"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Breaking a lance for Denise here, the old Columbia album of ST TMP is a hell of a good release.

It sure is.  I still listen to that from time to time.  I love the expanded version(s), too, and wouldn't want to give up any of the additional music; but sometimes, that OST scratches the itch just fine.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Just found a way to totally forget about upcoming JW expansions, listening to LLL's Titanic! It's all good now.

Indeed. John who? The old guy from Jurassic Park?

We are indebted to this Horner fellow. We will watch his career with great interest!

4 hours ago, phbart said:

OST albums are similar to entry level electronics. They offer you a hint of what you could get with a more complete device.

And if the OST has superior sound quality to the expanded? As they often do...

Just now, King Mark said:

I can't really think of many examples where that's the case

Many OSTs have superior dynamic range to their more recent expanded counterparts, which have been applied some gain in quieter moments, and mastered brighter and louder so people can hear it better while they're commuting.

5 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

The SW OT OSTs sound better than the reissues. Concord's Indys 1 and 2 are a mess.

We don't talk about those pieces of shite!

6 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Many OSTs have superior dynamic range to their more recent expanded counterparts, which have been applied some gain in quieter moments, and mastered brighter and louder so people can hear it better while they're commuting.

Mike M doesn't do that.

On 14 February 2018 at 3:06 AM, Denise Bryson said:

Indeed. Especially if the mastering engineer is one Erick Labson.

I really don't see who specialty label expanded releases can fit the "loudness war" category. Some releases MAY have a little dynamic range compression here and there, but nothing you can detect just by listening. Every tool in audio mixing softwares, if applied carefuly and wisely, including dynamic range compression, can only bring benefits. If a new expanded release sounds "louder" that the OST album from 20, 30 years ago, doesn't mean it sounds worse.

Have you ever listened to Varése's 'Peggy Sue Got Married'? Because it's a fucking epitome of 'loudness war'. And releases like 'Predator 2' and 'Starship Troopers', while not nearly as bad, are also mastered rather 'hot'. Many of the new releases, while acceptable for modern listening standards, do not really sound as good as marketing leds you to believe. A friend of mine is in producing/mastering and he pointed me to several Intrada and Varése releases where he corrected the sound with a few simple software tricks and they sounded all much more natural afterwards.

I'm not particularly audiophilic when it comes to the majority of scores because the recording/mastering doesn't lend itself at all to that sort of thing. So many Williams recordings, for instance, sound downright shoddy.

Now, Horner scores are a completely different matter. Even if it wasn't a particularly good score, you were usually guaranteed exceptional dynamic range.

36 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Well they're fucking ruining it for audiophiles who want dynamic sound!

I attended a performance of Holst's The Planets on Thursday, with up-and-coming conductor Krzysztof Urbanski. That's one of the great works which are so much better experienced live because of its huge dynamic range and monumental build-ups.

Oh, and they played a suite of SW music from the OT. You might say it was a missed opportunity not to include anything from the newer films, but the OT has the best music anyway. ;) No new arrangement of Han Solo and the Princess, unfortunately (nor the original arrangement). They could also have included the final battle music of ANH.

The most recent release of Jaws received so much praise for the audio. While it sounded better than previous releases, it still sounded like shit to me and I didn't hear anything resembling dynamic range. I prefer the sound of Horner and Goldsmith scores. Williams and his engineers ruin some great performances of iconic scores with bad recording and mastering.

There are exceptions to the rule. TLW and E.T. sound great.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

BRAINSTORM still sounds fantastic!

It's staggering to think that it's recorded direct to two-track.

Fresh as a daisy, deep, and open. I salivate at the thought at what 2018 remastering could do for it.

They'll just listen to it and go "way too dynamic, millennial listeners will hate it, make it brighter and louder so they can hear it on the train".

Horner cared about the presentation of his music. Being younger than Williams, he was probably more adept with contemporary recording technology. I remember he talked shit about the Abbey Road Studios in the Aliens documentary and basically called the engineer (who had worked on SW) incompetent. You can't argue with his results.

16 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Horner cared about the presentation of his music. Being younger than Williams, he was probably more adept with contemporary recording technology. I remember he talked shit about the Abbey Road Studios in the Aliens documentary and basically called the engineer (who had worked on SW) incompetent. You can't argue with his results.

I've seen that documentary, too. Horner was an arrogant little shit, back then. Apparently, not much changed.

The engineer on ALIENS was Eric Tomlinson, and he did a bang-up job, on that score. I'd rather have his lovely, dry sound, than Murphy's homogeneous, wet fish crap.