RIP Jóhann Jóhannsson (1969-2018)

crocodile

Here. More info here.

It is with profound sadness that we confirm the passing of our dear friend Jóhann. We have lost one of the most talented and brilliant people who we had the privilege of knowing and working with. May his music continue to inspire us.

– Redbird Music Management

:(

Karol

Makes me wonder... Maybe there was more to that whole Blade Runner replacement than just "creative differences". I'm speculating, of course. It doesn't matter anyway...

It's really sad. Very talented and unique voice. I really liked his Sicario score.

Karol

Too soon. Too young.

He was just starting to spread his wings too, in film music at least. He was on his way to really make his mark in that realm.

Shame to see another unique voice gone.

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Makes me wonder... Maybe there was more to that whole Blade Runner replacement than just "creative differences". I'm speculating, of course.

He has been sort of "radio-silent" on Facebook since the Blade Runner news (aside from the occasional review/concert and whatnot). I might imagine that the last year has been a hard one for him.

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

What was this?  Which statement?

His agency announced his death on Facebook. The other news outlets are only picking up this news now from that.

8 minutes ago, KK said:

His agency announced his death on Facebook. The other news outlets are only picking up this news now from that.

No, I know that. I'm talking about the suggestion that BR 2049 break being about more than "creative differences."

Oh wow. Shocking. I'll admit I haven't listened to much of his work, but The Theory of Everything really was beautiful. And I expected he'd have many more years of composing ahead of him. :(

Very sad news to hear... I still have yet to hear most of his work, but I have listened to his scores for Arrival and The Theory of Everything, both of which I enjoyed very much. He will surely be missed.

Odd to see so much speculation on his recent career when the cause of death is not even known, but alas, it is JWFan.

Shocked to see this news in passing on my Facebook feed. I loved what he did with Sicario and Arrival, and was disappointed to hear when Zimmer and Wallfisch took over on Blade Runner 2049. RIP. 

Whoa, WTH? Makes his scores for Blade Runner 2049, and Mother being scrapped, even more disappointing now. This is such sad news too. His score for Sicario is very unnerving, and he could have had a long career ahead of himself. 49 is way too young. 

It was stated that he was found dead after being report missing for a couple days. This was probably a sudden event. Maybe an unexpected medical issue, suicide, or someone broke into his apartment? This is very sad and I hope there is closure soon.

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Whoa, WTH? Makes his scores for Blade Runner 2049, and Mother being scrapped, even more disappointing now. This is such sad news too. His score for Sicario is very unnerving, and he could have had a long career ahead of himself. Sign...

Yes, its awful he died so soon which means we won't get more music....

Sigh...

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

it's tragic when young people die..

I get that this is a young age to die at, but 49-year-olds are young people now?

Thought I had misread the headline when I saw it on Reddit earlier.

He made an impressive mark in just a few years of Hollywood scoring. Definitely someone I was looking forward to hearing more from. 48, tragic thing all-around. Best I can hope for is that he had been feeling good lately physically/mentally.

I'm truly sorry, and sad to read of this. I bought THE MERCY last week. I guess I'll not listen to it in the same way, again...

I thought that ARRIVAL was a fine score, and I'd looked forward to BR2049.

I've no wish to sound selfish, nor morbid, but perhaps we'll now get to hear his unused 2049 score (what there is of it)?

RIP Mr. Jóhannsson; the world of film music has lost a truly original voice.

Goddamn man, only 48 :( 

I think there is a clip floating around the internet of him playing his BR2049 theme, for those interested. He just started to get bigger projects and really make a name for himself along Denis Villeneuve. Sad to hear this. RIP.

8 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Never heard of him.

Thankfully everyone rightly ignored your tone deaf cry for attention, but I will say that you would’ve sooner or later. He was a very unique and talented composer and had the potential to reach the status of the greats.

1 hour ago, p0llux said:

RIP. I was looking forward to his score to Dune if Denis Villeneuve wanted to work with him again.

That reminds me, did Villeneuve already respond? JJ was like John Williams is to Spielberg, right?