Sign in to follow this  
Stefancos

Game Of Thrones Showrunners tackle Star Wars.

Recommended Posts

I also made a post about that, maybe an admin can delete it please?

 

 

After Rian Johnson being given a new trilogy: http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

 

 

The creators of Game of Thrones too: http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

 

 

We'll get 2 or 3 movies per year now or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Do you really think there's much chance he won't?

 

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Rian is really still doing his trilogy. Despite what they say, this may be a way of easing Rian out and these guys in.  It's no secret TLJ was a failure with a large portion of the fan base who Disney needs to support these films enthusiastically. 

 

Otherwise, two new, separate series, plus the anthology films, seems like a lot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I wonder if Rian is really still doing his trilogy. Despite what they say, this may be a way of easing Rian out and these guys in.  It's no secret TLJ was a failure with a large portion of the fan base who Disney needs to support these films enthusiastically. 

 

What a kick in the balls that would be.  If its true, its Disney's own fault for announcing Rian's trilogy before TLJ was in theaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

How on earth can you even conceivably call it a failure? (and I don't even like the film all that much)

 

No one denies it was a financial success. I said it was a failure with a large portion of the fan base...which it was. 

 

Those are the people Disney is going to need to support this franchise when it's no longer super hot.  Disney is going to need those people show up and support these films with positive buzz, especially for the non-Saga films without the general public's beloved characters.

 

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

What a kick in the balls that would be.  If its true, its Disney's own fault for announcing Rian's trilogy before TLJ was in theaters.

 

Who knows right? I also wonder what this says about Kathleen Kennedy's position.  She's not a story person the way Kevin Feige is, and has pretty much left the directors to their own devices...which has led to some expensive mistakes and the basic reboot of the new films with TLJ. I see that Benioff and Weiss will be writing and producing the new series...that sounds a lot like the role of show runner to me, with generic directors just getting the producer's vision on film.  If so, that was presumably what Kennedy was supposed to be doing.

 

So while I wouldn't call it a shake up, we are seeing a perhaps adjusting of the course in the Disney Star Wars universe. And I agree Disney (i.e. Kennedy) WAY jumped the gun on announcing the new Rian trilogy before anyone saw his work.

 

I dunno. I'm just trying to read between the lines, mostly just guessing. But it's hard to imagine having two new trilogies, plus the Kenobi film and whatever other anthology films they have planned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a great point.  The MCU works as well as it does because Fiege shapes all the stories to go together, and when they do hire a writer/director (IE Gunn for GOTG), the films were purposely set far apart from everything else going on and only tangentially related (for now)... many of the films are directed by "no name" directors who get the job done without bringing much personal flair.


The SW, Kennedy seemed to keep hiring prolific directors who want to make their mark, so the films don't gel as well with each other, and you have Rian John coming in and wiping out half of what JJ set up in 7, and leaving almost nothing on the table for 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

So while I wouldn't call it a shake up, we are seeing a perhaps adjusting of the course in the Disney Star Wars universe. And I agree Disney (i.e. Kennedy) WAY jumped the gun on announcing the new Rian trilogy before anyone saw his work.

 

I always imagined she revealed that before the premiere of TLJ to create buzz about the film.

 

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

The SW, Kennedy seemed to keep hiring prolific directors who want to make their mark, so the films don't gel as well with each other, and you have Rian John coming in and wiping out half of what JJ set up in 7, and leaving almost nothing on the table for 9.

 

I'm sure JJ approved of the storyline of TLJ. He's after all an executive producer and like a showrunner of the trilogy. I don't think for a second they scripted TLJ without also planning the basic storyline of Ep. IX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

I'm sure JJ approved of the storyline of TLJ. He's after all an executive producer and like a showrunner of the trilogy. I don't think for a second they scripted TLJ without also planning the basic storyline of Ep. IX.

 

Hmmm. I'm not so sure about all this. Yeah, he's an EP on TLJ, but based on everything I've read that's the extent of it. TLJ was pretty much exclusively RJ's to do with what he liked.  He's said as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Episode IX was really supposed to be Fisher's film then they probably had to do some major rewrites since there isn't another character to fill her role.  Maz perhaps?  I can see her character getting more prominence. 

 

Also, I think Johnson is given too much credit for "ruining" Star Wars.  Sure, he was given writing and directing credits, but it's not likely he had complete creative freedom and control as some imply (just look at the productions of RO and Solo).  I see TLJ more as a product of Disney rather than Johnson. I imagine whatever Johnson wanted to do, Disney had to approve first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Also, I think Johnson is given too much credit for "ruining" Star Wars.  Sure, he was given writing and directing credits, but it's not likely he had complete creative freedom and control as some imply (just look at the productions of RO and Solo).  I see TLJ more as a product of Disney rather than Johnson. I imagine whatever Johnson wanted to do, Disney had to approve first.

 

Exactly. I guess some basic storyline was laid out for him, and then he fleshed it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

Exactly. I guess some basic storyline was laid out for him, and then he fleshed it out.

 

I get the impressions that Johnson had a lot of say, but he also to follow strict guidelines regarding certain story elements and characters, which is typical of these kinds of franchise films. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God will destroy this planet just to make sure there will be no more Star Wars films.

 

My hope is that at some point, the well of running to the originals to create a Star Wars feel will be bone dry, and people will see how mediocre this new armada of marketing, sorry, series, really is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say I'm surprised by yet more new Star Warses in the making (why the hell else would Disney purchase the rights), but I do have to wonder about franchise fatigue and the very real threat it poses... to a franchise's longterm health. I've seen it happen in the game's industry, people get sick to death of once beloved series and they eventually need a break from it. Disney should know when to take timeout for a few years after Solo and then Epi 9, but there's no way they'll take any notice of such warnings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

God will destroy this planet just to make sure there will be no more Star Wars films.

 

My hope is that at some point, the well of running to the originals to create a Star Wars feel will be bone dry, and people will see how mediocre this new armada of marketing, sorry, series, really is.

 

You really are a joyless bastard .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

Exactly. I guess some basic storyline was laid out for him, and then he fleshed it out.

 

I really disagree with this. I see no evidence that there was ever a basic storyline, because if there was the film would have at least marginally built on what came before.  And RJ has made pretty clear on his Twitter feed and interviews that all the major decisions were his...Luke as the anti-hero, killing Snoke, deemphasing Rey's parentage, splitting up Finn and Poe, the casino planet, the tension between Leia and Finn, the Laura Dern character...all of these things RJ has mentioned as being his ideas. He wrote the thing. Do we really think "Disney" mandated all that? To say nothing of the fact that Kennedy and Abrams have both said RJ was given a clean slate.

 

I don't see what basic story they had other than "Rey is on the Island with Luke."  He pretty much had to start the film that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only started watching Game of Thrones last year, but I love it, so I'll definitely give these movies a shot. I'm not expecting them to be as good as Thrones mind you, just hoping they'll be significantly better than say, Troy...

 

2 hours ago, publicist said:

And whatever will arise, the loyal fans will shitstorm the hell out of it. 

 

I have one job on this lousy forum, it's stupid, but I'm gonna do it -- ok?!?!?!

 

54 minutes ago, crocodile said:

[crocodile posted two comics here that try to make fans who didn't like TLJ look dumb by pointing out many of the writing flaws in ROTJ]

 

;)

 

Karol

 

Laugh all you want, I agree with a lot of those complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

Let's hope David and Dan can keep Kennedy happy so she won't toss them overboard at the sight of slightest differences in the vision of what Star Wars should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So will this have sexposition then? 

 

It's all about franchise modernisation and progression these days, init. I mean, even Star Trek says "fuck" now. Although, probably an attempt to divert attention away from how awful it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Quintus said:

So will this have sexposition then? 

 

It's all about franchise modernisation and progression these days, init. I mean, even Star Trek says "fuck" now. Although, probably an attempt to divert attention away from how awful it is. 

They should do a sexposition scene instead of the famous opening crawl!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Let's hope David and Dan can keep Kennedy happy so she won't toss them overboard at the sight of slightest differences in the vision of what Star Wars should be.

 

This!

 

 

So it's a streaming series, right? Could mean more freedom for them ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this