RIP Jóhann Jóhannsson (1969-2018)

crocodile

12 hours ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Goddamn man, only 48 :( 

I think there is a clip floating around the internet of him playing his BR2049 theme, for those interested. He just started to get bigger projects and really make a name for himself along Denis Villeneuve. Sad to hear this. RIP.

I've managed to find two cues from his 2049 score.

It's slow, and sounds more like Vangelis, as opposed to what was heard, in the film. Or perhaps, think of the beginning of MOJAVE PLAN, or WHITE EAGLE.

A 2049 scored by Jóhansson would have sounded very interesting, indeed.

23 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The excuse was JJ was let go because they needed a Vangelis sound.

But it sounded more Vangelis than Zimmer & Wallfish? 

Perhaps it was an excuse? If JJ became sick and was unable to finish the score. Who knows?

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That reminds me, did Villeneuve already respond? JJ was like John Williams is to Spielberg, right?

Villeneuve has made 10 movies and Johannsson scored 3 of them plus whatever work they did on BR2049. Not exactly Spielberg/Williams but they'd obviously established a collaboration.

I haven't seen a statement from Villeneuve yet. I'm sure he'll be asked about it sooner or later.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Perhaps it was an excuse? If JJ became sick and was unable to finish the score. Who knows?

Perhaps. He made only a score for a Hungarian film last year. However, honestly, if this were the case, there would be no reason to raise the flag that he was fired. It would be easier to make it clear that he walked away from the films to deal with personal matters.

1 hour ago, James said:

Perhaps. He made only a score for a Hungarian film last year. However, honestly, if this were the case, there would be no reason to raise the flag that he was fired. It would be easier to make it clear that he walked away from the films to deal with personal matters.

Exactly - you don't need an 'excuse' for personal/health matters. You only need to do that for more awkward situations, i.e. the studio wants Zimmer.

It took me a few moments to process his name in the thread title and realise who it was. Not a composer I followed, but still very sad to lose a composer at the start of their prime :(

Wow, crazy news.  I wasn't super into his work; I listened to the OST albums for Sicario and Arrival and liked them both, but never was compelled to revisit.  Both scores work great in the respective films, too (Enemy as well).  It always seemed like he was on the verge of having a big breakthrough and becoming more mainstream.  Bummer!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It always seemed like he was on the verge of having a big breakthrough and becoming more mainstream.

I think that was supposed to be Blade Runner. :(

23 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I think that was supposed to be Blade Runner. :(

Agreed, it could have been.

Alas, I think his style could have evolved into something even more interesting. In respect I have listened to Arrival again, and out of pragmatism I have deleted tracks that don't grab me, so that I have a playlist that I'm more likely to listen to again, for there is lots of interesting music there.

As Berlin authorities attempt to determine a cause of death, colleagues mourn the passing of the 48-year-old composer, who was about to embark on his biggest film project yet — Disney’s 'Christopher Robin.'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johann-johannssons-death-leaves-friends-shocked-questions-unanswered-1084815

• 5 months later...

Well, it's good to finally have it confirmed to avoid all the speculation.

I met and chatted with Jóhannsson at a party in Berlin exactly one year before his death, and he seemed fine then. But it's not always easy to notice such things, of course.

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

What? That would be cruel to Johannsson.

Johannsson doesn't care, he's dead. The dead don't hear, the dead don't see, and they certainly don't give a flying one about a comment on a composer fan site.