"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

Sometimes it's especially the underscore that's interesting.

For example, the stuff I like most about Star Trek: The Motion Picture are the (occasionally more or less) droning, ambient cues from "Meet V'Ger" to "V'Ger Speaks".

I don't particularly care for the main themes.

45 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Aw, man, I eat that stuff up! I love those piccolo tears that Williams loves to throw in his scores, and the compy music is one of his effective applications of it.

This dude's on the level, hep to the jive!

My only qualm is preferring the OST's cue title The Compys Dine. 

TLW is top 5 Williams for me, competes with Hook now and then as my very favorite.

10 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

JP's complete score also gets tedious with the carnivore motif blasting over and over and over...

Take out the weird LP issue, and the old album's perfect.

Woah, woah.

Suddenly no one wants anything beyond the OST, after years of complaining that nothing had leaked?

I've had trouble getting used to the chrono ordering, but not in a million years would I remove any tracks.

I'm with you guys on the shrieking instrument in the Compy scenes. It's so unmusical and actually a pretty unimaginative way of scoring the scene. I lost a tiny bit of material when I put the film version of Ripples in place of whatever LLL cue it is, and I don't care at all.

I know! It's wacky!

I mean, I myself wasn't really begging for it, but I always figured JP complete would be cool to have. Lost World complete? Nah, I like the album, don't need to hear more. 

Then the complete score came out for both and it was quickly realized "I guess mister Williams got the cue selections right the first time for JP...". And of course, technically being right for Lost World's OST selections, since any highlights added wouldn't have fit on one disc. I love the entire score from start to finish, but the OST is a satisfying shorter playlist as well (save putting The Stegosaurus near the end, weirdly enough). 

Which is to say, the outcome was the reverse of my expectations.

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What's so difficult about removing that end credits redundancy and making your own playlist/CD? You managed to do it years ago, back when you had absolutely no technical know-how!

Fixed.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I assure ya'll that this only applies to JP. I would never remove a single cue from TLW and only return to the ost when in the mood for something shorter.

Plus, I love TLW's ost packaging. I know, I'm the only one that does.

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

I had no idea it had that when buying the OST with my allowance money back when I was a wee lad. It was such a joyous bonus surprise!

I secretly loved it. Everyone said it was awful 

14 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

The Basic Instinct OST should have included a Sharon Stone blow-up doll! 

Nah. Everyone's seen what they wanted to see, but Jeanie Tripplehorn is rather sultry.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Dinorama!

Dino...rama, rama?

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

My DVD came with an ice pick pen. With red ink.

Ha! I remember getting that DVD as well. That ice-pick pen was a ripoff; didn't even last a couple of days before it ran out of ink

18 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Spielberg obviously didn't give a shit about TLW since he didn't even bother writing a note like he often does.

His words of fluff wouldn't fit with the diorama, now that's much too much.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

JW: And then they can open the wee little gates and they can park their little toy cars next to the dinsosaurs and they can knock it over and... oooh, they can use the disc as a helipad to recreate the scenes from the film...

"Remembering Dinorama Lane"

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

Anyone remember the HP7 collector's OST with all the extra crap like sheet music etc.? 

Well I don't because I couldn't afford it back in 2010. :(

Yeah, I do, I actually asked it for Christmas back then...

7 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Spielberg obviously didn't give a shit about TLW since he didn't even bother writing a note like he often does.

That's weird: Spielberg said multiple times he prefers the score for TLW to the JP one.

I remember 'cause I personally disagree: I think TLW has great themes, but I found its score

redundant and somewhat boring. Someone here said the JP soundtrack is repetitive, but TLW

is like 80% percussions, especially the expanded version: which is great, but I honestly couldn't

listen to it more than once. 

As for the OST versions, I like the way JW merged some cues, but in the JP OST

the main theme is literally everywhere, which is annoying: I find the expanded

chronological version way more enjoyable.

JP is a score where I think you could put on the entire score and still have it be a good listening experience because his suites bring together related material. Maybe combine You Bred Raptors/System Ready/Race To The Dock/The Saboteur as a kind of 'antagonist' suite, rearrange the anniversary set to fix the stupid double-LP structure, and add that extra suite.

Although you lose the film ending to Incident which would drive my completist side crazy....

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Just because TLW consists mostly of percussion cues, doesn't mean it's redundant.

The absence of the Jurassic Park theme on the complete score presentation is quite pleasant.

I didn't want to say it actually is redundant: it's just how I feel about it, but it's still a great and complex score.

Speaking of JP: I always wondered how the first T-Rex paddock scene would've sounded like

with the cue JW originally composed for it (Goat Bait), so I tried to edit them together.
I can see why they chose to avoid music: leaving just the nature sounds makes

the scene way more terrifying. But this is still cool to see/hear.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Film Score Monthly did that ages ago.

Didn't know that, sorry. Tried to search for a video before deciding to edit one myself,

but I didn't find it anywhere. 

Perhaps LLL was referring to Varese! :)

18 minutes ago, redishere said:

Speaking of JP: I always wondered how the first T-Rex paddock scene would've sounded like

with the cue JW originally composed for it (Goat Bait), so I tried to edit them together.

Interesting!

3 hours ago, redishere said:

There's a thread in this forum containing every single cue in the entire score restored to picture.

Here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27259-remixed-restored-jurassic-park/

23 hours ago, Arpy said:

Anyone remember the HP7 collector's OST with all the extra crap like sheet music etc.? 

Well I don't because I couldn't afford it back in 2010. :(

I got it for something like €15 in an Amazon sale.

23 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Ha! I remember getting that DVD as well. That ice-pick pen was a ripoff; didn't even last a couple of days before it ran out of ink

I never used it. But the DVD case had no label on the spine, and it always fell half apart when opening or closing it.