Jay

FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: The Complete Recordings - RE-ISSUE now available (3CD/1BD or 5LP)

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

How do you check that?

Karol

I don't know for sure. You could try what I said earlier: rip the (supposed) 48/24 files to PC, use foobar to convert them to 48/16 and them bit-compare them (you will need a plugin for that I believe). If there are no differences found, then those 9 tracks are definitely 48/16. If there are differences, then they are possibly 48/24, but since I don't know whether this method is functional, I can't say for sure. Maybe someone can help? @Jay ?

Another possibility is to compare the Blu-Ray rip with the DVD-A rip, if you have that available as well.

What I think should definitely be valid, would be comparing the 9 Blu-Ray files with the HDTracks files, however I don't suppose you want to buy them as well. But maybe if someone was able to provide at least one of them...

Paging @thx99!  We're looking for the best way to tell if a 24/48 DTS-MA track on a Blu Ray is real 24/48 or fake up-converted 16/48 - what is the best way to test that?

6 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Now something that sounded perfectly fine to everyone before will suddenly be inadequate..."I can TOTALLY tell the difference!"

True. I tried one of those tests where you need to guess which clips are of the highest quality. I guessed some and failed at others. Yeah, "guessed" is a key word here. ;)

Karol

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Paging @thx99!  We're looking for the best way to tell if a 24/48 DTS-MA track on a Blu Ray is real 24/48 or fake up-converted 16/48 - what is the best way to test that?

I'm not @thx99, but you could look at FLAC encodings of both versions and check for wasted bits?

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,97746.0.html

Alternatively, the quick and dirty method is just to look at file sizes.  If they've been upsampled, the files will compress more due to the redundant data caused by upsampling. 

These are the FLACs I have of the 2018 '24/48' release:

image.png

This is the 2005 24/48 DVDA in FLAC format:

image.png

Note the roughly double file size (apart from May It Be, which may warrant further examination).

For reference, here are FLACs of the 2005 CD (16/44) release:

image.png

On 4/21/2018 at 11:15 AM, Jim Ware said:

I'm not @thx99, but you could look at FLAC encodings of both versions and check for wasted bits?

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,97746.0.html

Alternatively, the quick and dirty method is just to look at file sizes.  If they've been upsampled, the files will compress more due to the redundant data caused by upsampling. 

These are the FLACs I have of the 2018 '24/48' release:

This is the 2005 24/48 DVDA in FLAC format:

Note the roughly double file size (apart from May It Be, which may warrant further examination).

For reference, here are FLACs of the 2005 CD (16/44) release:

Sorry, I'm not clear on this...are your 2018 FLAC's from HD Tracks, or did you rip them from the BD?

42 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Sorry, I'm not clear on this...are your 2018 FLAC's from HD Tracks, or did you rip them from the BD?

Mine are from 7Digital (and seemingly have the same issue as HDTracks) - I don’t have a physical copy.  

Ah, OK then.

Well I think in comparing all these files, it's useful to remember that there are multiple versions of the high res audio, to say nothing of the FLAC files, floating around.

There's the 24/48 stereo and surround tracks on the original DVD-A, and the same on the new BD. Then there are the FLAC's of the DVD-A that have been available on various file sharing sites for a while. Then there's the HD-Tracks stereo versions, which may or may not be the identical to what's on the BD, which may or may not be identical (but probably is) to what's on the DVD-A.  So it's important to compare apples to apples...e.g. the surround tracks could potentially be twice the size of the stereo tracks.

FWIW, I found this discussion (which doesn't shed much light I'm afraid) over at Blu-Ray.com:

I compared decoded DTS HD to the decoded MLP from the original DVD-A (both are 24/48). Here's a summary of what I've heard or seen so far:

stereo:
.Loudness levels and range match
.A bit more masked treble content above 3kHz in the Blu-Ray DTS-HD
.A tad bit of peak limiting in the Blu-Ray DTS-HD (not really noticeable)
.Audibly identical in short AB test

5.1 (audio comparison of L/R tracks, visual/numerical comparison of others):
.DTS-HD is ~0.7dB hotter than MLP
.Loudness range is the same (21.2LU)
.Same minor peak limiting on DTS-HD
.Same extra treble above 3kHz on both tracks
.Some significant spectral difference in last track in certain sections
*Found the cause: seems to be some splicing causing misalignment here and there. Aligning each section, I find extra content much like in the stereo mix, but instead of just being above 3kHz, there is a 'hole' around 3k, with low-amplitude content that modulates with the rest of the content. ABing of each section didn't pop up anything obvious.
.MLP subwoofer track is 16-bits padded to 24-bit
.DTS-HD subwoofer track appears native 24-bit

As to that filesize comparison: when ripping a CD, foobar has settings for FLAC, you can set a slider on a gradient from fast convert but big filesize to slow convert and small filesize. Granted, I never tried them both out to see the actual difference or compare the contents.