FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: The Complete Recordings - RE-ISSUE now available (3CD/1BD or 5LP)

Jay

41 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Limited to 5000 copies?!!!

The vinyl release I suppose.

Does anyone who already owns the existing set plan on buying the new editions, in either format?

I wouldn't double dip just to get the Blu-Ray, but that vinyl set looks tempting.

I don't listen to Blu-ray audio by itself and I don't collect records. The first thing I would do to either is rip to digital for my iPod. This set should be enjoyed by those who do not own the first. There is merit to selling my old set just for the privilege of an upgrade, but that's too much work. 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Excue me, but I'm a bit confused, why does this thread say April and the Amazon UK page say 16 March?

If you click the links I put in the  main post of this thread (the Amazon US entries),  Amazon US clearly says April 6th.

I couldn't possibly tell you why Amazon UK says March 16th;  the official press release clearly says April 6th as well *shrug*

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Once again, wouldn't it be nice if Rhino actually put out a proper press release to inform us about this release instead of all the confusion we've gone through over the past weeks?

56 minutes ago, mstrox said:

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Right, its not a remaster or an update of any kind, just a reissue on different medium.

Wouldn't it  lossless? or not?

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

The press release was in Doug Adams' tweet that I posted on the last page.

41 minutes ago, Fal said:

Wouldn't it  lossless? or not?

If all you had was a normal DVD player, if you put the old DVD that came with the old CR sets in, you'd only be able to play the lossy Dolby 5.1 audio on the disc's DVD-Video layer.  If you had a DVD-Audio player, though, you could play the higher res DVD-Audio available on the DVD-Audio layer.  If that track was lossy or lossless compared to their master I cannot recall, but if it is, then yes, potentially the new BD would present it in lossless DTS-MA or Doly TrueHD I suppose.  Didn't think of that (makes sense since DVD-Audio held what, 8 gigs and a single layer blu ray holds what, 25 gigs?)

4 hours ago, Jay said:

If all you had was a normal DVD player, if you put the old DVD that came with the old CR sets in, you'd only be able to play the lossy Dolby 5.1 audio on the disc's DVD-Video layer.  If you had a DVD-Audio player, though, you could play the higher res DVD-Audio available on the DVD-Audio layer.  If that track was lossy or lossless compared to their master I cannot recall, but if it is, then yes, potentially the new BD would present it in lossless DTS-MA or Doly TrueHD I suppose.  Didn't think of that (makes sense since DVD-Audio held what, 8 gigs and a single layer blu ray holds what, 25 gigs?)

Yeah, I don't know if the DVD-A was lossless, so I suppose the possibility is there that the BD could be a genuine upgrade (I still wouldn't buy it though).  And as you said previously, a lot more people have BD players than DVD-A players back in the day, so at a minimum it would make the high res score a lot more accessible even if it was just a direct port from the previous version.

14 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm wrestling with the idea. I have all the CD versions except TTT and am considering getting them all on Vinyl. I'm definitely getting TTT on CD to complete my set.

Exact same setup here. I will absolutely buy the vinyls, and TTT CD. Just need to wait for payday, in the next couple of weeks......... ;)

Is the DVD/BR audio noticeably better than the normal CD audio? I ask because I'm not an audiophile, quite content with mp3s of my favorite music, and have hearing problems. Just curious what other's opinions are.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to listening qualities etc. I've always wondered why the score is on 4 separate discs and then they give you the whole score on one disc in the same pack. As Treebeard says "that doesn't make sense to me."

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to listening qualities etc. I've always wondered why the score is on 4 separate discs and then they give you the whole score on one disc in the same pack. As Treebeard says "that doesn't make sense to me."

Because that one disc is a DVD and holds a lot more information than the 4 other discs which are regular CDs.

You seriously don’t understand this?

16 hours ago, Jay said:

If you had a DVD-Audio player, though, you could play the higher res DVD-Audio available on the DVD-Audio layer.  If that track was lossy or lossless compared to their master I cannot recall

The DVD-Audio Advanced Resolution Audio tracks are lossless.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I do, but I don't see the point. Why have two versions? Just have one. If the sound quality is better on one version, then why include the other which isn't as good? 

Because if they were just selling a DVD-Audio disc (or just a Blu-ray), people (including me) wouldn't have bought it?  CD quality is great, DVD-Audio is overkill, and CDs are usable in literally every player including car, work computer, home stereo, etc.

6 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

It makes complete and total sense and I don't really understand how you've managed to confuse yourself about it.

The score is presented on standard CD format so it can be played by anyone in their computer, home stereo system, portable CD player, car CD player, etc etc etc etc.  This is standard CD quality as has existed since the 80s - 16 bit  / 44.1khz, maximum of about 80 minutes per disc, etc.

Then, they present the score again on DVD-Audio format, so those who have the capabilities can hear the score in a higher quality format.  The full lossless DVD-Audio track is 24 bit / 48khz, not to mention the DVD provides the opportunity to listen to the score in a 5.1 mix, not just the stereo mix presented on the redbook CDs.

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

It makes complete and total sense and I don't really understand how you've managed to confuse yourself about it.

The score is presented on standard CD format so it can be played by anyone in their computer, home stereo system, portable CD player, car CD player, etc etc etc etc.  This is standard CD quality as has existed since the 80s - 16 bit  / 44.1khz, maximum of about 80 minutes per disc, etc.

Then, they present the score again on DVD-Audio format, so those who have the capabilities can hear the score in a higher quality format.  The full lossless DVD-Audio track is 24 bit / 48khz, not to mention the DVD provides the opportunity to listen to the score in a 5.1 mix, not just the stereo mix presented on the redbook CDs.

Thanks for explaining it to me.

Honestly I know absolute zero about audio formats or anything concerning it. I'm not being intentionally stupid, it's just a subject I have no interest in in-general so I have never understood it. Of course now that I am going to buy something, I need to know, and so thank you for giving me a little information. Although it may seem ridiculous that I don't know, but some people just don't even know the basics of certain subject that they have no investment in. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

... and the 5% who have the ears, equipment and listening environment (and know what to listen for) to be able to actually tell the difference.

- If I were to acquire the specific equipment, what would I need?

- If I were to construct a proper listening environment, what would that look like?

- What specifically should I know to listen for?

1 minute ago, Gollum Cat said:

- If I were to construct a proper listening environment, what would that look like?

If you don't know the answer to those questions already, you'll never be able to tell the difference anyway. ;)

One of those sound sytems with like twelve speakers, a living room the size of a cavern, soundproof paneling on the walls, a big comfy chair, and a cup full of microwaved hot dogs for a listening-snack.

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

If you don't know the answer to those questions already, you'll never be able to tell the difference anyway. ;)

I'm not counting on it, but I am trying to at least learn. I'm being serious in my questions.

5 minutes ago, Gollum Cat said:

Assuming you're talking about the 2018 Blu ray edition and not the 2007 DVD-A edition, you would need:

1) A Blu Ray player

2) A HDMI capable receiver

3) 2 speakers for the stereo mix, or 5 speakers and a subwoofer for the 5.1 mix

Doesn't really matter much, just a room where you can listen without distractions

I don't understand this question.  What do you mean?

It's not uncommon that box sets are released earlier in Europe, at least for classical music.

Holy shit, I see that the extended Fellowship is in 52nd place on the CDs & vinyl bestseller list on amazon.co.uk, regardless of genre! Hope they're making enough copies this time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B079PTDW74/ref=zg_bs_music_52?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D25MK6Z7YKGC4YBF4NPX

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Assuming you're talking about the 2018 Blu ray edition and not the 2007 DVD-A edition, you would need:

1) A Blu Ray player

2) A HDMI capable receiver

3) 2 speakers for the stereo mix, or 5 speakers and a subwoofer for the 5.1 mix

Doesn't really matter much, just a room where you can listen without distractions

I think he's asking about being able to discern high bit rate compressed audio from lossless.

To to start, you need almost perfect hearing and really good ears. :)  Then know what compression artefacts sound like and how to listen for them, and have good enough equipment, and a decent listening environment (not your car).  And most importantly, you have to care enough to go out of your way to recognise the almost minuscule differences you might find in some kinds of music.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well if there's better sound quality, is there something prominent about it that will sound better? Or is is more subtle than that?

I listened to the lossy 5.1 audio via the DVD-Video layer since I never had a DVD-Audio player, and the only difference I really noted was the surround mix over the stereo mix, IE, hearing the sound echoing behind you, etc.