Sign in to follow this  
Jay

Michael Giacchino's INCREDIBLES 2 (2018)

I don't discriminate on whether one likes Hans Zimmer's scores. I was merely teasing the usual Anti-Zimmer comments! 

We just watched Coco a few weeks ago, and I probably appreciate Giacchino's score much more after seeing it.  I certainly appreciate the songs more.  It's still not a favorite of mine among animated scores or Giacchino scores in general.

22 minutes ago, mstrox said:

We just watched Coco a few weeks ago, and I probably appreciate Giacchino's score much more after seeing it.  I certainly appreciate the songs more.  It's still not a favorite of mine among animated scores or Giacchino scores in general.

I'm noticing an odd pattern where I see a film in the theatre and can barely hear any score, but then watch the movie on DVD and make the music out clearly (this happened with me in regards to Jurassic World, Tomorrowland and potentially Coco).

33 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

They've got other issues to deal with. Posters for The Emoji Movie are still in prominent display for some reason.

They should have never been displayed to begin with ;)

I'm cautiously optimistic. The first score was quite nice. Interesting what will happen when Giacchino revisits material from his very first feature score 14 years later.

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. The first score was quite nice. Interesting what will happen when Giacchino revisits material from his very first feature score 14 years later.

Karol

Oooh, quite nice is an understatement! Score of the Decade, IMHO. I got it as a 14 YO on vacation, and listened to it on repeat cross country, played it in high school, conducted it for my undergrad graduation... special place in my heart. I also feel like it was his most inspired score. Up is brilliant, but starting to rely on his tropes. Ignoring Lost and the forced innovations due to a limited orchestra, it wasn't until John Carter of Mars and Rogue One did I hear some adventurous scoring again, and even that I suspect was mostly due to his orchestrators. The chordal nature of the vast majority of his work is so uninteresting, but in the Incredibles - there's hardly a four bar phrase in the entire thing. It almost doesn't even sound like Giacchino anymore, but rather like some inspired artist with their one work of genius that could never achieve that pinnacle again in a hundred years. 

I think it's real. Someone in the YT comments is pointing out that this track references music from the THE INCREDIBLES: RISE OF THE UNDERMINER video game soundtrack Giacchino did years ago. For example, 3:56 of the purportedly leaked track is a reference to 0:37 of the game's "Underminer Threat" music:

EDIT: 1:00 also has the theme. I think this is the real deal.