The Cloverfield Paradox (Cloverfield 3) - out now on Netflix

Jay

I would encourage everyone here to listen to the score on album if they haven’t. I think it’s a vastly superior score to 10 Cloverfield Lane, and that’s not a knock on that score. This features some of McCreary’s best writing yet.  Just listen to the track “A Message for Ava.”  Absolutely beautiful melodic work and great use of choir. That whole melody is one of his best character themes.  I will be remembering this score at the end of the year.

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

We watched it during our snow day yesterday. I thought the movie was serviceable, and a fun afternoon matinee type of watch.  Not an all-time great, not revolutionary, but had enough fun ideas (guy full of worms, guy whose arm gets stuck in the wall and then comes to life, missing spaceship part found in cadaver, etc) to keep it entertaining, but definitely "least" of the three Cloverfield movies thus far.

I don't think it necessarily needed the earth-based portion/tie-in to the first Cloverfield.  The idea that the Cloverfield Paradox unleashed havoc on Earth across many dimensions is enough of a tie-in, in my mind.

Didn't even really notice the score, although I liked the main titles piece.  Glad to see that there WAS a main titles piece.  They seem so old fashioned these days.

I watched it today and I share many of your thoughts. Not sure why everyone hates this so much, it’s better than schlock like Event Horizon and Sunshine. The self-aware camp factor helps, though I wish they pushed the humor up a little more.

When Hamilton sees the arm just wiggling around in the glass case during the final confrontation with Jensen, I thought she was gonna let it loose and somehow use it as a distraction to leverage a surprise on her.

Otherwise it was solid entertainment with a decent cast of non-A listers. 

6 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I watched it today and I share many of your thoughts. Not sure why everyone hates this so much, it’s better than schlock like Event Horizon and Sunshine. The self-aware camp factor helps, though I wish they pushed the humor up a little more.

Easy now. Both EVENT HORIZON and SUNSHINE are visionary masterpieces. This film isn't even close to that. But I enjoyed it reasonably well on a 'lighter' level; a bit like LIFE last year.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I was half expecting that thing to come to the rescue.  Maybe people would have liked the movie more if that happened.

The thought made me chuckle in the moment so I was disappointed that it didn’t happen. Still enjoyed it overall. 

12 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I enjoyed The Cloverfield Paradox because it did not act like it thought it was a visionary masterpiece, the precise reason I despised those two films. 

This!

Just watched it. It was alright I guess, with some obvious blunders (they have rotating rings, presumably for gravity purposes, yet the gravity is not directed to the outside of the rings?) and nothing to set it apart from its obvious influences. Watchable but not necessary. The Cloverfield tie-in was perhaps not necessary for this film, but at least it actually ties the first two movies in the series together.

(Mind you, I'm still a fan of Sunshine. But Event Horizon remains a nice idea and setup gone horribly wrong)

Very fine score. I'm definitely getting the CD.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

they have rotating rings, presumably for gravity purposes, yet the gravity is not directed to the outside of the rings?

Noticed that too, yep

30 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Sunshine might pretend that it's a visionary masterpiece but Event Horizon? Paul W.S. Anderson?!

EVENT HORIZON is one of the best 20-30 films of the 90s, and Anderson is a brilliant action auteur. I even prefer him over the other Paul Anderson. Here's an article I wrote just last year (for its 20th anniversary), exploring its visual layering: http://montages.no/2017/08/event-horizon-1997/ (in Norwegian, though).

I'm deeply and personally attached to that film. Always have been. A definite masterpiece.

The film was OK. If I was younger and hadn't seen similar/better films I would probably rate it higher. The score on the other hand is fantastic. The choral work is great, reminiscent of Da Vinci's Demons. Plenty of variety in this one, not sure whether it beats 10 Cloverfield Lane for me but we'll see after a few more listens. Apparently a fourth Cloverfield movie will be released nearer the end of the year. Would be nice if Bear continues with the series.

22 hours ago, serenifly said:

The film was OK. If I was younger and hadn't seen similar/better films I would probably rate it higher. The score on the other hand is fantastic. The choral work is great, reminiscent of Da Vinci's Demons. Plenty of variety in this one, not sure whether it beats 10 Cloverfield Lane for me but we'll see after a few more listens. Apparently a fourth Cloverfield movie will be released nearer the end of the year. Would be nice if Bear continues with the series.

Meh