'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm praying for the long awaited revision of Banning Back Home to be debuted. 

Still gonna keep that avatar now that you know a good deal of us will be seeing Kate in person? ;)

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

HOLY CRAP, bought two ticekts to Harry Potter 3, and 2 tickets to Johnny Dubs.

The LeBlancs are going to London!

We gotta stop meeting like this!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I wonder what even made JW decide to conduct a concert in London, now, of all times, after all these years.

Maybe he's filming his cameo for IX around this time. ;)

Karol

Quite a year when it comes to JW concerts in the UK. Saw E.T. last month. There's Chamber of Secrets in April, Close Encounters in June. Prisoner of Azkaban and THIS in October (two days apart!), Star Wars with LSO a couple of just a mere few weeks later... and maybe Home Alone in December. Not to mention there are other shows I have already seen and that happen to be touring dangerously close to where I  live... It's just packed!

I'm now officially financially ruined!

Karol

Wow ! Living in France, I never though I would be able to see Williams conduct. Well I'll try to buy tickets. :o

It's on sale Friday at 9 AM (I guess it's London time so that makes 10AM in Paris, right ?)

Urgh. I really want this but don’t know if I can afford this on top of the A New Hope show a few weeks later.

I don’t suppose there’s any chance tickets won’t sell out straight away?

2 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

It sounds like there are enough JWFans going to this, that we should buy out one of the boxes just for us!

Good idea, but I think people will have different seating and price preferences.

42 minutes ago, Omen II said:

The best seats for sound are generally considered to be in the stalls and the grand tier boxes.  I would recommend blocks H, J, L or M in the stalls and because the rows of seats are steeply raked your view will not be blocked by the people in the row in front of you.  I prefer the rows towards the back of the stalls rather then the front, as the further back you are the higher up you are and therefore will see more of the orchestra.

The parts of the hall directly opposite the stage (so at 6 o'clock if the stage is at 12 o'clock) can be good for live in concert screenings, but the sound of some sections of the orchestra can be completely lost (e.g. the violins).

If you can, I would definitely try to avoid the sections of the circle nearer the stage (blocks P and Y), as many of the seats have a restricted view in that you can only see half the orchestra.

Some people like the seats in the arena (especially the front few rows to be up close and personal with the conductor), but because the rows are all on the same level you cannot see some of the players towards the back of the orchestra and can have your view blocked by the person in front of you as the seats are not staggered.

I also like the second tier boxes as there are only five seats in each and you get a great view of everything from most of them.  The pictures below show the view from the back of the circle (1), from one of second tier boxes (2) and from the stalls (3). 

DSC02277.JPG

DSC02405.JPG

DSC02408.JPG

I agree with you. I usually get a Grand Tier or stalls seat. Although circle seats aren't that bad either if you're on a budget. This time I decided to go with arena. One, I needed to get two tickets next to each other. Two, this one time I would like to be as close as possible (for obvious reasons). :)

Karol

I'm so there! Got my ticket already. So that's three times London for me this year.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I see that many of you are lucky to know patrons and friends, who can order tickets for you.

Simple: You pay 45 quid, get the membership, buy four tickets and share the 45 among the group.

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm so there! Got my ticket already. So that's three times London for me this year.

Simple: You pay 45 quid, get the membership, buy four tickets and share the 45 among the group.

It looks like we'll be having quite a few drinks together this year! Is @ChrisAfonso also attending all three?

Karol

While i have no overriding interest in the Williams concert alone (already saw him) there is only 2 days prior the Potter/Azkaban films in concert event  also in RAH. This might seal the date for me. Jeez, we came a long way since the 96 Barbican concert.

If I hadn't already seen Williams live (twice), I would be very nervous now. But since I have, I won't take it too hard if I'm unable to get a ticket (or a ticket at a horrible seat).

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

While i have no overriding interest in the Williams concert alone (already saw him) there is only 2 days prior the Potter/Azkaban films in concert event  also in RAH. This might seal the date for me. Jeez, we came a long way since the 96 Barbican concert.

Oh yeah. That one completely slipped under my radar. I had no idea they were doing it as well so soon. But I'll be going to the afternoon performance. Will make it slightly cheaper plus got better seats anyway.

Karol

All the friends / patrons tickets in the priority window for the John Williams concert have now sold out, so anyone without a ticket yet will need to try in the general sale from 9 a.m. on Friday.  I really would recommend logging onto the website at 9 a.m. sharp and be patient - I would be absolutely astounded if there were any tickets left after Friday morning.

Tickets for the John Williams Promenade concert last year sold out in the first hour and had far more applications than any of the other Proms concerts that season by a considerable margin (and remember that there is no friends / patrons priority window for the Proms).  That was the BBC Concert Orchestra under Keith Lockhart; this is the London Symphony Orchestra under John Williams!

I've just had a concert buying binge! I bought Jaws and Home Alone tickets. And I'm considering buying Jurassic Park (which I've already attended before, but who cares right?) And Raiders. I'm trying to punish my bank account. Really pound it into the ground. 

And without even realising it, my 2018 is dominated by Williams concerts.

Jaws

Raiders

Home Alone

Jurassic Park

Star Wars

Williams in Chicago

Williams in Baltimore

Williams in London.

8 hours ago, Richard said:

Sorry to correct you, Omen, but it was January, 1986. I know; I was there.

Are you sure you are not mistaken with the date, Richard?  I helped the Royal Albert Hall archivist with some information about John Williams's appearances there a few weeks ago and she checked the original programmes from their archives, confirming that John Williams conducted the LSO with John Scott at Filmharmonic on 16th November 1985.  If there was a later Royal Albert Hall appearance in 1986, it is not information they have on their performance database and they would probably be pleased to hear from you.

On a related note, here is an interesting read about the Filmharmonic concerts:

http://www.robertfarnonsociety.org.uk/index.php/jim/the-special-articles/271-filmharmonic-the-final-years-1978-1985

Needless to say I was a little shocked to read the news when coming back home tonight! Now, this could be pretty hard to get tickets on Friday morning. When tickets go on sale, I'll probably be on my way to the office. :unsure:

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Do you really wanna miss a huge European JWfan meet-up where you can tell everyone how you feel about C&C releases though, Thor?

No, the meet-up actually sounds more tempting than the concert itself. Alas, it would be hard to justify the costs just for that, and not the concert on top.

2 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Damn... if tickets go within the first day I've got no chance in hell. I don't get any money until next week.

Who needs money? Unless you want to buy things.