"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

On 10/14/2018 at 9:09 PM, Nick Parker said:

but really, when you get down to it, John Williams has shown through his work time and time again that he's dedicated to doing something new, taking a different approach whenever possible.

You mean the guitar player?

On 10/12/2018 at 3:25 PM, crumbs said:

Your opinion is wrong.

Azkaban was Williams' last true masterpiece. Inspired, colourful, thoroughly original and totally unlike the two scores preceding it. The year off did him wonders in 2003.

That Youtube channel (manowweik1995) posted a bunch of HP3 cues last week and they sound pretty good: how he managed to clean the audio that well, is beyond me. Doesn't sound like a DVDrip or a BDrip at all.

He should do the full soundtrack. 

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's still pretty muffled. A proper, Matessino-produced expansion of this score will sound utterly glorious. It's a superb recording.

I completely agree. I really hope it will be released.

The HP1 and HP2 expanded soundtracks are incredible.

You don't need "tapes" for a score recorded in 2004.  The music editor (and studio archivists) would have everything on a hard drive.

I can't find confirmation anywhere but I would've guessed the Potter scores were recorded both digitally and analogue, like the Star Wars prequels. Both were recorded at Abbey Road and ROTS (which had analogue masters) was recorded a year after POA.

The recent Star Wars prequel remasters were sourced from high-definition scans of the analogue masters and are a huge improvement over the digitally-sourced OSTs. It's nice to dream that Potter could receive a similar boost in AQ, but I still think the OSTs sound pretty damn good.

That said, I never had any issues with the AQ of the prequel OSTs... until hearing how much additional detail could be yielded from high resolution 24/192 scans of the analogue masters!

I think every Williams score even to this day is still recorded both analogue and digital.  Or maybe they finally switched to digital only after all his 2005 scores, I don't remember

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

Of course he does, why else would he have listened to all 3 a week or so ago?

Yeah, and he never says something like "Harry Potter by La-La Land would be sooo cool!" He knows it's happening. In his recent posts he just elucidates technical details about the sources, the licenses, etc. Moreover he always ignores suspecting posts like this.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I just meant that I don't find the OST's sound quality particularly spectacular.

It's the score that redeemed Shawn Murphy as a Williams engineer.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think every Williams score even to this day is still recorded both analogue and digital.  Or maybe they finally switched to digital only after all his 2005 scores, I don't remember

Maybe it depends on the recording venue. It's doubtless expensive to upgrade all the equipment to be capable of recording at 32/192.

Without knowing what resolution the digital masters of the prequels were capped at (16/48?), it's hard to determine if that's the only factor for why the new analogue scans are so superior to the original OST masters. Maybe it's just improved mixing? Either way, I'll be thrilled if any future Potter expansions have a SQ upgrade close to that of the prequel remasters (even if I think the Potter OSTs sound perfectly fine... but that MM is a genius!)

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Maybe it depends on the recording venue. It's doubtless expensive to upgrade all the equipment to be capable of recording at 32/192.

Are you joking? My windows laptop can record at higher resolution than that.

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Without knowing what resolution the digital masters of the prequels were capped at (16/48?), it's hard to determine if that's the only factor for why the new analogue scans are so superior to the original OST masters. Maybe it's just improved mixing? Either way, I'll be thrilled if any future Potter expansions have a SQ upgrade close to that of the prequel remasters (even if I think the Potter OSTs sound perfectly fine... but that MM is a genius!)

I wish Shawn Murphy had revealed more details about his work on the Star Wars OST remasters. Maybe I should have tried to interview him. Oh well.

"So, what's the deal with A.I.? And all that hiss in Attack of the Clones?"

"Also, what are your thoughts on Disney's anti-male, feminist agenda in The Last Jedi?"

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Yeah, and he never says something like "Harry Potter by La-La Land would be sooo cool!" He knows it's happening. In his recent posts he just elucidates technical details about the sources, the licenses, etc. Moreover he always ignores suspecting posts like this.

His silence speaks volumes...  When I posted about the 6 or 10-disc set LLL is supposedly releasing this year per their FB post back in Feb, he was quick to shoot down my IJ theory but said nothing about HP...  hmmmm... ;)

image.jpeg

A Potter trilogy set doesn't fit into this slate.

October 30: Superman 2/3, 5 Blake Neely titles, and Electric Dreams

November 13: 3 CD set, 1 CD and maybe a 3rd title

November 27: Black Friday batch (announced on Nov 23). Thus far, 2 titles are signed off on...2 or 3 more to come.

Keeping in mind that Superman and Schindler's List are probably in that mix. 

Of course, I'm assuming a "title" means a single film. I don't think a trilogy of scores would be referred to as a single title. 

Why? It doesn't say how big those 2-5 Black Friday sets are. The Nov 13 3CD could still be Azkaban, and the 3rd title could be anything.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Are you joking? My windows laptop can record at higher resolution than that.

But your laptop is a single, relatively inexpensive device that can easily be replaced. A full studio setup that's bleeding edge when new will probably be used for quite some time before it is replaced, at which point it might not be quite state of the art anymore.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But your laptop is a single, relatively inexpensive device that can easily be replaced. A full studio setup that's bleeding edge when new will probably be used for quite some time before it is replaced, at which point it might not be quite state of the art anymore.

Indeed! Inexplicable comment by Jason. 

Not really.  It's expensive to upgrade a recording studio for a plethora of reasons, but recording in 32/192 instead of 24/48 isn't one of those reasons.