Today I bought 6 used CDs! What do you think?

Josh500

They are all used but in mint condition. I spent around 200 Euros (Poseidon alone cost 110 Euros)!

1. The Poseidon Adventure by John Williams (LLL)

2. First Blood (Rambo I) by Jerry Goldsmith (OST)

3. Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith (Expanded) 

4. The Vanishing by Jerry Goldsmith (OST)

5. Tora Tora Tora by Jerry Goldsmith (Expanded)

6. Twilight Zone by Jerry Goldsmith (Expanded)

Nice!

That 110€ is an obscene amount of money for just one CD though. :P

And I would have waited for a bit for Intrada to release their reworked version of Rambo III. That's what I plan to do.

The thing is this...

John Williams: I collect every officially released album, OST or expanded.

Jerry Goldsmith: I try to collect every title, meaning I'm satisfied if I own just the OST album. Out of the 80+ JG titles I own, maybe 10 are expanded ones. 

56 minutes ago, Incanus said:

That 110€ is an obscene amount of money for just one CD though. :p

I know, but I don't regret it. It's a great release of a great JW score.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

They are all used but in mint condition. I spent around 200 Euros (Poseidon alone cost 110 Euros)!

1. The Poseidon Adventure by John Williams (LLL)

3. Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith (Expanded) 

4. The Vanishing by Jerry Goldsmith (OST)

5. Tora Tora Tora by Jerry Goldsmith (Expanded)

6. Twilight Zone by Jerry Goldsmith (Expanded)

I have no comment on the 'expanded' issue, but this is a pretty good batch.

OK, POSEIDON is one of my least favourite JW scores (for one of my dearest nostalgic movies), but it has a few highlight tracks. FIRST BLOOD is a masterpiece, RAMBO III is fun, TWILIGHT ZONE -- esp. the original soundtrack -- is a varied and engaging score. TORA is JG in semi-abrasive mode, but fascinating. VANISHING, I'm not familiar with.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

OK, POSEIDON is one of my least favourite JW scores (for one of my dearest nostalgic movies), but it has a few highlight tracks.

I rather like the Main Title. So deliciously gloomy and catastrophic. 

Come on, guys, €110 is, at today's exchange rate, £85. That's not that bad considering a pair of men's Timberland boots would, on most UK high streets, set you back anything between £120, and £150.

As @Josh500 says: it's a great score.

Will he get €110's worth of listen? Only he knows for sure, but, to the collector, these CDs are an investment. I say"well done".

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Come on, guys, €110 is, at today's exchange rate, £85. That's not that bad considering a pair of men's Timberland boots would, on most UK high streets, set you back anything between £120, and £150.

As @Josh500 says: it's a great score.

Will he get €110's worth of listen? Only he knows for sure, but, to the collector, these CDs are an investment. I say"well done".

Exactly! 

I'm a collector, and sometimes you just gotta spend a little more (there are people in this world that collect cars, luxury watches, expensive art etc.). What's 110 Euros, if it's something I'll really enjoy and treasure? 

On the other hand, I also regularly get many great soundtrack albums at bargain prices, so it all balances out.

I mean, I have a €1200 phone so I guess I can’t judge but still... For me it’d have to be a holy grail for that kind of money. 

LLL will probably reissue it now though so thanks!

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

LLLI mean, I have a €1200 phone so I guess I can’t judge but still... For me it’d have to be a holy grail for that kind of money. 

You don't get the concept of "collector," do you?

The First Editions of famous, classic old books by, say, Shakespeare, Tolkien, George Orwell, or Charles Dickens. Some people are willing to spend a FORTUNE on them (hundreds of thousands of Euros). Why? Because they are big fans, they are collectors, they are passionate lovers of art.

But you will never get that, do you? Why spend so much money if you can just buy the cheapest current paperback edition for 10 Euros! Right? :D

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

LLL will probably reissue it now though so thanks!

Doesn't matter. I will buy that too, if it's released. ;)

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

I mean, I have a €1200 phone

IPhone X?

:D

6 hours ago, Josh500 said:

You don't get the concept of "collector," do you?

The First Editions of famous, classic old books by, say, Shakespeare, Tolkien, George Orwell, or Charles Dickens. Some people are willing to spend a FORTUNE on them (hundreds of thousands of Euros). Why? Because they are big fans, they are collectors, they are passionate lovers of art.

But you will never get that, do you? Why spend so much money if you can just buy the cheapest current paperback edition for 10 Euros! Right? :D

Doesn't matter. I will buy that too, if it's released. ;)

IPhone X?

:D

Yes, iPhone X! 

I absolutely do get the whole collecting thing. Bloodboal (God rest his cheese munching surrendering soul) used to take the piss out of me all the time for me ridiculous number of copies of the Hobbit but I think I’ve outgrown that sort of thing if I’m honest. 

I’ve tried to be a completist in many things and tbh I don’t think it’s worth. The hunt is a big part of it but once the thrill subsides it’s just stuff.

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Yes, iPhone X! 

I absolutely do get the whole collecting thing. Bloodboal (God rest his cheese munching surrendering soul) used to take the piss out of me all the time for me ridiculous number of copies of the Hobbit but I think I’ve outgrown that sort of thing if I’m honest. 

I’ve tried to be a completist in many things and tbh I don’t think it’s worth. The hunt is a big part of it but once the thrill subsides it’s just stuff.

Well, that's you. If you don't feel the thrill anymore, then stop.

Others do feel the thrill, and some of us feel the thrill of collecting (that moment of adding to your treasured collection, that moment of spending an INSANE amount of money just for your passion) our entire lives. It's neither good nor bad, just something to do in our lives. And if we can afford it, why not? ;)

On 25-1-2018 at 9:23 AM, Josh500 said:

This! The one with 23 tracks. I already own the other one as well, the one with only 10 tracks.

Rambo_III_RVF6006D.jpg

There's an other one by Intrada with identical content but remastered sound (slightly louder).

On 25/1/2018 at 8:23 AM, Josh500 said:

excuse me, why did you buy a used cd of this and not a new cd of this that includes the ost too?

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6859/.f

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

excuse me, why did you buy a used cd of this and not a new cd of this that includes the ost too?

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6859/.f

This was just 10 Euros.

Besides, I like collecting the OST albums.

And if I like the OST albums, I'll get the expanded releases. 

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

You should get the expansion of The Ghost and the Darkness. The actual score blows you away unlike the OST recording.

I do have the OST album, which I like a lot. However, I mostly just listen to the main theme anyway, so I won't bother with the expanded. 

On 26.1.2018 at 11:32 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

The OST is in fact the same recording (I think the last time Goldsmith did a separate recording for album was Masada in 1981), but I agree the score is quite badass in complete form.

Yavar

But the OST consisted mostly (90%) of alternate takes which sounded considerably brighter and more playful, but also inferior IMO.