Quincy Jones interview

TownerFan

New interview with the Q, it contains some pretty crazy remarks about many things. He also briefly talks about film music and his experience on The Color Purple:

Are you as down on the state of film scoring as you are on pop?
It’s not good. Everybody’s lazy. Alexandre Desplat— he’s good. He’s my brother. He was influenced by my scores.

Again, when you say film composers are lazy, what does that mean, exactly, in this context?
It means they’re not going back and listening to what Bernard Herrmann did.

You talk so often about your ups — I’m wondering if maybe you can talk about one of your downs.
What happened was that I was a producer on The Color Purple. Spielberg and me are still great friends, man. He’s a great fucking guy. I loved working with him.

Yep, but what happened on The Color Purple that caused your breakdown?
What happened was that I was a producer on that movie and everybody went on vacation after we finished filming — everybody except me. I had to stay home and write an hour and 55 minutes of music for the movie. I was so fucking tired from doing that, I couldn’t see. I put too much on my plate and it took its toll. You learn from your mistakes and I learned I couldn’t do that again.

Check it out in full, it's a pretty amusing read:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html

You like Brazilian music?

Yeah, but I don’t know much beyond Jorge Ben and Gilberto Gil.
Gilberto Gil and Caetano Veloso are the kings! 

Here no one gives any fucking attention to these two, man! They are communists! 

I do not doubt it. The man was Michael's producer! Now we just need to know who ordered the Kennedy's murder and whether Q actually dined with Ivanka.

My favorite Michael Jackson period is the mid-90's, like Blood on the Dance Floor. As for Quincy Jones, I really wish he wrote a lot more music. This is my favorite thing with his name on it (based on a Benny Golson track):