Game Of Thrones Showrunners tackle Star Wars.

The Star Wars Story Group was created by Kathleen Kennedy.

kathleen-kennedy.jpg?w=612

They rebelled. They evolved.

swce-storygroup.jpg

They look, and act, like they're in charge.
BN-EV171_STARWA_P_20141002120126.jpg

Some believe they are in charge.

PabloH_slcc2017_COVER_1-696x467.jpg

They have many stories.

Final_Prophecy_Japanese_art.jpg

And they have...

A PLAN.

mickey-mouse-vs-darth-vader-star-wars-ep

I know it's not a big deal but I was honestly surprised to hear them say "big ass door" in TLJ. Sounds really out of place. Like if Ben Kenobi had said, "That's no moon, that's a big ass space station."

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I didn't find the mild swearing out of place (i.e. Star Wars had "damn fool idealistic crusade," Empire had "Then I'll see you in hell!")

If you don't have those droids in the field by midday, there'll be hell to pay. 

16 hours ago, Jerry said:

Its not the level of swearing, its the words. They don't feel like Star Wars. At all. Poe's What the hell was as close as it came to the OT swear level in this movie.

I think you care too much. Let it go.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

A_long_time_ago.png

Time and space are relative. Obviously humans have never been advanced enough to develop technology as seen in SW, so it has to be set in our future as a species. The only logical explanation is that humans in SW originated on Earth, but eventually abandoned it perhaps because it became too inhospitable to survive here. So they went and colonised other planets across the galaxy and interacted with other species, then setting up a capital and system of government which would eventually be known as the Republic.

So much moaning in this thread. Nobody's taking away your original movies (well, except George Lucas). If you don't like the new ones, just ignore them?

As for the notion that TLJ wiped the slate clean, that's relatively true. How refreshing for the middle film of a trilogy, unlike the tedious Marvel movies where every line of dialogue seems to be vetted in the slavish service of an overarching plan. 

The whole point of TLJ is that the past needs to die and the new needs to rise. Let's not forget Abrams said he regretted not directing TLJ after reading Johnson's script, so clearly he liked the choices that were made and realised the level of creative liberation Rian was handing his successor.

It also means Abrams has had 2 years to think about what he would do for IX, so that's encouraging.

51 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Leaves the final 2.5 hours of the movie open to subvert out expectations and sets up Return of the King nicely.

Or he could just cut the final 2.5 hours to make it a bearable film. :P

22 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Yes! This is the approach Jackson should have taken with The Two Towers. Frodo should have just discovered that the ring could be destroyed by tossing it in with Sam's rabbit stew. Bob's your uncle, quest is over. Then Aragorn finds out he's not the heir of Gondor, but was actually an orphan whose parents were delusional and raised him with wild stories about him being a King. Finally, we learn Gandalf is just a charlatan...a conjurer of cheap tricks and excellent fireworks maker. 

Luckily, with that series we had the concluding chapters, first. So no one can tinker with the way in which the series concludes. All we can have are all sorts of prequels.

Unlike with Star Wars.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:10 AM, Chen G. said:

Luckily, with that series we had the concluding chapters, first. So no one can tinker with the way in which the series concludes. All we can have are all sorts of prequels.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "no one can tinker with the way the series concludes."  Mercifully, Jackson and New Line kept the end of LOTR as it was in the book (more or less), but certainly not without tinkering. And had they wanted, they could have changed it any way they wished, including having a spaceship flown by Tom Bombadil swoop down and teleport Gollum up just as he's falling into the crack of doom.

Back then, Jackson & co. respected Tolkien's source material and wisely choose to keep most of it (including the denouement), largely intact, even though they certainly could have done otherwise (see Hobbit Trilogy, The).

I don't mean in terms of deviations from the source material. That's a given when you do an adaptation.

What I'm saying is that we have The Lord of the Rings, and every other film or television program in that franchise can only be a prequel. Unlike with Star Wars where the conclusion of the story in Episode IX has the potential of not feeling earned because its made by different people to those who made the bulk of the franchise.

9 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Let's us know where we rank in the scheme of things.

Mr. Jay & Mr. Ricard continue to be most appreciative of your humorous posts. They asked me to give you this "like" in gratitude.

And also to remind you that this is not a prequel thread and your presence here is no longer appropriate.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

damn fool always seemed posh to me

and see you in hell contains no swearword. I don't get it

Many people consider hell a swear word. My parents, for example.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Is this still happening? 

Ive heard that the next Star Wars film we see after IX will be this. Filming supposed to be starting in the Autumn. I’ve heard Belfast mentioned for the filming. 

17 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Ive heard that the next Star Wars film we see after IX will be this. Filming supposed to be starting in the Autumn. I’ve heard Belfast mentioned for the filming. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney plans to reserve this trilogy for their streaming service. 

Future quote: "It's the best Star wars since ages! Too bad they aren't movies."