Alan Menken's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (2018 Disney Legacy Collection)

Jay

In comparing it to other tracks, despite an album edit or two, it coincides with part of Belle Enter's Beast's World on the Legacy Collection.  In short, it's superfluous.

4 minutes ago, Turbo said:

In comparing it to other tracks, despite an album edit or two, it coincides with part of Belle Enter's Beast's World on the Legacy Collection.  In short, it's superfluous.

yes, I edited my post above.

weird, that ost version. I guess it was in USA like that (before the special edition cd)?

Everyone was missing the thrilling wolf attack music.

That's the version I grew up listening to on cassette, when I got the CD as an adult it had a different version.  It was strange.

Either way, I'm glad the mystery is solved. Thanks for the teamwork.

On 9.2.2018 at 3:16 PM, JohnnyD said:

Having listened to this release, hear are my impressions. Everything from the songs to Alan Menken's wonderful score is remastered, and it all sounds amazing. Not only are all the songs presented on this release, but Alan Menken's complete score for the finished film is included. The only thing missing is the early version of "Death of the Beast". However, that can be found on the previously released Special Edition soundtrack. The only minor setback is that a few tracks bleep into the next: "Main Title - Prologue" bleeds into "Belle", "Tonight's the Night" bleeds into "Beauty and the Beast", "Beast Lets Go" bleeds into "The Mob Song", and "Battle On the Tower" / "Death of the Beast" bleeds into "Transformation." However, these tracks technically segue into each other as in the film. It only becomes slightly jarring if you want to listen to one of these tracks individually. Besides that, this release is great.

The labels should know that bleeding tracks are a no-go nowadays. The Burbs, Hook and Star Trek: Insurrection are the only scores I know that still have it.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:49 PM, Turbo said:

There were two versions of the original soundtrack release, one had an alternate version of West Wing as you see above.  It is indeed genuine.

Good call, updated.

The West Wing/Wolf Attack has an odd transition here.  The West Wing cue seems to be cut short before Wolf Attack begins.  In the film, the transition is much more fluid and natural as if it was one piece.

15 hours ago, mstrox said:

If the tracks were built to segue into each other, it’s a completely valid choice on album.  Too many clean endings and clean openings and some scores with short tracks sound like sessions leaks.

Then join them to one track! It doesn't make sense to seperate them, when it is just possible to listen to them together.

• 3 weeks later...

Human Again? I believe it was in the Special Edition of the film. so blame the people who made that.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, Fal said:

Human Again? I believe it was in the Special Edition of the film. so blame the people who made that.

Just watched The Lion King with my kid the other day, and the special edition includes that awful Morning Report song - thankfully in that case, the producers of the Legacy Collection CD made it a bonus track.

Easy enough to unprogram Human Again.  Just still think it's a weird choice to put in the main program.

12 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

If you took out Human Again (and I'd love to), I wonder if you can fit the soundtrack on one disc..

I believe it would JUST fit, but only if you also leave off the pop version of Beauty and the Beast.

• 1 month later...

So I'm still trying to figure out the various versions on the music at the end, in general what there is for the Battle on the Tower and the Transformation scenes. I've got four CD releases to go with:

1991 OST (European version)

13. Battle on the Tower (5:30)

14. Transformation (5:48)

1994 Music Behind the Magic

10. Transformation #1 - Final (1:36)

11. Transformation #2 - Final (5:48)

2001 Special Edition

14. Battle on the Tower (5:29)

15. Transformation (5:50)

19. Death of the Beast - Original Early Vision (1:29)

2018 LE

2-6. Battle in the Castle (2:27)

2-7. Death of the Beast (4:38)

2-8. Transformation (4:13)

I'll report back in a little while...

So, I came up with the following. Doesn't look as tidy as Jay's comparison charts, but you're free to re-do them:

batb.PNG

Pity that they chose not to include the two alternate openings to "Transformation" and the "Prologue" without the voice-over on the Legacy set. Oh well, keeping the OST isn't a problem...

• 5 months later...

Listening to this set now. Volume is too low and why on earth is there so much dialogue?! (Prologue, Bell, Gaston (Reprise)... What is this, the movie or the CD? Not buying this. I love the songs, but don't need the conversations.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Listening to this set now. Volume is too low and why on earth is there so much dialogue?! (Prologue, Bell, Gaston (Reprise)... What is this, the movie or the CD? Not buying this. I love the songs, but don't need the conversations.

Agreed. It's pretty poor that way.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Are all these legacy sets like this? I can't understand how out-of-touch these producers are.

Those "conversations" are lyrics, they are part of the songs, they are in the demo's etc.

1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

I think Horner did.

He's fine, but only his work on Beast deserved an Oscar. 

But apparently no satisfying expansion.

I am going to kill the mouse, when they fuck up Mulan!

5 minutes ago, Falafel said:

Those "conversations" are lyrics, they are part of the songs, they are in the demo's etc.

Yeah...but most intros are no sung or are backed up with the music...and I hate the Romeo and Juliet interlude dialogue in "human again". 

30 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I think Horner did.

I want to know more about this Menken/Horner beef 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I want to know more about this Menken/Horner beef 

I think I read it here on these boards, that it was some talk Horner was giving to a class where he criticized Menken for leaving too much compositional tasks to his orchestrators. 

I’ve seen the video.  Horner specifically had a problem with Menken winning Best Original Score, implying that he left it to orchestrators to adapt his melodies for the underscore and took the credit.

2 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

I think Horner did.

Good as his work on that is, he topped it twice: on Hunchback and especially Pocahontas, IMO...

Yavar

36 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Good as his work on that is, he topped it twice: on Hunchback and especially Pocahontas, IMO...

Yavar

Oh, I do think Hunchback and Pocahontas are fantastic.  I'm especially partial for Hunchback.  

But, I was referring to the movies for which he actually won the Oscars.  Mermaid and Aladdin were not the best scores of their nomination groups.