Awesome Score - Awful Movie

Brundlefly

23 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Thor, I don't understand, your own link says dialog is sound. All three sound categories affect mood. 

When did I say dialogue isn't sound?

I'm saying it's a type of sound we experience differently -- and sometimes independently -- of other sounds. Hence the possibility to be vowed by a film like LEGEND even if the dialogue sucks donkey balls! (which, incidentally, I don't think it does).

Michel Chion is one of the foremost researchers of film sound; and I particularly like his three modes of listening. In his landmark book Audio-Vision (1994), he writes:

If the scene has dialogue, our hearing analyzes the vocal flow into sentences, words—hence, linguistic units. Our perceptual breakdown of noises will proceed by distinguishing sound events, the more easily if there are isolated sounds. For a piece of music we identify the melodies, themes, and units of rhythmic patterns, to the extent that our musical training permits. In other words, we hear as usual, in units not specific to cinema that depend entirely on the type of sound and the chosen level of listening (semantic, causal, reduced). (Chion 1994: 145)

Speech lies closer to the semantic level, even if cadences and non-semantic aspects of the voice also have significance.

Annabel Cohen is another considerable film cognitivist who has written a lot about the subject. I particularly like her congruence-associative framework (Cohen in Juslin & Sloboda 2001: 259) -- a play between long-term and short-term memory when we create meaning out of three main sound domains (even if she does not include sound effects in the model). I had to take this pic of the model from my book, as I couldn't find it online:

IMG_2562.JPG

16 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Did anyone suggest that biologically the brain processes dialogue the same as music?  Seems to me that's a straw man.

I got the feeling this was more or less Alex' argument, yes, but perhaps I misunderstood.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Did anyone suggest that biologically the brain processes dialogue the same as music? 

Maybe it does to a certain degree. The choice of words, the flow, the rhythm, the pitch or intonation of a sentence, the timbre of voice. Those are all musical qualities. And if dialogue can convey emotion or create a particular mood then it's just a another instrument at the disposal of the director. I know that 'music' as well as 'voices' can almost put me in a state of trance (HAL in A Space Odyssey). I once knew a field recording man and he told me he never listened to music. He got his kicks from natural soundscapes. To him it was music. The same can be suggested for the sound design in film. The electronic sound of the elevator going up in Blade Runner right before Deckard drew his gun at Rachael is beautiful and hypnotizing. I'm pretty sure it was music to the ears of Michel Chion. ;)

Of course, I don't always consciously respond to every bit of dialogue that I hear but the same can be said of music. 

1 hour ago, shockwave said:

Wing Commander (1999) - David Arnold, Kevin Kiner.....:blush2:

Such a shame that the film turned out badly. I was a big fan and player of the WC3 and 4 games. Can't remember much of the score, though.

Krull

I wouldn't call it an awful film (some awful bits but entertainingly bad), but a messy ripoff. But Horner's score is one of THE best ones he's ever written, strong themes and impressive playing by the London musicians. This gets more airtime than any of the other Horner scores I own, it is that awesome.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Thor said:

Such a shame that the film turned out badly. I was a big fan and player of the WC3 and 4 games. Can't remember much of the score, though.

Great bombastic score by Kiner. Unfortunately the Sonic Images sdtk was less than 40 minutes long. The score in the movie was over 70 minutes, and a couple of cues from the film were longer than the album version.

On 1-2-2018 at 9:50 PM, Thor said:

I liked those too in my PS1 years.  

On 1.2.2018 at 9:50 PM, Thor said:

I was a big fan and player of the WC3 and 4 games.

Did you know about this then?

It turned into a fantastic album of half live orchestral tracks and half digital sample ones.

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

The Hobbit, again, was nothing like the book in a bunch of ways.

Because it isn't so much an adaptation of the book "The Hobbit" as much as it is an adaptation of the appendix "Durin's Folk" from Return of the King.

I think to compare books with films is unfair to begin with. They’re not better or worst than each other, they’re just different.

And that difference should explain any and all changes made to a source material in the course of an adaptation.

And since when do statements of personal preference on JWFan not warrant a:blink: anymore? Or is that only so regarding The Last Jedi?

I understand, @Chen G.

Sometimes, a film is much than the book (THE GODFATHER, JAWS, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, THE TOWERING INFERNO), but most of the time I prefer books for the same reason that I prefer radio...the pictures are better :).

Regarding your emoji; I was never trying to censure your reply, nor the motives behind it. I was merely curious.

Ah, I see.

Books are your prefered medium as a whole. fair.

To me, they are just different to the point that picking a favorite is moot. I like Tolkien's works very much, but I also like - thus far - the live-action film adaptations of his work, largely because they don't slavishly follow the source material.

And, again, there is a debate to be had as to what that source material is. I would argue that The Hobbit is, essentially, an adaptation of the appendix "Durin's Folk" (as well as other references to the events of The Hobbit within The Lord of the Rings) much more so than it is an adaptation of the book, The Hobbit. Which is fine by me.

On 17.2.2018 at 10:12 AM, Miz said:

Swooping in with my first contribution...and it's TV...

Da Vinci's Demons!

I agree that the music is excellent, but the show is good too. Not sure what your issues are with the series.

As Chen said it's all a matter of personal preference.

Just because someone here dislikes a movie or score another person can like the said movie and score.  No one is right or wrong and no one's opinion or preference is NOT a statement of fact.

Errr... right. Yeah :huh:

I think you need to take this thread a little less seriously Trent.

---

Having listened recently to JNH's The Last Airbender and bits of Lady in the Water and The Happening, I'd apply this criteria to everything he's done with M.Night since LitW. They're all superb scores to pretty bad films.

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

As Chen said it's all a matter of personal preference.

Just because someone here dislikes a movie or score another person can like the said movie and score.  No one is right or wrong and no one's opinion or preference is NOT a statement of fact.

This is one of billion posts on every forum that exists. "It's all a matter of personal preference.":puh: