Michael Giacchino's INCREDIBLES 2 (2018)

Jay

I don't discriminate on whether one likes Hans Zimmer's scores. I was merely teasing the usual Anti-Zimmer comments! 

We just watched Coco a few weeks ago, and I probably appreciate Giacchino's score much more after seeing it.  I certainly appreciate the songs more.  It's still not a favorite of mine among animated scores or Giacchino scores in general.

On 2018-04-22 at 1:57 PM, Arpy said:

I like the JP/HGW Shrek. 

Shrek is mostly HGW. He also scored the other Shrek movies without Powell.

22 minutes ago, mstrox said:

We just watched Coco a few weeks ago, and I probably appreciate Giacchino's score much more after seeing it.  I certainly appreciate the songs more.  It's still not a favorite of mine among animated scores or Giacchino scores in general.

I'm noticing an odd pattern where I see a film in the theatre and can barely hear any score, but then watch the movie on DVD and make the music out clearly (this happened with me in regards to Jurassic World, Tomorrowland and potentially Coco).

33 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

They've got other issues to deal with. Posters for The Emoji Movie are still in prominent display for some reason.

They should have never been displayed to begin with ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm cautiously optimistic. The first score was quite nice. Interesting what will happen when Giacchino revisits material from his very first feature score 14 years later.

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. The first score was quite nice. Interesting what will happen when Giacchino revisits material from his very first feature score 14 years later.

Karol

Oooh, quite nice is an understatement! Score of the Decade, IMHO. I got it as a 14 YO on vacation, and listened to it on repeat cross country, played it in high school, conducted it for my undergrad graduation... special place in my heart. I also feel like it was his most inspired score. Up is brilliant, but starting to rely on his tropes. Ignoring Lost and the forced innovations due to a limited orchestra, it wasn't until John Carter of Mars and Rogue One did I hear some adventurous scoring again, and even that I suspect was mostly due to his orchestrators. The chordal nature of the vast majority of his work is so uninteresting, but in the Incredibles - there's hardly a four bar phrase in the entire thing. It almost doesn't even sound like Giacchino anymore, but rather like some inspired artist with their one work of genius that could never achieve that pinnacle again in a hundred years. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's real. Someone in the YT comments is pointing out that this track references music from the THE INCREDIBLES: RISE OF THE UNDERMINER video game soundtrack Giacchino did years ago. For example, 3:56 of the purportedly leaked track is a reference to 0:37 of the game's "Underminer Threat" music:

EDIT: 1:00 also has the theme. I think this is the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they rerelease the first score or an expansion, the secondary market is littered with fakes and used copies :(

Underscore finally finished their series on the first movie this month, and it really elevated my already high opinion of the score. As the Brueggeman brothers pointed out, hardly a measure goes by that isn’t touched by the score’s jazz texture, no matter the emotional content of the scene.  I agree that it barely even sounds like Giacchino—and I like Giacchino’s regular tropes, too!

Great!  I haven't checked it out yet, deep in Jurassic World land over here.

Just seen the movie.

I am a mographer/animator so the first thing i will notice is the Production design, and is slendid of course no doubt. I love how it retains that retro looks and just maximized it. I love the over the top orange grading of the picture. It feels overly shiny and thats great because you simultaneously feel the overall concept of the movie.

Giacchino score is what Powell's is to HTTYD. It has become a character and again no denying, it perfectly matches the picture. The Incredibles is pretty much Gia's cornerstone, albeit not his masterpiece.

The story, well, is not as good as the first one. It is too complictaed yet also too predictable. It has a really blatant message of feminism-patriarchy and "addicted to screen", but neither is fully developed. And the story arc pretty much recycled the first one, with character swap of course. But the overall design is still acceptably good, and it is darker than the first.

The action sequence, also, is not as creative as the first one. I still remember fresh the first movie's Elastigirl's hallway scene, the masterpiece jungle scene (all are pretty Spielberigian). But this is to be expected

First one was a classic, and very hard to be replicated. But this entry is still very engaging, and whether this delivers the 14 years wait, well, some of my friends say it does, but i never that overly looked forward to this, so i cant answer that question.

You should post those thoughts about the film itself over in the film thread: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27898-incredibles-2-brad-bird-2018/

And just leave the comments about the score here.  Thanks!

Lucky you that have already see the movie. In my country it does not come until the 3rd of August (beacuse of the damn World Championship of Football).

Anyway, about the score in the album, I have just listened to it and while I think it's a step down from the first one (at least on the first listen), but it's as enjoyable. The main theme is not as present, but for the most part is changed with what I suppose it's the Elastigirl theme (that appears in Elastigirl is Back). The action for some tracks feels a bit chaotic, in the sense that is not as rythmic and cohesive as it was in the first one, but that's just in the middle section of the score, because in the last third the action comes back to it's pure Giacchino-jazzy style (listen to Looks Like I Picked the Wrong Day to Quit Oxygen)

About other new themes, I don't inmediatly recognize them, but I think that Ambassador Ambush could be the equivalent to Kronos Unveiled with the theme for the new villain. I also love the fact that the little melody for the Underminer that appeared at the end of the first one becomes his theme in Considere Yourself Undermined.

Great score, altough not as great as the first one, but maybe that's because I have listened to that one a lot of times. Giacchino has two good scores in a row (in one day to be more precise)!

6 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

I also love the fact that the little melody for the Underminer that appeared at the end of the first one becomes his theme in Considere Yourself Undermined.

^^

RIGHT!!! I love taht it turns into a full-fledged character theme, from that, perhaps, random little motif. And, it's pretty noticeable in the movie

Just finished listening to the soundtrack... I like it! A very worthy companion piece to The Incredibles; you could tell Giacchino had a lot of fun returning to the soundscape of his original score. A lot of really fun, jazzy action cues (Consider Yourselves Undermined! and Elastigirl is Back are definite album highlights), and a lot of really nice subtler moments as well.

I'll probably edit this post later to include some more thoughts, but overall, I thought it was a fun, rollicking score that's nearly on the same level as the original.

Anyone else find the bonus theme suites at the end of the OST a bit... odd? The compositions themselves are quite fun, but could definitely do without the unnecessary and cheesy lyrics. I dunno, maybe they'll grow on me?

^^

First time i heard that bit (2:14 - 2:50 ), it struck me because i know i've heard it somewhere.

Alas, i found it. Gia literally copied NOTE-TO-NOTE this kind of "danger motif ala Horner" from his Juspiter Ascending. Self-imitiating is completely fine by me though