"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

People pouncing on clunky analog edits reminds me of people on those 4K groups on Facebook who freak out when they see an older film has visible grain and demand to know why their disc is "defective", as if that's the first time they've even seen what film looks like.

8 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

As a concept album, the OST works.

I agree most OSTs work in that manner quite well/ I love getting expanded editions but the captured highlights are always more accessible if pressed for time. One of the reasons I still have most OST sets unless theat program is also remastered with the expanded albums.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

As the music wasn't composed as a standalone work, it's natural that some editing and trimming is needed to best present it outside of the film. It has nothing to do with quality.

Yup, we’ll said.

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Why the composer should tell me what I should like and not leave it to my judgement?

Haha, for real? Why don’t they repaint the Mona Lisa, I don’t like the colours. And change Beethoven’s Fifth while they’re at it. There are too many notes.

Thankfully, with expansions, we can edit it the way we like it. Up until then, the presentation is in the hands of the composer - who can present it as he sees best. And even though I might not agree with every OST, I wouldn’t presume to rob him of the ownership of his work.

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

As a concept album, the OST works.

It works just as well as any selection of 35 minutes from that score would work. It's not Goldsmith's finest hour (i. e. Poltergeist, First Blood).

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Thankfully, with expansions, we can edit it the way we like it. Up until then, the presentation is in the hands of the composer - who can present it as he sees best.

This.

And since the battle for composer-approved OST's has been lost since 20 years - there is a composer-approved edit of 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids' out there, and people hated that even if it ain't gonna get much better than that - i don't see much use in the discussion.

Most of us do not even listen to these cd's (like 3 albums of Roger Rabbit, i mean seriously? Who listens to stuff like this one piece? You edit it down to a manageable album and then listen to this, either as flac, mp3 or bruned cd-r.

Come on, would DSOTM have worked just as well if PF just chucked in every piece they wrote? (Assuming they did write more). Or would Bad have been as good an album if MJ got his way to release it as three discs before QJ intervened and said "it only needs one"?

Film score nuts are an entitled bunch.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

What you mean with 'worked as well'? You are a fucking dinosaur still clinging to an age of albums designed for listening purposes. It's over, man!

More C&C propaganda that attempts to discredit the listening preferences of certain fans by painting us as anachronistic philistine misfits. Nice try!

17 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

More C&C propaganda that attempts to discredit the listening preferences of certain fans by painting us as anachronistic philistine misfits. Nice try!

Just stating the bloody obvious. When Williams is gone, who else is there even attempting to put such albums out?

The last albums designed with the listener in mind (Williams aside) were by JNH and they were called 'Signs', 'The Village' and 'Lady in the Water'.

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

Just stating the bloody obvious. When Williams is gone, who else is there even attempting to put such albums out?

The last albums designed with the listener in mind (Williams aside) were by JNH and they were called 'Signs', 'The Village' and 'Lady in the Water'.

Christopher Young and Hans Zimmer continue this practice routinely. Honestly, I have no idea who all these new guys are, but they have a big "who cares" hanging over them.

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

Haha, for real? Why don’t they repaint the Mona Lisa, I don’t like the colours.

Did Leonardo cut out the eyes and the river in the background from the Mona Lisa because it would be more accessible to the average dude that way?

18 minutes ago, Holko said:

Did Leonardo cut out the eyes and the river in the background from the Mona Lisa because it would be more accessible to the average dude that way?

False equivalence!

Christopher Young and Hans Zimmer continue this practice routinely. Honestly, I have no idea who all these new guys are, but they have a big "who cares" hanging over them.

Yep. I'd say Young is a somewhat lesser extent, but he certainly likes doing it with his expansions. Zimmer is more extreme than JW - so many of his OSTs are more suites than just joining a few cues or the odd microedit.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

The Village's OST arrangement makes as much sense as The Terminal. A very out-of-character album from Howard.

I wouldn't say Signs is particularly arranged for listening. It's missing some minor cues but it's otherwise chronological. Same goes for Lady

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Nevermind, why does @Jay not comment on anything here? I assume he knows a lot about what we will get this year!

Honestly, do you think he would say which Williams releases are coming if he knew? :huh:

30 minutes ago, Holko said:

Well, he might have. That’s the point. It’s not always up to the audience. It’s the artist prerogative to leave out or add to the piece - be it art or music - as he thinks will benefit the reception.

We, as an audience, might think that that is right or wrong (he should have done this, he should have done that), but it’s not up to us.

Zimmer, yes. I forgot. Young i have no idea, but those Monkey King and Priest albums were as crammed as everything these days. Nearly all new albums i listen to at Spotify are too long, often exceeding 70 minutes.

24 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The Village's OST arrangement makes as much sense as The Terminal. A very out-of-character album from Howard.

I wouldn't say Signs is particularly arranged for listening. It's missing some minor cues but it's otherwise chronological. Same goes for Lady

What does it matter if it's chronological? If that is the best listening experience (according to the composer) that's the way it is.

Alien complete score drags. The Intrada version is too thorough. Even ST:TMP has too much music. Goldsmith scores are rarely as perfect in complete form as, say, STV. Now that's entertaining as hell from start to finish. Also a great album.

With most Goldsmith OSTs, I find you only need a few extra tracks from the complete score.

Where would the fun of the whole anticipation and the surprise be if we were just told everything in the beginning of the year?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's certainly not my place to answer any of that.

Would you be able to give us a basic timeframe of when we might know? Like, "sometime in summer", or "sometime in winter"? Or is the best we're getting "sometime in 2018"?

Please link me to them "boasting"?

Also, releases being postponed are never a decision by the label themselves, its always because the damn studio or some entity that needs to sign off on something doesn't do so when expected.  

Oh, okay, I didn't know that they couldn't control release dates a tall. BUt... Why doesn't the signing off happen at the start of the project...?

Well, I remember at least five Facebook posts or more about pretty sweet, pretty great releases that required us to save our money, save our money, save our money and save our money. I don't really like reading that six times a year, it's too much for my impatience.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was finished and expected to come out in 2014 for its 10th anniversary but didn't come out until 2017 due to waiting for final approval from the rightsholder.

The Great Race was finished and expected to come out in 2015 for its 50th anniversary but didn't come out until 2017 due to waiting for final approval from the rightsholder.

Wyatt Earp and The Last Boyscout were similarly delayed for a really long time waiting for Kevin Costner and freaking Damon Wayans to sign off. 

These things happen and our out of their control.

And I have no idea what "save your money" posts BY LA-LA LAND you are referring to.  They have certainly released lots of expensive box sets in the past few years, so if they did make a post about that, it was probably about one of those, and whatever it was didn't happen to be your cup of tea so you ignored them, even though they fit the criteria of what they said for many others who were happy to have them.

Mike M of course mentioned saving money in the Jurassic Park podcast, but he is an independent producer who does work for many labels so his comments should not be assumed to align with anything La-La Land says.  I think all the labels are getting a piece of the Williams pie this year.

9 hours ago, publicist said:

There is almost no score that plays 'perfect' in complete form. 

I think Signs comes pretty close. Maybe one cue doesn't quite feel needed, but in a 55 minute score, that's pretty good.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

The Village sessions leaked anyway, didn't they? But yeah, that was a bizarre and irritating OST. I love that score but all the edits on the OST drove me nuts.

I didn't think the OST has any major edits? For me it was the missing opening music and an imbalance away from some of the interesting melodic material. Plus, what on earth is The Shed... doing closing the album? It's like Howard wanted to end the album on the 'creatures' and not the characters.

I wonder if it's coincidence that as M.Night's movies got worse, my desire for unreleased music has plummeted. I added two cues to Lady, and nothing to The Happening or The Last Airbender.

10 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Alien complete score drags. The Intrada version is too thorough. Even ST:TMP has too much music. Goldsmith scores are rarely as perfect in complete form as, say, STV. Now that's entertaining as hell from start to finish. Also a great album.

With most Goldsmith OSTs, I find you only need a few extra tracks from the complete score.

Sacrilege! Every cue from STMP is critical. CRITICAL!

(Okay. Perhaps not. But I could listen to the complete V'ger setpiece every day)

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

You guys are nuts. even the release of ONE long sought after highlight cue is worth a 2 c.d. expansion over the OSTs

Star Trek TMP and Alien had tons of those. Who cares if the total presentation  is too long

it's ALWAYS better to remove what you don't like than not being able  to add a cue you really want

I probably COULD agree more, but I'm not immediately certain how.