FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: The Complete Recordings - RE-ISSUE now available (3CD/1BD or 5LP)

Jay

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'd recommend a $50 CD boombox.  It's cheaper and it'll work just as well for most people.

And they've never replaced the classic boombox for a day on the beach!

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I pre-ordered the viny but yeesh, €175! I hope that the ore-order price comes down a bit and sterling collapses soon. 

WTF?  Why not just order it from Amazon US? That's what I'm doing, price is 108 USD, and with shipping & imports fees it comes to 138 USD, which is 100 GBP or around 110 Euro.

What an absolute joke. 145 pounds. Screw that. And I don't want to import it from the US because of import fees spiking it over 100 pounds and a risk of damage. I'm just getting TTT CD version and be happy that it completes my CD complete recordings collection. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B079PDFGZK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519377409&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=fellowship+of+the+ring+complete+recordings&dpPl=1&dpID=51EkQ7ULYNL&ref=plSrch 

4 hours ago, Richard said:

By "Advance Res. Surround", I assume that they mean DTS-MA 5.1 (or preferably 7.1)?

Otherwise it's no sale.

Crikey mate Jay has only explained this about a million times! ;)

None of the above?

The scores weren't recorded onto analog reels; They were recorded digitally onto hard drives.

And those 24/48 recordings were used to assemble a 24/48 master for each CR, that was then used to create the 24/48 DVD-A master and the redbook 16/441 CD master.

The vinyl would surely use the same stereo 24/48 master as the DVDA and BD use.

Nope, not at all.  The BD, DVD-A, and vinyl would all be mastered from the exact same 24/48 master.

The BD would be a true lossless representation of that master.

Vinyl is an analog medium, every record pressed is technically different from each other, and from the master.

9 minutes ago, Gollum Cat said:

Gotcha. So, the vinyls would be highest lossless quality known to man?

No, because they're vinyl.

:P

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Vinyl is an analog medium, every record pressed is technically different from each other and from the master.

Not to mention that the sound quality decreases the closer the groove is to the center of the LP, which is definitely noticeable.

Anyone else have the A.I. Artificial Intelligence DVD-A? How's that one in multi-channel?

On 23/02/2018 at 6:35 AM, Jay said:

Assuming you're talking about the 2018 Blu ray edition and not the 2007 DVD-A edition, you would need:

1) A Blu Ray player

2) A HDMI capable receiver

3) 2 speakers for the stereo mix, or 5 speakers and a subwoofer for the 5.1 mix

That's sort of bare basic for multi-channel. If a listener wants to step it up, they can acquire more powerful speakers and a multi-channel power amplifier, since AV receivers do a subpar job at amplifying music.

The listener might also want to invest in a player with multi-channel analog outputs (see Oppo), and a receiver or pre-amp that handles analog multi-channel input. Marantz puts out receivers capable of this, or get what I bought, which was the Parasound Halo P7.

What I'd like to know is whether they modified the 5.1 audio for this re-issue. I've heard people praising it to the skies, but honestly don't hear any groundbreaking difference between that mix and the stereo one. A bit fuller, maybe, but certainly not more details.

7 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

That's sort of bare basic for multi-channel. If a listener wants to step it up, they can acquire more powerful speakers and a multi-channel power amplifier, since AV receivers do a subpar job at amplifying music.

The listener might also want to invest in a player with multi-channel analog outputs (see Oppo), and a receiver or pre-amp that handles analog multi-channel input. Marantz puts out receivers capable of this, or get what I bought, which was the Parasound Halo P7.

How plebeian. Ideally one invites a chamber orchestra into one's home for an intimate performance in one's parlour. 

Keep your messy cables and pre amplification. 

And a SATB choir, and boy choir, and men choir (for moria), and a whole host of additional instrumentalists....

Even the live performances don't necessarily follow the exact instrumentation of the actual score: you've got multiple sections with two timpanists, that big o-daiko drum, added brass in Return of the King, etc...

12 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Which is to say nothing of a piece like Ironfoot.

I hope they release The Hobbit on vinyl - much as I am not a fan of The Hobbit in comparison to LOTR, Shore's worst parts are still magnificent compared to the stuff that comes out these days.

I find it amusing on a forum titled John Williams' Fans, that the man who is one of Williams' closest companions (Conrad Pope) is so derided, and for a none-Williams project, at that.

I have no issue with Pope orchestrating or conducting. Shore's sketches are very, very clear, and he also provides mock-ups and talked with Pope (and James Sizemore) in person and in video-chat throughout the production of the music. The real culprit is the album mix on The Battle of the Five Armies. If I didn't know any better going in, I wouldn't have noticed that Shore wasn't the one to orchestrate and conduct The Desolation of Smaug.

The change of orchestra is a bit more pronounced, but gratefuly fits the music and the story being told like a glove. I doubt they will have hit upon the idea of using the Gamelan and other plethora of asian instruments (which was a stroke of genius) had they not produced the music in New Zealand.

In an attempt (doomed to fail, but still) to keep this discussion on topic, lets not forget that the NZSO is behind some of the very best (and the very earliest) of Shore's music for The Lord of the Rings.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I doubt they will have hit upon the idea of using the Gamelan and other plethora of asian instruments (which was a stroke of genius) had they not produced the music in New Zealand.

What?  Why?

Gamelan's a big thing in New Zealand, given its geographic location.

I'm quite certain that kind of thinking went into it. a bit like the Maori choir (another stroke of genius) in Fellowship of the Ring.

Oh sure, that was what Peter Jackson requested.

But there are a lot of ways to evoke an eastern flavor. That instead of a Duduk or Erhu they went for Gamelan (along with a multitude of eastern instruments that the Wellington Gamelan Orchestra has in their storage) to me smacks of Jackson, Shore and the orchestrators going "well, we have a lot of Gamelan orchestras in New Zealand, lets use that!"

I think its an inspired choice. Its not just a bunch of kettle gongs, its a full gamelan orchestra, with everything but the kitchen sink: there's also shakuhachi in there, dizi, rebab, tanpur, tibetan singing bowls, tabla (for the woodland realm), and who knows what else.

Well that's stupid.

Which of the lands of Middle Earth use Tibetan singing bowls? That's what I thought. They really dropped the ball on that one.

Now, a hurdy-gurdy...THAT would be inspired.

Middle Earth has a Hurdy Gurdy!

Its in Flaming Red Hair! Its actually quite the lineup: I think its a banjo, castanets, goblet drum, harmonium, rommelpot and jaw harp.

Now, a pibgorn, that would be inspired! ;) So long as we don't pull a Horner and go the Quena way...

31 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Well that's stupid.

Which of the lands of Middle Earth use Tibetan singing bowls? That's what I thought. They really dropped the ball on that one.

Now, a hurdy-gurdy...THAT would be inspired.

The Oathbreakers of the Dimholt!

18 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Those were gongs. Not singing bowls.

Those were only used for Smaug and Mirkwood.

You obv need to read Doug's book again

EDIT: I guess I am suffering from the Mandela effect, you are correct.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Now, a pibgorn, that would be inspired!

One word : Köcsögduda (Mug-pipe)

Now THAT's an inspiring instrument.