FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: The Complete Recordings - RE-ISSUE now available (3CD/1BD or 5LP)

Jay

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I can't believe that vinyl sold out. It's just weird. Am I really one of the only ones who hasn't set up their turntable again?

I haven't even bought mine yet. I'm going to get a U-Turn Basic.

56 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It's probably just out of stock.  The press release didn't mention a super limited run.

It was limited to numbered 5000.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

5000 is a huge run when it comes to CDs.  I'd be very surprised if they've sold through 5000 copies on record.

I could be surprised though - I think the whole reversion to vinyl is idiocy!

I understand the impulse to have a such cool, big piece of pop art for something you love (like LOTR), but the astronomical prices that vinyl reissues get these days completely negates it for me.

Most vinyl comes with download codes and most soundtrack CDs I've bought in recent years I've never even listened to on CD, I just rip them immediately.  So there's no real difference for me between buying them other than cost!

To tell you the truth, @Jay, I'm a little mystified by your answer. Don't get me wrong; I'm mystified with you, I'm mystified that there is no difference in sound quality.

Is there no greater dynamic range, with the Blu discs, or extra "presence", maybe? A greater use of the rear speakers, perhaps? 

Richard, just scroll back a bit and read the thread you're posting in.

It's the identical master they created in 2007, just pressed to a different medium.  They didn't do any new work on the music.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, mstrox said:

It's probably just out of stock.  The press release didn't mention a super limited run.

Either way, glad that I don't like records!

They’re numbered, there were only 5,000.

EDIT: Oops, didn’t notice there was a next page where someone already answered. Sorry!

On 22/04/2018 at 3:33 AM, Jay said:

So the reissue is screwed up then? 

Will corrected discs be offered to those who purchased the faulty ones? 

What is this about the reissue being screwed up? I've read every page here and am still not getting it.
Are you telling me I just spent £64.99 on something I've waited over a decade to own only for it to be faulty?
Anything in layman's terms would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is the version disc 3 of FOTR for sale on HDTracks is actually a 16bit/48khz source up-converted to 24bit/48khz instead of the proper 24bit/48khz it is supposed to be (the other 2 discs are proper 24bit/48khz like they are supposed to be).

As of this post, the HDTracks page still lets us know it's messed up:

"Tracks 29-37 are encoded 48kHz/24bit files, but were analyzed and confirmed as 48kHz/16bit."

http://www.hdtracks.com/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-the-complete-recordings

We haven't definitively proved that this mistake is also present on the BD, the vinyl, and/or the 7digital / other online high-def retailer versions or not yet.

Right!  It SOUNDS completely fine.  It just isn't 24bit / 48khz like it is supposed to be for 1/3 of the release, certainly on HDTracks and POSSIBLY also on the BD, the vinyl, and the 7digital version (or any other online store that sells high def downloads that carries this).

Obviously the CD version is 16bit/44.1 throughout so is completely unaffected by this.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Right!  It SOUNDS completely fine.  It just isn't 24bit / 48khz like it is supposed to be for 1/3 of the release, certainly on HDTracks and POSSIBLY also on the BD, the vinyl, and the 7digital version (or any other online store that sells high def downloads that carries this).

Obviously the CD version is 16bit/44.1 throughout so is completely unaffected by this.

OH okay. I'm getting it now. Thanks so much for replying. I played the blu-ray on my PS4 for the first time yesterday and it sounded fine to me (though I'm not sure I'd notice a difference) but since I'm definitely going to be using the CDs a lot more, I think I can live with whatever possible fault there is either way. I'd still be interested in hearing confirmation of the blu-ray disc having the same issue as the HD downloads or not, but I don't think I'd be able to figure it out myself. Thanks again.

Very few people would have both the ears and the home audio equipment to able to hear the different between the original 24bit/48khz master and the 16bit/48khz downgrade they've sold us, yes.  The problem is more the false advertising and the fact that it is surely an unintentional mistake, than anything to do with defects anyone can actually hear.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't know about his orchestrational skills, but I would say that the proof is in the puddin', as it were. A lot (and I mean A LOT) has been said about the thematic material of the Middle Earth scores, but just as important is the thematic use of color and timbre. Each thematic family is associated not just with certain instruments from outside the orchestral palette (everything from tin whistle to gamelan), but also with certain timbres within the orchestra and orchestral arrangements. These colors can be used, in and of themselves, to suggest the thematic material without actually quoting it.

Even if we take just the brass section, when its shrill trumpets at the top of their voice, you know you're listening to Goblin material. When its growling in the low register of the horns and trombones, you know its orc material. When stopped and muted brass feature prominently, you know you're hearing Mordor material. When its rich and teneberous, you know you're listening to Dwarvish material, etcetra. And this is transformed across every section of the orchestra and all the choirs.

So, yeah, I would say the orchestrations are great, because they serve a narrative function, and do so very well.

3 hours ago, Kühni said:

First heard is Enya, a Celtic sound effective in movies as diverse as TITANIC, LAST OF THE MOHICANS, BRAVEHEART.

I thought about this recently, and I think The Lord of the Rings scores owe a great debt to those scores for bringing celtic music to the forefront of film music just as The Lord of the Rings was being made. I have no doubt that Shore would have gone the celtic route for the Hobbits anyway, but that it resonated with audiences as much as it did, really feeds into how fashionable celtic music became in film scores at the time.

You must have a short memory mate.  I think he's got a fine touch with the orchestra, and that was sarcasm based on some past arguments about the subject.

13 hours ago, TGP said:

You must have a short memory mate.  I think he's got a fine touch with the orchestra, and that was sarcasm based on some past arguments about the subject.

Chen taking everything seriously and incapable of noticing humour? Well I never!

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Chen taking everything seriously and incapable of noticing humour? Well I never!

Is it time to draw out the "I'm the only one with a none-Indo-European native language who's writing here" excuse?😉

You would be very wrong about that. And not only because that "e" does not belong at the end of that "none" :P

Hungarian is a very alien language in Middle-Europe, and not indo-european at all. It only has two direct relatives spoken by about 3 firewood-collecting great-grandmas in the Urals. By now it's diluted with a lot of Turkish and German words as a result of coexisting or being occupied by both of them for centuries, and has gone through a major revision campaign in the 1800s, but we can still understand the earliest remaining texts (a sentence form ~1050, a funeral speech from ~1100 and a poem from the 1200s) with only a minor vocabulary explanation, and  with the acceptance that the insane agglutination* only came into the language gradually.

*See: elkelkáposztásítottalanítottátok (popular example which mages no sense) and megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért (not a commonly used word, but there could theoretically be uses for it).

Szomorú is sad (fitting to be the one word to know), német means german, it's a pretty common surname (there were many Germans living here) and most people kept Németh in their surnames as the old spelling.

It's a nice city, but best in late summer when there's a big festival celebrating its Roman heritage.

• 1 month later...

No, the examples he listed are crossfaded on the CD but are on different sides of the vinyls.

They either faked clean endings, or went back to the elements and got real clean endings. Interesting question!

Faking them's not that hard, I have separated some cues more properly for my phone lostening version, but it would be a weird thing to do for an official release.

• 3 years later...