2018 The Oscars Concert - World Premiere of new Last Jedi Suite?

TheUlyssesian

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That's cool! Hopefully it's not just TRIR, but something a little more all-encompassing of the score.

I would bet a large sum of money that it will just be Rebellion.  "World-Premiere" should not be taken too literally to mean each and every piece.  

Seeing as how Rebellion was just performed last night in San Diego, I would rule out “world premiere” on that particular piece.

Separately, I would love to see Spirited Away performed live.

Seems like a full program. Doesn’t look like there’s enough time slotted for the nominees for the TLJ to be anything but Rebellion.

A shame. I don’t mind Rebellion as an album track, but I find it totally underwhelming as a standalone concert piece. Two themes I’m pretty meh about and one of the weaker concert endings Williams has written. It honestly reminds me of a Giacchino finale.

I hope there will be a standalone Rose's Theme one day

3 hours ago, aviazn said:

one of the weaker concert endings Williams has written.

really? i think it's one of his better ones

4 hours ago, king mark said:

I agree.  Musically, I don't think you feel the last big statement of Rose's theme coming, and it works wonderfully.  

On 2/3/2018 at 5:55 AM, king mark said:

Huh, guess I'm in the minority! I'm talking about the last 15 seconds, those last repetitive chords. Compared to the intricate triplets rhythms in the last two bars of the Imperial March, or even the scale that tops off March of the Resistance, or the playful little string runs at the end of The Adventure Continues, it falls pretty flat to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Williams will conduct the LA Phil in a performance of "The Rebellion is Reborn" from The Last Jedi as part of the Oscar Concert at the Walt Disney Concert Hall tomorrow:

https://www.laphil.com/events/performances/110/

Introducing the “House of Woodcock” theme from Greenwood’s “Phantom Thread” music, Paul Thomas Anderson said he asked the Radiohead guitarist to “write some music like Nelson Riddle would,” figuring that the combination of that 50’s composer’s style and Greenwood’s “British, depressed and atonal” approach would yield something interesting. Which, of course, it did: The “Phantom Thread” music is gentle and elegant, but with an uneasy sense that something’s not quite right.

It was followed by 51-time nominee John Williams, who got the night’s biggest ovation from the audience and from the orchestra simply for walking onstage – and another ovation for the richly dramatic “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” cue “The Rebellion Is Reborn.”

“John is a legend, but he doesn’t work like a legend,” said director Johnson. “He works like a little kid sprinting toward a playground because that’s where the toys are.”

And while you might think it’d be tough to follow John Williams, Hans Zimmer did just that with the monumental “Home” from “Dunkirk.” Nolan said he wanted music that was completely integrated with the film’s sound effects and picture, and in fact the composition began with aircraft noises before building to a deep, massive and doomy throb that became bigger and bigger before yielding to a beautiful, yearning and melodic coda.

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Academy-Takes-Over-Disney-Hall-for-Spectacular-12719026.php

The night had a rock star anyway in 86-year-old John Williams, who was welcomed with whoops and cheers more common in arenas than concert halls.

Williams' Oscar nomination for "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" is his 51st.

Williams was introduced by Rian Johnson, the "Last Jedi" director who said it's impossible to present Williams to an audience without sounding "too grandiose, like I'm dedicating a national park."

On this night, however, Williams focused only on material that was new and unique to "Last Jedi," and stayed away from the soul-stirring "Star Wars" melodies.

https://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/article/Rare-concert-gives-Oscar-nominated-composers-an-12718076.php

And while you might think it’d be tough to follow John Williams, Hans Zimmer did just that with the monumental “Home” from “Dunkirk.” Nolan said he wanted music that was completely integrated with the film’s sound effects and picture, and in fact the composition began with aircraft noises before building to a deep, massive and doomy throb that became bigger and bigger before yielding to a beautiful, yearning and melodic coda.

Is this really the best HZ had to present? First 4 minutes of cut'n paste, followed by a bad Elgar rip-off in a Vangelis-like style. Let's hope it doesn't win.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:47 PM, crumbs said:

That's cool! Hopefully it's not just TRIR, but something a little more all-encompassing of the score.

I'd love a suite which includes The Spark!

6 hours ago, Mari said:
6 hours ago, Thor said:

Nobody's posted this pic yet? (courtesy of Krisztina Lukácsi's Facebook profile):

28575701_10156147212138134_2356243817113

Darth Williams has been a fan of the Sith robes recently.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Although Zimmer is no doubt a bigger admirer of Williams than the other way around, the admiration is definitely mutual -- as it should be. Two of the greatest film composers of all time in one photo. I absolutely love it!

Careful Thor - this is too reasonable a sentiment for much of JWFan.

Great photos. I feel like I've seen Charles Bernstein on all composer group photos since the beginning of time! :D

On 01/03/2018 at 3:30 PM, Thor said:

Nobody's posted this pic yet? (courtesy of Krisztina Lukácsi's Facebook profile):

28575701_10156147212138134_2356243817113

FINALLY!

Bastards, what took them so long. Needed this years ago.

Now all I need is just them talking about composing, similar to those THR roundtable interviews or something. 

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Poor idiot standing in front of Burwell. It wasn't enough that his whole body is visible, he also had to obstruct someone else's view.

That "idiot" is A.R. Rahman, one of my favourite composers. But yeah, I get what you mean. :)