"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

Just came across this: HP1 20th anniversary book out in June. Could that possibly mean a musical treat as well? I kind of expected HP to be a Black Friday thing, but one never knows.

https://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/harry-potter-paperback-book-covers-for-20th-anniversary-set-unveiled-by-scholastic-109621/

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Just came across this: HP1 20th anniversary book out in June. Could that possibly mean a musical treat as well? I kind of expected HP to be a Black Friday thing, but one never knows.

https://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/harry-potter-paperback-book-covers-for-20th-anniversary-set-unveiled-by-scholastic-109621/

For the books, yes. The twentieth anniversary of the films and the scores is three years away. :(

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Really, just after the rerelease of the OSTs? Why do you think that?

Exactly because of the re-release of the OST albums.... When they announced that, I knew right away the Complete albums aren't far behind.

Besides, next year it's the 20th anniversary of TPM. We'll probably get the Complete TPM this year, and AotC and RotS soon after.

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Exactly because of the re-release of the OST albums.... When they announced that, I knew right away the Complete albums aren't far behind.

Besides, next year it's the 20th anniversary of TPM. We'll probably get the Complete TPM this year, and AotC and RotS soon after.

I agree they're probably not far behind, but Disney is first going to milk the OSTs for what they're worth. I'm guessing we'll get the complete scores next year.

19 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Well the actual 20th anniversary of the first book was last year and we got nothing from that...

12 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

It's reserved for Indy!

Harry Potter > Indy 

Regarding HP, do we actually need the films to be 20 years old for a release to be possible, or is that just the 'logical' thing to do or a happy coincidence for previous titles? I mean, the license fees only count for the first 10 years, right? So would there be anything else stopping expanded releases from happening now, given the endless milking of the books (seriously, who still has to buy these now?), play (why would anyone be interested in that crap), exhibitions, and of course the concerts?

52 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

I think we'll see expanded Potter scores way before expanded PT scores.

Star Wars Prequel Trilogy expansions in 2019 (20th anniversary of Phantom Meance)

Star Wars Original Trilogy expansions in 2020 (40th anniversary of Empire Strikes Back)

Star Wars Sequel Trilogy expansions ... ?

Potter Trilogy box? November 2018 from LaLa Land Records. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so May is seeing La-La-Land Records release Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. It is pretty much the same as was on the FSM box set, and the only thing worth it for me was the Maestro's three themes. I do have a good feeling; perhaps the Maestro's score to Superman: The Movie, newly remastered? Still, the 2008 release on the box set was superb, so I don't know how the sound quality could be improved already. Who knows?

7 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Okay, so May is seeing La-La-Land Records release Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. It is pretty much the same as was on the FSM box set, and the only thing worth it for me was the Maestro's three themes. I do have a good feeling about the June to December time frame. Perhaps the Maestro's score to Superman: The Movie, newly remastered? Still, the 2008 release on the box set was superb, so I don't know how the sound quality could be improved already. Who knows?

As MV said on the FSM Superman IV thread:

"No Comment. :) " 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I respectfully disagree. In the Debney re-recording some of the instruments sound too distant.

Haven't listened to it, but i never like re-recordings. I always prefer the original thing.

10 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Haven't listened to it, but i never like re-recordings. I always prefer the original thing.

Even when the original sounds like mono deteriorated dog poo? (Not Superman obviously)

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Conan?

That's the one I always think of when people turn their noses up at later recordings. Mastering quibbles aside, Prometheus' Conan is my favorite album ever.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Conan?

yeah, still like the original better.

I prefer listening to the original sentiment and general emotion that comes from the recording even if it isn't 100% crystal clear and you can't hear all the instruments.

22 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I always prefer the better performance which can't be questioned in this case.

the better performance is subjective.

Unless you mean the better audio quality!

"I know."

- The highly* disturbed guy at Sony Classical receiving and answering the letters from angry fans complaining about the SE's sound quality

18 hours ago, Brundlefly said:
On 5/4/2018 at 6:09 AM, filmmusic said:

Conan?

Force Awakens (Lockhart)? :D

On 04 May 2018 at 10:38 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I respectfully disagree. In the Debney re-recording some of the instruments sound too distant.

And there's quite a few brass flubs.

I still enjoy it as an alternate take on the score.

I just need to figure out how to speed up the To the Lair cue without changing the pitch and introducing unwanted artifacts.

;)

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, filmmusic said:

How do you know?

there is still that question mark release.

Has there ever been a time where in the monthly release announcement flyer there has been a question mark only for the release in question to be revealed as one of the Marstro’s works?

I would be incredibly surprised if that were the case.

4 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Has there ever been a time where in the monthly release announcement flyer there has been a question mark only for the release in question to be revealed as one of the Marstro’s works?

I would be incredibly surprised if that were the case.

well, they did say Williams is coming. I just didn't understand if they meant now or later.