Game Of Thrones Showrunners tackle Star Wars.

Isn't there two live action TV series plus the final season of Clone Wars? Nah, a theatrical release of Star Wars and then exclusive streaming rights pretty soon after it leaves theatres will be the future. 

18 hours ago, dougie said:

Isn't the word "hell" in the Bible?

Yes, along with "damn" and a couple of names that aren't meant to be said "the wrong way."

11 hours ago, Fabulin said:

That's interesting. In the catholic society I grew up in scaring children with hell was *not unheard of*

Oh, scaring kids with hell was absolutely encouraged among the Evangelicals I grew up with, they just didn't like to use the word "hell" for any other reason.

11 hours ago, dougie said:

Aren't most people atheists now?

Not in the Americas, Africa, or the Middle East, no.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:11 PM, John said:

I want Yoda to say the f word 

Forget the cussing, I want that Thrones-style "sexposition" in a Star Wars movie.

Get Esme Bianco to play one of Jabba's mistresses and it writes itself.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:38 PM, Bilbo said:

Isn't there two live action TV series plus the final season of Clone Wars? Nah, a theatrical release of Star Wars and then exclusive streaming rights pretty soon after it leaves theatres will be the future. 

A short theatrical run (for like two weeks) and then streaming will be the future.

• 1 month later...

The TIMING of this...
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/star-wars-2022-movie-game-of-thrones-creators-1203214646/

The rumor is that Benioff & Weiss are going to be making prequel movies - specifically, Old Republic movies. It's essentially the "Game of Thrones" era for Star Wars, hence why they were tapped. 

People are going to have their prequel nostalgia tested really strongly by these guys, because if the last 2-3 seasons of their show are any indication, every plotting problem, character inconsistency, and general storytelling jank that the Prequels got raked for are coming back in full force. People wanted to know what it was like to live through that era, I think they're about to find out. 

Ramin's probably getting a Star Wars trilogy though, so that's good. 

1 minute ago, Larry O said:

People wanted to know what it was like to live through that era, I think they're about to find out. 

People want to know what it was like to be alive in 2002?

After hearing how B&W handled this latest season of GOT, my confidence in their ability to helm a Star Wars film is... quite low. I would much rather Johnson make a series set in the Old Republic timeline. 

Oh dear...

yeah, there's quite a few people who were like, 5-6 (basically little kids) when those things were first coming out, and so there's not really a frame of reference for what a weird madhouse the internet was when those movies were being made. They got online way later and only found out long after the fact that those goofy kids movies they liked were the center of some ridiculous hijinks for years on end. There's a lot of Star Wars fans now who only know of that era through second-or-third-hand stories. It doesn't make sense to them (and it probably shouldn't, it was crazy back then) why Star Wars was such a controversial thing. 

Now they're gonna live through their own prequel era courtesy of Benioff & Weiss. 

It's gonna be interesting. 

2 minutes ago, John said:

After hearing how B&W handled this latest season of GOT, my confidence in their ability to write a Star Wars script is... quite low. I would much rather Johnson make a series set in the Old Republic timeline. 

So now we're pretending that multiple-times Primetime Emmy winners aren't good writers?

20 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I've always wondered...

Attack of the Clones and Weezer's Maladroit came out days apart and the conversations I had about both on AOL Instant Messenger are truly the peak of Western discourse.

43 minutes ago, Larry O said:

It doesn't make sense to them (and it probably shouldn't, it was crazy back then) why Star Wars was such a controversial thing. 

It's really not very different from now.  Just a buncha whining.

On 7/17/2002 at 9:32 PM, Guest said:

I am so sick of the relentless Star Wars prequel bashing on this site. It really gets old.

On 12/16/2005 at 7:22 AM, Sandor said:

But I DO accept - understand even - that people DON'T like the prequels!

What I don't understand is why people WANT to invest so much time ventilating their disliking. The only reasonable conclusion I can draw is that they do it because it gives them enjoyment.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

So now we're pretending that multiple-times Primetime Emmy winners aren't good writers?

After this recent season of GOT, I have my doubts. 

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Have you seen the last few eps of their landmark show?

I have. Its hardly unheard of for a TV series to drop the ball in its last season.

Filmmaking is hard and everyone has missteps.

People working in the creative fields in general are known for many things: consistency is not one of them. One time you churn out a stunner, another time - a stinker. Doesn't mean we should write people off.

Prequels to the prequels? Sorry to say, but I don't think I'll be interested in this, despite it having much potential.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I have. Its hardly unheard of for a TV series to drop the ball in its last season.

Filmmaking is hard and everyone has missteps.

He who makes a hit TV show and yet stumbles in the final season is guilty of all, to some.

I agree with you though, Chen. 

41 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Filmmaking is hard and everyone has missteps.

People working in the creative fields in general are known for many things: consistency is not one of them. One time you churn out a stunner, another time - a stinker. Doesn't mean we should write people off.

But for a series of such a previously high caliber, up there with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, both of which stuck the landing in a satisfying and thematically coherent way...

...to end on such a low note like this? It does not give me confidence in what they will do with Star Wars.

A kid born on the same day as Revenge of the Sith's opening night would be a senior in high school when the first episode of Benioff/Weiss' new prequel trilogy comes out.

5 hours ago, Romão said:

That would probably be the biggest dip in musical quality in the history of any movie franchise

I dunno. We’ve already had Giacchino. 

16 hours ago, Larry O said:

A kid born on the same day as Revenge of the Sith's opening night would be a senior in high school when the first episode of Benioff/Weiss' new prequel trilogy comes out.

But Revenge of the Sith hasn't come out yet. 

• 5 months later...

Well, it seems like Lucasfilm and Disney aren't solely in this rut. It seems commonplace for a studio nowadays to have the shit hit the fan constituting in massive reshoots, going over budget, failing test audiences. Films, especially these big blockbusters are more a commodity now than they ever were and again we're seeing these studios compensate to make a film which can be sold to audiences.

I would like to know what Netflix project D&D chose to work on over producing a trilogy of Star Wars films which isn't some small pittance, but a lot of money they're walking away from. 

Ditto. Dedicate all resources to Johnson's new trilogy (Old Republic?) and throw the bank at Williams to compose a suite of totally new themes to establish that trilogy and hand off the complete job to Powell.

They've worked together already which would probably give Williams some confidence to reunite with him.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Thank the maker!

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Lucasfilm is an absolute mess bts. Can they make anything without drama? 

I don’t think this qualifies, personally.  In development projects are announced and cancelled regularly in the film industry.  This is pretty far from the firings of Lord/Miller or Trevorrow.  Especially since it seems this is just a case of D&D leaving to freely harvest from the Netflix money tree.