FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: The Complete Recordings - RE-ISSUE now available (3CD/1BD or 5LP)

Jay

Lately, I find myself listening to the fan credits, a lot. In the case of Fellowship especially, its a brilliant summary of the thematic material of the film, in the order of the film.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Lately, I find myself listening to the fan credits, a lot. In the case of Fellowship especially, its a brilliant summary of the thematic material of the film, in the order of the film.

I'll do the same occasionally, and in fact I simply tacked the fan credits on at the end of each respective CR in iTunes. 

Pity that they couldn't include the cowbell-heavy version of "Khazad-Dûm". Maybe if I keep sending letters to Warner Bros. and Shore's office, they will relent eventually and put out a second Rarities CD. Y'know, for said cowbell version...and the complete "Breaking of the Fellowship", which vexes (yes, vexes!) me to no end.

- - - - 

Kidding aside, I acknowledge that adding or changing the 2005 CR set-up might have been both logistically and legally difficult, if not completely impossible (or considered unnecessary by the higher-ups). I am very happy for all those out there - and they aren't few in numbers - who have been waiting for many a year to go after a normal-priced re-release of the CRs. Since I didn't/don't have a set-up to make use of the high-rez audio on the DVD or Blu-Ray, there's no incentive for me to go after it, though (and no, having a flat spine to fit in with T2T and RotK is not enough of a reason!). As for the vinyls...I don't get the hype at all, but will admit they look extremely beautiful.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'm not STEEPED in film score lore, but isn't it the first ever score cue played completely by cowbell?  It's definitely unique!

The whole score isn't played by cowbell, just certain moovements.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm confused. Are they re-releasing the CD complete recordings as well? Like the ones already released? 

This one?

I put the track list right in the main post so nobody would be confused....

20 hours ago, Quintus said:

Managed to find the cowbell version on YouTube. It was surprised good, and no I hadn't heard it before. 

The cowbells. Cowbells in the deep!

How do you know that isn't just a picture of the Reprise edition?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, Amazon's entry for the set is where he got it from

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079PTDW74

You can see the Blu Ray logo on disc 4 there, too.

I'm a bit surprised they're doing another run with the same packaging. I remember Doug pointing out that the complexity of the box meant that repressing was a different beast to just repressing your regular soundtrack. Someone, somewhere has decided it's worth it.

I would have absolutely assumed they'd reissue it in thinner packaging if not just a clam shell jewel case.  

The music is what matters, regardless.  I wonder if they will announce a digital download/streaming version before release date or wait until after.

I reckon that it might happen. I bet the only reason the first two never were released that way is because it was slightly before the digital music era craziness. By the time they got to ROTK they started catching up. And I bet they wouldn't want to miss out on digital sales this time.

EDIT: Oh, Jay already alluded to that earlier anyway.

Karol

23 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

What are the chances of this having a digital release on iTunes?

On 2/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, Jay said:

I am fairly certain this will get a digital release as well, meaning not only will people be able to just buy it electronically, it might also be streamable on Spotify / Apple Music / Google Play and the like

If only Rhino would have put out a press release before websites started listing it for sale....

On 2/13/2018 at 3:12 PM, Jay said:

It's 2018, how can it not?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder if they will announce a digital download/streaming version before release date or wait until after.

22 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I reckon that it might happen. I bet the only reason the first two never were released that way is because it was slightly before the digital music era craziness. By the time they got to ROTK they started catching up. And I bet they wouldn't want to miss out on digital sales this time.

EDIT: Oh, Jay already alluded to that earlier anyway.

Karol

Yeah, Doug confirmed that thinking last year in one of the other LotR threads. 2006/2007 must've been a point where digital music was taking off. I bought my first one probably around 2008.

If Rhino would let people know now if a digital release was happening or not, people wouldn't have to order one of the physicals versions now, then remember to cancel it when the digital is announced if that is their preferred music-buying method.  But maybe that's what they want.

Some may choose digital over physical or vice versa based on price as well, so a digital price would be nice to know .

Basically: All information is always good.

I'm sure a press release is forthcoming.  The early announcement isn't Rhino's fault.  Amazon listings always blab this stuff, especially when there isn't something like Disney/Star Wars holding their feet to the fire to not reveal things before a certain date - and even then, it doesn't really work well, as we found with TFA's score.

Also found this nugget from Doug from back in the day (about half-way down the page):

Posted:  Sep 17, 2005 - 4:43 AM    

By:  Doug Adams   (Member)

Hi guys,

I’m pressed for time today, so I’ll just add a few, very brief notes if I may.

1) Yup. Though he’s being polite, the fact of the matter is that Dan Goldwasser beat me to the punch announcing a project I’ve been bouncing around for the past five years. There’s no way around it. Hail to the king! :)

2) The DVD contains the full Fellowship score in 5.1 sound. As far as I’ve been told, that’s all it contains. Why? What’s the point? Because it sounds incredible! It adds very little to the overall cost of the set, so why not add it? Now, I have to admit that a few months ago I’d have said, “Eh, I’m sure it sounds good, but a good 2 channel mix is fine by me.” I was shocked at how much fuller the 5.1 sounded on good speakers, and I think you will be too. The audiophiles among you will be thrilled, and the rest of you should consider converting! 

3) Why is this called a “boxed set” if it only contains one score? It comes in a box. A small box. "Square cardboard-based packaging set" looks weird on a press release. Really, though, it contains several items, so it’s a box. Nothing more complicated than that.

4) What’s the point of a complete release? Again, it’s absolutely fine to have a differing opinion and claim that this release is superfluous. I don’t agree, but that doesn’t bother me. I think of it this way, some people like listening to Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite as a pearl of orchestral color and fancy, some prefer the complete Firebird as a masterpiece of narrative development and linear flexibility. I'm in the second category. But, when you come to, say, The Nutcracker, I think the pieces left out of the Suite deserve to be left out. They don’t match, tonally, what the Suite establishes. So, who’s right? No one. / Everyone. I mean, it’s an aesthetic argument, and essentially without a winner. I happen to feel that, in the case of Lord of the Rings, the only way to hear Shore’s intentions is to hear the full score. But, it’s not as if I’m unbiased, right? Either way, I think it’s great that we now have the choice. Again, not trying to draw out an argument, because I really don’t think there’s one to be had. So that’s all I’ll say about that. I hope everyone here is in the practice of respecting opposing viewpoints.

5) Ok, this is a biggie. Please understand, there is no future all-encompassing hernia-inducing 17-and-a-half disc boxed set coming out after this. This is the ultimate release of Fellowship. It will be followed by the ultimate release of Two Towers and the ultimate release of Return of the King. Oh, and I guess there’s a book sandwiched in there somewhere. (Cough, cough…) But that’s it. There’s absolutely no plan to bilk the costumer at a later date.

Ok, I’ve got to run right now. Again, I’m happy to answer more questions when time provides, either email or the board is fine.

As always, thanks for your patience, everyone. And get ready for what I personally feel will be an amazing release.

-Doug Adams

Wow, you're absolutely right @Kühni, I completely apologize!

For some reason, I had it in my head that FOTR CR was 2007, TTT 2008, and ROTK CR 2009, but no, it was 2005 / 2006 / 2007, then the book & RA in 2010.  Dunno how I messed that up.  Apologies!

In other news, Amazon has updated both pages (3CD/BD and 5LP) to indicate the release date is now Friday April 6th instead of Friday March 30th.  D'oh!

By then, it'd make more sense to wait out 2021 and bring them out on the 20th anniversary of their respective movies! Or better yet, on the anniversaries of the original CRs!

I really don't think it would be US-only, you'll probably be able to order it from Amazon UK, too, at the very least, if not DE.

Back in the day, I ordered FotR CR from Amazon.co.uk, T2T CR through a friend in Georgia and RotK, which had major availability issues from the get-go, came through a friend in Louisiana.

@Jay It's all good. I keep tabs on when I purchased/acquired new CDs, although with LotR, I have that stuff memorised. FotR: 04-12-2001, T2T 04-01-2003, RotK 17-12-2003, FotR CR: 22-12-2005, T2T CR: 28-12-2006, RotK CR 11-01-2008 and the Rarities 18-10-2010. :tmi: