"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

10 hours ago, Jay said:

There's a thread in this forum containing every single cue in the entire score restored to picture.

Here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27259-remixed-restored-jurassic-park/

Thanks for that! I've been searching for that for quite some time :)

On 10/22/2018 at 12:38 AM, Arpy said:

Anyone remember the HP7 collector's OST with all the extra crap like sheet music etc.? 

Well I don't because I couldn't afford it back in 2010. :(

I got it!

I've listened to it probably a dozen times and I still have zero affection for it.  Usually some form of Stockholm Syndrome will set in after that many tries to like something, but nope.

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I've listened to it probably a dozen times and I still have zero affection for it.  Usually some form of Stockholm Syndrome will set in after that many tries to like something, but nope.

It has all the ingredients and language to be a really emotional score, but it severely lacks heart.

It always pissed me off that Hooper didn't bring back Fawkes the Phoenix in HBP. Such an obvious wasted opportunity for a musical climax centered on him.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a rights issue or something (yeah, I know, un-bloody-likely, especially considering the Azkaban Quidditch motif got referenced!)

Hooper did one of my least favorite soundtracks for the series (HP5) followed by a surprisingly interesting one in my opinion (HP6):

nothing fancy, I agree, but HP5 is quite dull in comparison. Maybe it's just me, but I find it quite boring. Anyway, as the films progressed 

all the scores started sounding way too generic, with those horrible blockbuster-y string ostinatos. Even if I don't like Doyle's HP soundtrack 

that much, at least he wrote some interesting and recognizable themes. If someone played a random action cue from HP5 or HP7 out

of context, and I were told it's taken from a Transformers score by Jablonsky, I probably would believe it.

Ok, maybe not, but you get my point.

I agree. I started getting into scores around 2007 when HP5 was on the way and I did listen to that one a lot, more than any other.
Now I realize that Hp was a musical waste. Hp 1 2 3 are amazing and the 1st one is a masterpiece and a strong settlement. Hp3 reached a peak both as a movie and as a score, this was for me the culmination point of the saga. Then comes Hp4...
The movie is bad, there s nothing as intimist as Hp3, characters are boring and everything is over the top. The music which has some nice parts completely feels non potter, sounds like something made for another movie.
Hp5 6: sound like tv movie scores, For blockbusters I dont understand why it lacks so much hearts

Hp7 8 sound like something has been attempted at least, you got to get into the core to enjoy them, im only enjoying them now and Im happy Hooper got evicted from the saga, but what s done is done, now thankfully Newton Howard is in charge.

1 3 2 8 7 4 6 5 is how i would rank the scores

1 minute ago, Orgasm[+]Donor. said:

I agree. I started getting into scores around 2007 when HP5 was on the way and I did listen to that one a lot, more than any other.
Now I realize that Hp was a musical waste. Hp 1 2 3 are amazing and the 1st one is a masterpiece and a strong settlement. Hp3 reached a peak both as a movie and as a score, this was for me the culmination point of the saga. Then comes Hp4...
The movie is bad, there s nothing as intimist as Hp3, characters are boring and everything is over the top. The music which has some nice parts completely feels non potter, sounds like something made for another movie.
Hp5 6: sound like tv movie scores, For blockbusters I dont understand why it lacks so much hearts

Hp7 8 sound like something has been attempted at least, you got to get into the core to enjoy them, im only enjoying them now and Im happy Hooper got evicted from the saga, but what s done is done, now thankfully Newton Howard is in charge.

1 3 2 8 7 4 6 5 is how i would rank the scores

Spot on. Love your profile pic by the way :D what the f**k is Tantric?

I disagree with all of you on Goblet of Fire, it's my second favorite film in the series behind Prisoner of Azkaban.

Hooper and Desplat get shit for their scores but they work well for the films they're written for - I honestly think that any composer might've been restricted by what they could do with Yates' films. JNH's Fantastic Beasts sounds like it was tamed and reeled in a bit to fit these incredibly glum/grim/dark looking films.

I think hooper's scores are better than Doyle and Desplat

So Dracula was the last remaining non blockbbuster/franchise Williams holy grail

All we need is the Williams Potter box and we'll be set

Unpopular opinion: I love the Half-Blood Prince score. I'll agree Order of the Phoenix was bland, but HP6 has a great score I think. Honestly I like and appreciate almost all of them for different reasons. My score order (which I'm sure is bonkers from the views of some. lol)

1, 3, 2, 7, 6, 4........8.....................................5

If ever there were a complete box set of all of them...I'd buy it.

The HBP score is not bad. Some tracks are really lovely (Hermione conjuring birds and Ginny kissing Harry), and the crescendo leading to the deafening silence when Snape kills Dumbledore still gives me goosebumps.

If I were to rank the HP scores, I would probably order them like this:

1–3 (tied, Azkaban could be #1 but Philosopher's Stone has more themes; HP3 it's still a gorgeous score, with great variety of sounds)

2 (way too many recycled tracks, making the second movie like a carbon copy of the first, but still an incredible composition)

6 (not a masterpiece, but it gives HP6 a pretty nice atmosphere, and it's certainly a better work by Hooper if compared to HP5)
4 (not a fan of the orchestration in this one, but it has a lot of memorable themes, so it works better than my least favorite scores for HP)
7 (some ideas are interesting, but it's starting to sound generic)
8 (way too blockbuster-y for my taste, still some good parts like the scene with the Grey Lady and Lily's Theme)
5 (dull, I couldn't think of a single reason to listen to this again. I'm not saying it's badly written, but I really find it boring as hell).

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Hooper's two jump constantly between really dull and really interesting. I came up with a playlist combining both scores with the best stuff.

Care to share this?  I might try it and see if I like those scores any better.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Doyle's has some really cool highlights. I actually enjoy the highlights more than bits of PoA. This one is unfairly given the brunt of the post-JW bashing.

That hasn't been my experience here.  Several people express adoration for Doyle's effort (including myself).

I disagree with you on POA of course, it's among my 10 favorite Williams scores probably.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

HP5 definitely has some lovely cues, but pretty weak on the whole.

Yeah it's funny. Fireworks is one of my favorite pieces from the series post JW, and it originated in Order of the Phoenix, but because it was reused in Half-Blood Prince...I find myself just listening to it in that context (specifically the end credits version without the guitar). Umbridges stuff is fine, as well as the Dumbledore's Army stuff, but all the rest is just totally unmemorable.

HP6 has far more interesting ideas, recurring motifs, etc. You've got In Noctem, Slughorn's material, there's some nice recurring ideas relating to Malfoy's Mission and the Death Eaters, even Drink of Despair shows up more than once and seems to be related to Dark Magic. I find myself coming back to it a lot. Not as much as 1, 2, 3, but definitely more than 4, 5 and 8. About the same as 7.

I definitely agree on Doyle. His score is good. It's not necessarily "Harry Potter" for me, but the music is legitimately good stuff. I have seen some not so kind words about his.

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

HP3 proves how satisfying it is to take sequel scores in new directions

But... It totally discards the legacy of 1 and 2! Doesn't sound any more Potter-like than 4-8.

I never caught on to HP-books, films, just barely with the Williams score and select excerpts of the others. As a neutral moviegoer, I actually found Fantastic Beasts to be much more at my level. I will nonetheless be happy for those who will be happy, that is if they get a complete release.

I read all the books, then when I saw the first HP at theater, I cried because I found the movie so well done.

But I slept for all the other ones. :P

I liked Fantastic Beasts, I found it "cute".

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Don't write Chamber of Secrets off for the rehashing, Williams wrote some amazing themes for the film, alongside a busy scoring year no less. What godly being other than Williams could write Fawkes' Theme, Across the Stars, Catch Me If You Can and Minority Report in the same year? 

Those are great themes you mentioned, you're absolutely right. JW did a great job in CoS, I guess it's just the way new scenes and known music are put together that reminds me way too much about the first movie, but the score is incredible. HP3 is a weird entry: I initially loved its soundtrack way more than the previous ones, but now I think it's a pity almost all the old themes were discarded. So even if HP3 is one of my favorite scores, I think it would've been perfect if it kept (or hinted at) some of the old themes. HP1 is the perfect one in my opinion; as for HP2, it has great new themes, but the rest (not the themes, but the cue structure) is quite similar to HP1. Don't get me wrong, it's good to reuse old material in a sequel (especially with such good material!), and I love some of the variations, but when I choose between the first two, I always prefer to listen to HP1. :D