The genius of John Williams. (Jurassic Park without music)

Josh500

This is all rather self-evident, but still... One cannot help but be impressed! 

Watch this scene from Jurassic Park without music! That's what John Williams initially saw, before he came up with and wrote the masterpiece known as Journey to the Island. I literally think the excitement, the joy, the impact comes from the music 75%!!

Wow what a genius!

By the way, this youtube channel here offers tons of great and interesting material regarding film and TV scores! 

There are bits here that are kinda intriguing, as if it were a Werner Herzog movie, but then all the camera movements and 'reveal' shots are construed in such a musical way, that it really only works with the music.

Always fun as an experiment, though.

This scene especially (I'm sure not all scenes) works so well with the music. 

Without the music, it's rather boring, except the 10 seconds or so we actually get to see the dinos. That's somewhat impressive even without the music, yes.

With the music, this seems like the adventure of a lifetime and also the greatest moment of your entire fucking life when you see those dinos... :D

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

While it needs the music, i stand by my old argument that Williams really went overboard with the first third of the sequence.

I don't agree. 

If this is going overboard, then JW always goes overboard! That's his style.

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

No doubt some edgy fuck will be along shortly to say they think it works just as well or better without it. 

Without the music, it's so much more realistic and mysterious! You don't know how the characters are really feeling, and you feel like you're there with them. With the John Williams music, you feel like you're watching a movie! Who watches a movie to feel like they're watching a movie?

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Nah, he's usually more in synch. This is more like the first Potter, another often obnoxious work.

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This early in the movie it's 100% about adventure, so I find the Journey to the Island very fitting in a dramatic sense.

Well, the whole movie is about adventure, but I agree.

The music complements the movie to a perfection! 

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

'Fitting' is putting it mildly. This particular sequence is one of the greatest friggin' film and music masterepieces in the history of cinema!

I completely agree. That's why I wrote very fitting. :)

11 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, the whole movie is about adventure, but I agree.

The music complements the movie to a perfection! 

My point being that after a while when everything goes to hell the film gets darker and we get more thriller elements, but in the beginning it's pure, uncomplicated adventure. What did Pub want? Jaws with dinosaurs?

17 minutes ago, publicist said:

Jeez, JW fanboys gushing *againagainagain* over fucking Jurassic Park. Can it get more pedestrian?

How long before hornist hoists a few and arrives to point out that it's JWFan, after all, I wonder....

Shit, I didn't mean to post in a Josh500 thread.

Without music, the initial sequence feels so fast and unimportant. And all that motor noise?! Four minutes listening to this incessantly it is the case of the film lose both Oscars that they received for the sound quality! 

5 hours ago, publicist said:

While it needs the music, i stand by my old argument that Williams really went overboard with the first third of the sequence.

I’m on board with that. I’m not a huge fan of the lighthearted adventure tone of the film in general. (Though clearly Williams delivered exactly what Spielberg wanted.)

I also think the whole helicopter descent sequence is poorly conceived on Spielberg’s part. The weird onboard turbulence shots and Grant fumbling for his seat belt seem left over from another draft of the script where it was a truly harrowing action sequence.

9 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Williams actually rather often overscores. But that's the exact reason why you get him. His music is much too elaborate for most movies. Spielberg is one of the few directors who can create visuals to hold up Williams dense orchestratal sound.

That's not to say JW can't do the opposite, but in full adventure mode his music is just golden age goodness.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

There are bits here that are kinda intriguing, as if it were a Werner Herzog movie, but then all the camera movements and 'reveal' shots are construed in such a musical way, that it really only works with the music.

Always fun as an experiment, though.

The sequence COULD work without music but it would have to blocked and edited and staged in a completely different manner.

It was interesting to watch the scene without music because as currently shot, the scene doesn't work without music. Which shows Spielberg always intended it to be scored. So the scene is shot in a way to support the score.

Like the shot of Sam O Niel sitting on the ground doesn't work at all without the music, but with the music it allows for the music to build up for the final reveal of the Jurassic Park.

Spielberg really gave Williams allowance to write music by developing his script so subtly, instead of bombastically, to where Williams practically made these scenes what they are. In the end, Spielberg's key moments were executed perfectly because of the music. Spielberg really knows the phrase "less is more."

These scenes are the same way Star Wars was made.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It was interesting to watch the scene without music because as currently shot, the scene doesn't work without music. Which shows Spielberg always intended it to be scored. So the scene is shot in a way to support the score.

Like the shot of Sam O Niel sitting on the ground doesn't work at all without the music, but with the music it allows for the music to build up for the final reveal of the Jurassic Park.

Exactly! That's what I tried to say.

11 hours ago, publicist said:

Jeez, JW fanboys gushing *againagainagain* over fucking Jurassic Park. Can it get more pedestrian?

Ha, ha...the Publicist Cynicism(TM) is one of those truisms we need in order for the world to make sense.

If there is one work in the history of film that I would shower ALL my superlatives at, it's JURASSIC PARK. It really can't get enough.

I found it more suspenseful, more accurate to the desolation and mystery of the island, not to mention more realistic and relatable without all that loud and annoying classical music in the background. I mean who hears that when they're in such a remote location?

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Jurassic Park is a seminal moment in movie music fandom for a lot of people. Of course this has always irked pub no end, just because. 

It is, in a nutshell, all what i find wrong with film music fans at large. Dickless conventional always wins.

But i concede that to bring this up in the Williams subforum was in bad (and futile) taste and i leave it at that.

Yeah, I've often used that Throne Room clip for humourous effect in lectures about film music.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

It is, in a nutshell, all what i find wrong with film music fans at large. Dickless conventional always wins.

"Dickless conventional"...

Someone please upload a clip of that sequence, re-scored with Penderecki or Stockhausen! :D

Is there a thread for posting scenes with different hand-select music? I want to get creative! mostly for fun experimentation...

I've already had too much fun with the photo thread... 

time to change things up.

qgCCHVI.png

22 hours ago, Holko said:

Actually, that's a clever bit of foreshadowing. Everyone connects their seatbelts properly, male and female connectors, but Grant has two female ones, and he still makes it work. Life finds a way.

True, it is, I'd forgotten that! But I still can't get over the mismatch between the interior shots with all the fake turbulence and the exterior shots of the helicopter, which show a very gentle, controlled descent. Always thought it was cheesy, even when I was a kid.

1 hour ago, aviazn said:

True, it is, I'd forgotten that! But I still can't get over the mismatch between the interior shots with all the fake turbulence and the exterior shots of the helicopter, which show a very gentle, controlled descent. Always thought it was cheesy, even when I was a kid.

I've always thought that when they got to the descent, after the interior shots, the turbulence was passed.