I'll be doing.

So, I've ordered this, but I'm taking away from the discussion so far (both here and on FSM) that if I want to have demos and alternate versions (incl. a narration-free Prologue), I ought to go after the 1994 release "Music Behind the Magic - The Musical Artistry of Alan Menken, Howard Ashman & Tim Rice" in addition to the new Legacy release. Do I have this right? Ta! :)

Having listened to this release, hear are my impressions. Everything from the songs to Alan Menken's wonderful score is remastered, and it all sounds amazing. Not only are all the songs presented on this release, but Alan Menken's complete score for the finished film is included. The only thing missing is the early version of "Death of the Beast". However, that can be found on the previously released Special Edition soundtrack. The only minor setback is that a few tracks bleep into the next: "Main Title - Prologue" bleeds into "Belle", "Tonight's the Night" bleeds into "Beauty and the Beast", "Beast Lets Go" bleeds into "The Mob Song", and "Battle On the Tower" / "Death of the Beast" bleeds into "Transformation." However, these tracks technically segue into each other as in the film. It only becomes slightly jarring if you want to listen to one of these tracks individually. Besides that, this release is great.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Having listened to this release, hear are my impressions. Everything from the songs to Alan Menken's wonderful score is remastered, and it all sounds amazing. Not only are all the songs presented on this release, but Alan Menken's complete score for the finished film is included. The only thing missing is the early version of "Death of the Beast". However, that can be found on the previously released Special Edition soundtrack. The only minor setback is that "Battle On the Tower" / "Death of the Beast" bleeds into "Transformation." Besides that, this release is great.

It must be missing the early version of Wolf Attack too, doesn't it?

(not the scene with the wolf attack on Belle, but on Maurice, starting from his journey)

edit: Ok, yes, it's missing it.

Another drawback for me is that many small cues are grouped together in larger tracks, so if you want to hear a particular cue you have to search.

Since they're in chronological order anyway, what would be the harm of having more tracks?:mellow:

Actually, the scene of the wolf attack on Maurice is in the track "Journey to the Castle." Unless you are referring to an early version of the final cue used in the film, which if that is the case, I did not know there was an early version of that sequence done.

46 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Actually, the scene of the wolf attack on Maurice is in the track "Journey to the Castle." Unless you are referring to an early version of the final cue used in the film, which if that is the case, I did not know there was an early version of that sequence done.

yes, there is an early version.

This is not available for my country but perhaps it's in yours:

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

There is an alternate opening that is only heard on the Music Behind the Magic set.

For others that may be interested, I'm looking a bit more at the Legacy Collection some of the tracks appear to be of slightly lower quality than the previous releases.

Something There (after the intro)

Beauty and the Beast (Single)

Gaston (Demo)

Gaston Reprise (Demo)

Be Our Guest (Demo)

Human Again (Demo)

I haven't listened to it yet as I am completing a final edit prior to doing so, but this is what I see from looking at the waveforms.  Ultimately, it is what the ear hears that matters most.

5 hours ago, Turbo said:

There is an alternate opening that is only heard on the Music Behind the Magic set.

The whole track is alternate.

Not just the opening.

It just has some similar segments here and there, probably for a more extended scene.

5 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by the fact that there is dialogue in some of the tracks? like prologue for example...?

No.

And I was just thinking earlier how great it would be if we didn't have the dialogue in the songs too (Belle, Gaston, Beauty and the beast etc.).

Intrada should have done these editions!

12 hours ago, Turbo said:

For others that may be interested, I'm looking a bit more at the Legacy Collection some of the tracks appear to be of slightly lower quality than the previous releases.

Something There (after the intro)

heck, the waveform looks like a 192kbps mp3!

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

heck, the waveform looks like a 192kbps mp3!

Unfortunately, yes.  I did an edit with the special edition version and that brief snippet on the legacy collection release.

There are actually two versions of the early version of Death of the Beast.  Both have somewhat the same feel, but the orchestrations and endings are different.  I believe one of them was used in the SE end credits.

Also, there are clean vocal free fan edits of the songs out there.  Most were already released by Disney many years ago on cassette.  And, yes, it's a shame these Legacy Collection releases aren't comprehensive or definitive but it's better than nothing, I suppose.

Using the best sources from all releases, this would be the most complete list.  Any corrections?

L1T1 - Main Title - Prologue (2:27)
L1T2 - Belle (5:06)
L1T3 - Little Town (2:50)
L1T4 - Journey to the Castle (4:54)
L1T5 - Maurice Taken / Gaston Rejected (3:04)
L1T6 - Belle Reprise (1:03)
L1T7 - Belle Enters the Beast's World (5:59)
L1T8 - Gaston (3:36)
L1T9 - Gaston Reprise (2:01)
L1T10 - Enchanted Objects (6:48)
L1T11 - Be Our Guest (3:44)
L1T12 - Be Our Guest - Playoff (:56)
L1T13 - Escape from the West Wing / Wolf Attack (5:41)
L1T14 - Coming Together (5:11)
L1T15 - Something There (2:18)
L2T1 - Human Again (4:53)*
L2T2 - Tonight's the Night (1:01)
L2T3 - Beauty and the Beast (2:42)
L2T4 - Beast Lets Go (5:35)
L2T5 - Mob Song (3:27)
L2T6 - Battle in the Castle (2:27)
L2T7 - Death of the Beast (4:38)
L2T8 - Transformation (4:13)
S18 - Beauty and the Beast - Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson (4:07)
S19 - Death of the Beast (Original Early Version) (1:29)*

Demos:
L2T10 - Belle - For Linda Worthington (Demo) (4:45)
L2T11 - Belle (Demo) (4:50)
M2T6 - Gaston (Demo) (3:42)
M2T8 - Gaston Reprise (Demo) (2:30)
SE16/M2T9 - Be Our Guest (Demo) (3:28)
M2T12 - Human Again (Demo) (9:13)
L2T16 - Beauty and the Beast (Demo) (3:55)

Bonus Tracks:
M2T2 - Prologue (Final) (2:35) [Rename to “Prologue (Sans Narration)”]
M2T5 - Wolf Attack (Unreleased Master) (2:42) [Rename to “Journey to the Castle (Alternate Section)”]

M2T19 - Transformation #1 (Final) (1:36) [Rename to "Death of the Beast (Alternate)"]

* = Only heard in the special edition of the film

A = Original Soundtrack

L1/L2 = 2 Disc Legacy Collection Release
S = Special Edition Release
M2 = Music Behind the Magic Release (Disc 2)

I left off a track or two from the Music Behind the Magic release where part of the demo and the final version of the songs are heard.  It also appears that West Wing on the Special Edition release is either a different take or has a few less microedits/overlapped sections than it's counterpart on the legacy collection.

In my personal edit I separated two of the tracks because the cues didn't flow well together.

L1T5 - Maurice Taken / Gaston Rejected (3:04) to

Maurice Taken (1:07)

Gaston Rejected (1:58)

L1T14 - Coming Together (5:11) to

After the Attack / Gaston's Plan (2:29)

Coming Together (2:44)

Although it is heard combined in the film it seems better separated out.  The library music is also one of my favorite tracks so i don't want to hear Gaston's Plan every time.

I think there is no original West WIng version. It's just that in the ost that cue is clean, while in the LLL is with other cues glued together,

(edit: yeah, just checked them. They're the same)

Also wolf attack is an alternate as a whole. It doesn't just have an alternate section.

Also better rename Transformation #1 to Death of the Beast (alternate) since it doesn't score the transformation.

24 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

There is no original West WIng version. It's just that in the ost that cue is clean, while in the LLL is with other cues glued together,

Also wolf attack is an alternate as a whole. It doesn't just have an alternate section.

Wolf Attack is only the equivalent of 1/2 the track from the legacy collection called Journey to the Castle, hence the name.

These are the two different versions I have of West Wing.

West Wing.png

I am not sure what I'm seeing here, but the ost version of West Wing is the same with the one found in the Legacy edition (D1T13: 1.17-end) (unless it's a different take. But the music is exactly the same)

This is the ost version of the cue:

Why that 2nd waveform is 3.40''?

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I am not sure what I'm seeing here, but the ost version of West Wing is the same with the one found in the Legacy edition (D1T13: 1.17-end) (unless it's a different take. But the music is exactly the same)

There were two versions of the original soundtrack release, one had an alternate version of West Wing as you see above.  It is indeed genuine.

34 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Also better rename Transformation #1 to Death of the Beast (alternate) since it doesn't score the transformation.

Good call, updated.

17 minutes ago, Turbo said:

There were two versions of the original soundtrack release, one had an alternate version of West Wing as you see above.  It is indeed genuine.

Yes, i was checking now the soundtrackcollector page.

I have the Pickwick Music DSTCD 458  (UK) cd.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/5578/Beauty+And+The+Beast

So, the other shorter version is just edited, right? There is no alternate music.

edit: Ok, found that 3.40'' version!

It's not an alternate.

it just combines 2 cues.

1st part of West Wing (without the wolf attack) and a cue from earlier in the film which is in Belle Enters the Beast's World track (4.04-5.24)  in Legacy edition! ;)