"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

Well Stu you could say E.T. is better because it is. 

And I would....it's my favorite film score and one of my favorite pieces of music of any genre/format.  BUT.  The Cowboys is just as worthy of attention for dedicated fans of Williams' work.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sure, but there really are lots of genuinely great Williams scores outside of his popular franchise scores that get most of the attention.  That was my point.  The Cowboys is absolutely as worthy of attention as scores like ET or Raiders (notice I didn't say "as good as" or "better than", just "as worthy of attention")

But is A really just as worthy of attention as B, if A isn't as good as B?

This is reality.  Not some hypothetical universe, "desert island" or "if you could only listen to one of these."  The real world where you can listen to hours upon hours of music.  In the real world, for a fan of Williams' work, The Cowboys is as worthy of their attention as Williams' most popular works.

It's indeed a good work, but from a critical point of view, as presented on the OST the score is not among JW's best, in my opinion. However, he did a great job distilling it into the expanded concert overture, which to me is great.

Ok. The Cowboys music is great and it's wonderful to have a proper and complete release of it, but calling it "one for the books" is definitely overreacting, as the movie (which barely made its money back) and music are far from being a masterpiece. I remember this was called "the best pre-SW" music by JW. Seriously? Jaws, anyone? Again, Cowboy is great, but it's not all that. Sorry. ¯ \ _ (ツ) _ / ¯

And

AGAIN

MV from La-La Land declared 2018 to be one for the books in terms of THEIR JW releases

The Cowboys was released by Varese Sarabande.  MV might not have even know it was coming at all when he said that, and even if he did, it would be irrelevant to his statement, which was as statement about what HIS label was up to

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

And

AGAIN

MV from La-La Land declared 2018 to be one for the books in terms of THEIR JW releases

The Cowboys was released by Varese Sarabande.  MV might not have even know it was coming at all when he said that, and even if he did, it would be irrelevant to his statement, which was as statement about what HIS label was up to

That's why I said I doubt they'll surpass the E.T. and CE3K feat from last year. That kind of thing is what I call "one for the books". But I hope in the next couple of months someone quote this post of mine saying "See? You were dead wrong, stupid bitch!" 😃

Whatever LLL has up their sleeves for 2018, I'm stoked! For the first time in years I actually have disposable income to spend (thanks to my new job) so I'll be ordering whatever they dish up pronto.

What is it, like 4 and a half months until Black Friday? 😀

Potential LLL Williams definitive releases that would qualify to make this year "one for the books":

Dracula (if decent tapes for the complete score can be found)

Witches of Eastwick (MV said they wanted to do this long ago but Perseverance got the album rights tied up for a while which delayed)

JFK (very curious to hear everything recorded for this)

any of the Harry Potter scores complete, obviously....especially Prisoner of Azkaban

maybe The River, if there's any significant unreleased music?

Sadly the scores for The Rare Breed, Story of a Woman, and Sugarland Express will not be released until John Williams himself softens on the idea. I'd be excited for any of those, especially the first two. Jane Eyre complete tapes are lost and The Reivers has some sort of complicated rights issues according to MV, though LLL has cleared those up in the past on things that were described as "unlikely" such as Twister. One I do NOT care about (but LLL supposedly has in their sights) is The Towering Inferno (might be my least favorite Williams score I own) but I know some people want a new issue of it.

Yavar

I have a feeling that at least two releases will be from the Maestro’s collaboration with Steven Spielberg.

Granted, it’s a guess, but it is possible.

Another possibility is a remastered, slightly expanded with additional unreleased material (if any) definitive release of the Maestro’s score to Superman.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

I have a feeling that at least two releases will be from the Maestro’s collaboration with Steven Spielberg.

Blessed be the fruit!

7 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

It's settled then.

2 minutes ago, phbart said:

Blessed be the fruit!

Blessed are the cheesemakers!

9 minutes ago, Jonny said:

“The Reivers, published in 1962, is the last novel by the American author William Faulkner. The bestselling novel was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1963.”

“One for the books?”

I can dream can’t I?

No, not on JWFan. This is where dreams come to die.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No, not on JWFan. This is where dreams come to die.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Probably just an oversight. Indy will just revert to Disney Records anyway.

The "old" releases, copyrighted "2008 Lucasfilm under exclusive to Concord Music Group", are still there as well. The funny thing is that KoTCS has 5 albums listed on Spotify, all the exact same content of course, but 4 of them copyrighted the same way, and only one to "2018 Lucasfilm".

The "old" 2016 SW and remastered 2018 are both listed as well, both to just Lucasfilm too. Could it be that Disney doesn't control the rights of digital releases?

5 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Oh yeah. There's another Indy movie and score still to come.

Not until 2021, I'm afraid.

https://www.timesnownews.com/entertainment/news/international-news/article/indiana-jones-5-movie-release-date-postponed-to-2021/252873

That 2008-2018 information sounds promising.

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nah, it's another infinitesimally improved release of HA 1 & 2.

That joke is being made twice a day. Stop it!:angry:

On 7/13/2018 at 12:53 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

We should rejoice if it gets made this century.

No, they should have stopped after The Last Crusade. 

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'll happily be proven wrong but I somehow doubt Williams will have much interest writing a new Indiana Jones score when he's 89.

Who knows. Perhaps he'll surprise us once again with his most youthful and energetic score in 50 years.

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

almost as unlikely as me getting a girlfriend.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Get Joe Kraemer to do it instead.

I'm not sure that's a reasonable substitute.

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I want so badly to hear a Powell Indy score, but that's almost as unlikely as me getting a girlfriend.

Why so? It's increasingly clear that Kennedy and Spielberg have been "screen testing" composers over the last few years in Gia/Powell/Silvestri/Newman, all of whom would've had Williams' stamp of approval (plus Desplat, but we know what happened there).

If I had to guess, I'd say Powell's effort on Solo has garnered the most positive feedback internally amongst Williams' camp.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Why so? It's increasingly clear that Kennedy and Spielberg have been "screen testing" composers over the last few years in Gia/Powell/Silvestri/Newman, all of whom would've had Williams' stamp of approval (plus Desplat, but we know what happened there).

If I had to guess, I'd say Powell's effort on Solo has garnered the most positive feedback internally amongst Williams' camp.

Don't you dare give me hope, you cad.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If you read the posts above mine, you'd realize I suggested Kraemer instead of Giacchino and Powell.

If you read my other posts from the past 15+ years, you'd realise I rarely waste an opportunity for a dumb joke.