"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

15 minutes ago, MikePetersen said:

I wonder if the "meh" release could be Peter Bernstein's Ewok scores, the wider implication being that La La now has access to the Lucasfilm vaults.

What about Willow? Isn't that release highly sought after but can't be expanded for some reason?

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

What about Willow? Isn't that release highly sought after but can't be expanded for some reason?

Willow would surely be included, *if* the Lucasfilm vault has been made available. So would all of the Indy scores, Land Before Time, and Star Wars. I would love an expanded Willow!!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

So essentially the speculation is that whatever deal Intrada has with Disney wouldn't apply to Lucasfilm scores?

Ah, yes, that. I forgot that the Lucasfilm properties fall under the Disney banner now. But is that true for all, or just for Star Wars?

Indy is out of bounds anyway for anything from 2 months to 2 years until Concord loses the license, isn't it?

I sure hope it's not much longer than 10 years. The CDs (not the box, which is OOP I believe) are still on print on Amazon with the Concord label on the description and the streaming versions (the Spotify ones, at least) have the copyright to "2008 Lucasfilm under exclusive to Concord" where the image cover is the fedora hat similar to the 2008 box and simply "2008 Lucasfilm" where the image cover is the same as the OSTs. The 44.1khz/24bit version of Raiders from HDtracks is credited only to Concord with no mention of Lucasfilm and is dated 2017. I believe there's a Raiders dual vinyl set from Concord too, right?

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Indy is out of bounds anyway for anything from 2 months to 2 years until Concord loses the license, isn't it?

I'm just going to assume that's correct because they're some of the most beloved JW film scores of all time and we typically can't have those definitively released. So just stick with the versions playing at the wrong speed.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:34 AM, bollemanneke said:

But compared to TLW, ET wasn't that special... was it?

Only the ride music, which was sourced from a deteriorating copy and sounds weird.

Half way through 2018 and its been one for the books! 

Or maybe it will actually be a couple of books instead of CDs!

1. The Boys' Bumper Book of Film Composers
  2. Film Composers and Their Amanuenses for You to Color

The latter would be LaLa Land's contribution to the current (hopefully short-lived) trend for adult colouring books, published just too late for Christmas.

On 6/13/2018 at 6:51 AM, bollemanneke said:

Or they'll do an entire JW Black Friday.

That would be awesome!

Still, no point in speculating when the next release will be. La La Land Records statement is true, and when an announcement comes, then it comes. The anxiousness is not needed. Then again, I guess there is some fun is guessing when an announcement will be; all in moderation, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

A year for the books indeed... Can't wait till my Hook/HP/Far and Away/Schindler's LIst/Jane Eyre CDs arrive...  Luckily, I'm on holiday in England right now so everything is a happy blur anyway.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, bollemanneke said:

Well we can't all crave Dracula, can we?

Dracula, it's already done. We now have a perfect mint LP restoration in FLAC. Oh, you still don't have it?

Honestly I’d forgotten that this thread was focused on just LLL.  I’ve been thinking of it as a general “Williams releases in 2018” hype thread.  Of course Williams releases by any other label had gotten so rare there kinda wasn’t a difference between the two in my mind.

2015 brought us Jaws and Jaws 2 from Intrada, and Tom Sawyer from Quartet.

2017 brought us Stanley and Iris and Pete N Tillie from Varese.

2018 has brought us The Cowboys from Varese.

Other than that, it's been all La La Land, all the time (Empire of the Sun in 2014, AI, Lost in Space, and Home Alone in 2015, Juassic Park and The Lost World in 2016, ET and CE3K in 2017).

I am sure the future will bring more titles from all the labels.

Having E.T. and CE3K in the same year with a few months apart from each other, that was really the one "for the books". I honestly doubt LLL (or any other label) will surpass that incredible feat this year...

8 hours ago, phbart said:

Having E.T. and CE3K in the same year with a few months apart from each other, that was really the one "for the books". I honestly doubt LLL (or any other label) will surpass that incredible feat this year...

But why? I was just a couple of minutes of unreleased music.

They are both monumental releases, presenting previously unreleased music in extraordinary sound quality. In the case of ET, it's one of the most beloved scores of Williams' career. That's why they're big deals.

I just picked up CE3K to soak up the glory!

I've listened to the score before, I just was never really into it as much as the others and had only seen the film twice.

Sure there are people who obsess over every second of piano he played in obscure TV shows, but The Cowboys is genuinely great, sounds wonderful, and is the first proper release of the score.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Sure there are people who obsess over every second of piano he played in obscure TV shows, but The Cowboys is genuinely great, sounds wonderful, and is the first proper release of the score.

You are speaking to the choir here. I have been a fan of the film and score for 45 years. However I am about to give up. I order got a notice of the order and a shipping confirmation then another notice it has not shipped and now I wait.

19 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Nothing wrong with those sentiments.  Seriously unless you are a completist collector there are lots of scores out there that are nothing but curiosities. Though Im sure there are JW fans with ocd, aspergers, or some other disorder that listens to conrack or none but the brave over and over wishing for I passed for White and Because their Young their lives forever unfufilled because of these gaps

Sure, but there really are lots of genuinely great Williams scores outside of his popular franchise scores that get most of the attention.  That was my point.  The Cowboys is absolutely as worthy of attention as scores like ET or Raiders (notice I didn't say "as good as" or "better than", just "as worthy of attention")