'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

It's a strange missed opportunity that Williams never arranged concerts with the LSO to coincide with all his London film scores in the early/mid 00's.

Then again, he scored 4 films in both 2002 and 2005, so he hardly had the time.

3 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

I’ve got tickets for this, and it’s going to be my first ever concert! Cannot wait 😀

First ever concert EVER, or first ever concert with John Williams? :)

4 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

First ever concert ever, no Tay Tay, no nuthin’

In that case: congrats on getting tickets :D

On the other hand: I would REALLY not recommend starting with this concert. I would suggest some chamber music first (for about 1 - 2 years), maybe some chamber orchestras then (Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven) (some additionally 1 - 2 years), then some symphony (Sibelius, Mahler, etc.) (another 1 - 2 years). Believe me, this is the best way to do it. This tipp is for free, but if you like to sell your London tickets now, just send me a PM. :P

52 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

I’ll pass on selling the tickets, but thanks for the advice though! I’ll be sure to try and squeeze those 3-6 years in before the end of October!

Enjoy the concert! :)

11 hours ago, publicist said:

But then i even found the Czechs under JNH and orchestras in Berlin, Paris and Ghent (and Horner in Vienna) wonderful players. I doubt it makes a huge difference either way, though the LSO probably is more adept at film music by sheer prolificacy.

Horner in Vienna was the RSO, Vienna's leading orchestra for the modern repertoire. They're first rate, but generally under-rehearsed for Hollywood in Vienna. The LSO might not get more rehearsal time, but they've been playing this music for decades, so that alone should give them an edge.

(I wonder if Marin Alsop is going to do any Williams with the RSO)

Do you think there is a chance that this concert will be recorded and released on blu-ray/DVD? This event would be a great opportunity for something like that. Besides, I wonder if Maestro will make a special album with LSO, at Abbey Road.

1 minute ago, Pawel P. said:
Besides, I wonder if Maestro will make a special album with LSO, at Abbey Road.

If not, at least the concert should be released on album, possibly supplemented with material from his '98 concert.

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

They've been saying several times over the years that they would like to get him, but he doesn't travel. So yes, it seems obvious that they should try.

No doubt both Vienna and Ghent will fight over him for this (both events take place around the same time), but I doubt they're going to make it happen. They just don't have that London connection that Williams has always had, and was obviously willing to make an exception for.

October is going to be insane. WSA/Ghent, Hollywood in Vienna, Williams in London and then I also have the Riga film festival and more. It's always the busiest month of the year in film music terms.

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

No doubt both Vienna and Ghent will fight over him for this (both events take place around the same time), but I doubt they're going to make it happen. They just don't have that London connection that Williams has always had, and was obviously willing to make an exception for.

As a conductor, I'm sure JW would be flattered if he was invited to work with another top orchestra like Berliner Philharmoniker, Wiener Philharmoniker, or the Concertgebouw. Wiener Philharmoniker already got some of his music on their repertoire. :)

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

As a conductor, I'm sure JW would be flattered if he was invited to work with another top orchestra like Berliner Philharmoniker, Wiener Philharmoniker, or the Concertgebouw. Wiener Philharmoniker already got some of his music on their repertoire. :)

True, but the Wiener Philharmoniker has never performed at Hollyood in Vienna, to my knowledge. It's usually been The ORF (Austrian Radio and Television) Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra. But perhaps they'd make an exception for this.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

True, but the Wiener Philharmoniker has never performed at Hollyood in Vienna, to my knowledge. It's usually been The ORF (Austrian Radio and Television) Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra. But perhaps they'd make an exception for this.

It doesn't have to be a part of Hollywood in Vienna, though.

JW could shoulder his own event: JW in Vienna. :)

4 hours ago, Thor said:

They'd never get the Philharmoniker for Hollywood in Vienna, if only for budget reasons - and I can't imagine the highbrow Philharmoniker playing such a special effects laden, ultra pops event. Nor do they have to - the RSO is an excellent orchestra, and more at home in the modern repertoire anyway. And they've played the ESB suite before, aside from various Williams bits and pieces at the various Hollywood in Vienna incarnations.

Vienna is still widely considered the city of music, and very attractive for musicians all over the world - one of the perks of living here. I wouldn't put it past Williams to use the opportunity to give his first concert here.

Is there anyone willing to take an educated guess as to when we'll know whether they'll record this one or not? Yesterday evening it suddenly looked as though I might be able to come to London, but then of course I just found out tickets were gone already... I DON'T BELIEVE IN FAIRIES ANYMORE!

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Is there anyone willing to take an educated guess as to when we'll know whether they'll record this one or not? Yesterday evening it suddenly looked as though I might be able to come to London, but then of course I just found out tickets were gone already... I DON'T BELIEVE IN FAIRIES ANYMORE!

Same here. They still haven't put the gallery tickets up for sale, so need to stay vigilant and grab them when they are released. All is not lost yet.

Anyone want to spend some money?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/John-Williams-LSO-tickets-Royal-Albert-Hall/263507412797?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The seller paied GBP 1.651,00 for both tickets and is now selling it for GBP 1.000,00...? :blink:

Does anyone know what the original price for Stalls J / Row 1 was?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Would gallery tickets be around £80 too? I'm feeling quite ambiguous about going or not.

I've never been to the Royal Albert Hall, but what I understood is that gallery is a standing room. Is this right?
And if so, is it any good or do you need to fight with other people to get in the first row to see the orchestra.

How many "rows" are in the standing area?

I'm also ambiguous about buying a gallery ticket (if they will be released)...

I've been to the Royal Albert Hall about 50 times. But pretty much never had to queue online for tickets before, so I didn't know what to expect. But I spent over an hour in the queue for A New Hope tickets a couple of weeks ago, and ended up just getting good enough tickets. So I knew right then that I was definitely going to pay the friends and patrons fee of 45 pounds for Williams just in case. And thank jebus I bloody did. 

I wasn't planning on paying extra. Then on Wednesday around noon I started thinking to myself "I wonder whether they do the early priority tickets for this". Just thought it is friggin' John Williams and it might not happen again. So I did it then and there. And it was bit stressful because wi-fi at work is bit crap and the tickets kept disappearing before I could add them to my basket. But yeah, I wasn't planning on that at all. It was a bit of an impulse really.

Karol

I was planning to travel to Boston this year and even joined Boston Pops Friends ($100 donation) to have access to advance tickets. Thanks to this topic I was quickly notified about the London concerts and made arrangements (travelling with my sister) to attend London concert instead. I wasn't that happy about the extra £45 but based on later replies it seems without it I wouldn't have gotten my tickets (arena seats on 11th row). Advance tickets were also available for Azkaban in Concert so I'm not that angry about the extra fee anymore.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

And with the Boston Pops being your Friends, they won't mind returning your $100!

Have to admit I was a little bit upset after spending for another friend status. After thinking about it, I'm more than happy to support them. During the years I've enjoyed many amazing recordings of this wonderful orchestra. It was for a good cause!

FYI

Your tickets will be sent as soon as possible. Sometimes, we may need to send tickets out closer to the event date, so there may be a delay. If you do not receive your tickets in time for the event, please bring this confirmation and the credit/debit card you used to make this booking to the Box Office at Door 12 on the day of your performance to collect reprints. Please note that if you have booked a Restaurant you will not receive tickets and please go straight to the restaurant with your confirmation. If you have booked a Fine Dining or Hospitality package your tickets and an event information pack will be sent 7 to 10 days prior to the event. Prior to your tickets being printed you can change your delivery method to Print at Home (when available) through the My Account section of our website.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

FYI

Is the above not for physical tickets though?

it says in the confirmation email that it will take up to two weeks to receive your e-tickets??

I have some questions I hope anyone going will please respond and answer!

1) Approximately which days will you be in London for?  (IE, "I'll be there from Tuesday the 23rd through Sunday the 28th")

2) Are you also going to see Harry Potter 3 live at Royal Albert Hall on  Wednesday the 24th?

3) Would you be interested in a group tour of Leavesden Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 27th?  Which day would work better for you?

https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/home

4) Would you be interested in a group tour of Abbey Road Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 27th?  Which day would work better for you?

https://www.abbeyroad.com/

5) Would you be interested in a group screening of a JW-scored film at the BFI IMAX some day that week?

http://www.bfi.org.uk/bfi-imax

I'm in London between Friday and Sunday. I'll be there on Wednesday as well but it looks like it will only be a day trip to see the afternoon performance of Azkaban. At the moment I have no plans to stay there for Thursday but that can change (depending on what I do with the rest of my annual leave in the summer). I would be interested potentially in doing something on Saturday. Either Abbey Road or Harry Potter studios would be nice.

Karol

That's a big program, Jay, but I understand you'll have to make the most of it when you do the long trip (same as I did when I was in Boston).

Personally, if I get to go to this (as a devout pessimist, I fear any unforeseen circumstances between now and then that will prevent me from going), I'll be there for a short period of time, as it's jammed inbetween WSA and the Riga film festival. Too early to tell at this point. Probably arrive the 1-2 days before, and depart the day after.

You'll find me at a local pub drinking beer for the duration.

I'll probably spend most of October in London, and possibly other parts of Europe. I'm certainly interested in meeting up with any other JWFans during that time, including for sightseeing, other shows, etc. On top of some of the activities that have been mentioned, I'm thinking about going to Derry for Halloween (link, from last year).

1) Approximately which days will you be in London for?  (IE, "I'll be there from Tuesday the 23rd through Sunday the 28th")

October 6 to October 28

2) Are you also going to see Harry Potter 3 live at Royal Albert Hall on  Wednesday the 24th?

No plans yet

3) Would you be interested in a group tour of Leavesden Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 26th?  Which day would work better for you?

Maybe

4) Would you be interested in a group tour of Abbey Road Studios on Thursday the 25th or Saurday the 26th?  Which day would work better for you?

YES I'd be interested. Saturday is the 27th though. As of now, either day is good (25th or 27th)

5) Would you be interested in a group screening of a JW-scored film at the BFI IMAX some day that week?

Yes