'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

2 hours ago, Delgibbons said:

I have it captured from SKY Q digital out. I'll put it up as FLAC when I get time 😊

I would love to hear that! 

2 hours ago, aescalle said:

PeterPan check your PM...

Can I get a link too please? 

I reallt enjoyed Close Encounters. I'd never heard that live before. Something about it coming in from the complete nothingness of the silence of the Albert Hall - spinechilling. 

There was a lot of Star Wars, not that I'm complaining, but I'd have loved to have heard something a bit newer, like Rey's theme perhaps, or some of the terrifying First Order stuff from TFA. 

Also, Home Alone?! Haha sorry, don't want to look a gifthorse in the mouth but it's one of my favourites and it's just SO John. . 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I was actually antsy to leave by the time Jurassic park rolled by. I really can't listen to these polished concert pieces anymore, played to perfection or not - but actually was there for JWFan and our merry german band of Facebook fans as it is probably the only opportunity to meet any of them. 

So you really hate John Williams. I think it was an amazing night. 

I was there with my friends, musicians from Helsinki phil and national opera. They loved it, very much. Of course they wanted to see JW but still it was terriffic. 

Yes. The LSO played superbly, but all these comments of it being technically perfect and mistake free are exaggerated.

Trumpets hit a bum note in Raiders too, not surprised though after two hours of murder for them!

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

The timpani player was certainly getting a workout last night. I would pay to just watch him on his own. 

You creep! ;)

Karol

4 hours ago, peanutismint said:

I would love to hear that! 

Can I get a link too please? 

I reallt enjoyed Close Encounters. I'd never heard that live before. Something about it coming in from the complete nothingness of the silence of the Albert Hall - spinechilling. 

There was a lot of Star Wars, not that I'm complaining, but I'd have loved to have heard something a bit newer, like Rey's theme perhaps, or some of the terrifying First Order stuff from TFA. 

Also, Home Alone?! Haha sorry, don't want to look a gifthorse in the mouth but it's one of my favourites and it's just SO John. . 

The royal phil are doing home alone to picture on the 22nd december... 

... At the royal albert hall 😁😊

Not many tickets left tho 😢

Thanks for the tip! It is one of my fave movies and scores, but A) I really hate going to London and B) last time I went to a movie-with-orchestra thing at the Albert Hall (it was Raiders) they had the movie audio WAAAAY too quiet, so much so that they had to put subtitles on, and it kinda ruined the experience for me. I mean, I know we were all there to hear JW's fantastic score first and foremost, but it looked like they massively under-specced the PA for the event or something because yeah, the dialogue/SFX were almost awkwardly quiet in comparison.... So I'm not sure I want to chance coming all the way to the hall again and have it be the same setup..... 

1 hour ago, Locrius said:

Man, Phil Cobb on trumpet is such a worthy successor to Maurice Murphy. He sounded great in SOLO too.

He's an incredible player for sure.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

A movie with a live orchestra... it’s for me like... like this actual craze for LPs...

I simply wonder.... why???

I don’t understand.

Going back to the very beginnings of cinema?

Karol

I have heard the first half of the concert, and it is amazing how professional the LSO is. Everything sounds awesome. Even if the tempo is different to what we are accustomed, is sounds good unlike with other orchestras. The instruments sound great, I suppose they are high quality crafted too.

7 hours ago, peanutismint said:

Thanks for the tip! It is one of my fave movies and scores, but A) I really hate going to London and B) last time I went to a movie-with-orchestra thing at the Albert Hall (it was Raiders) they had the movie audio WAAAAY too quiet, so much so that they had to put subtitles on, and it kinda ruined the experience for me. I mean, I know we were all there to hear JW's fantastic score first and foremost, but it looked like they massively under-specced the PA for the event or something because yeah, the dialogue/SFX were almost awkwardly quiet in comparison.... So I'm not sure I want to chance coming all the way to the hall again and have it be the same setup..... 

I have been to a few there and I would say it depends where one is sitting. ET you couldn't hear dialogue too well... Jurassic Park was fine. I think it is the PA setup and the weird shape of the hall. 

😁

Han Solo and the Princess conducted by Brosse : 7 minutes long

Han Solo and the Princess Conducted by Williams (Tanglewood): 5 minutes long

The difference is HUGE and they sound completely different. This is why I always want to hear a Williams conducted version as a reference for those concert pieces

You never know how a "re-recording" might differ from his intended version on those compilation albums and when Williams never recorded it before himself your not really sure what your getting (example HP Children suite if we didn't have the leaked sessions)

the Williams one sounds a lot tighter and like the real ESB finale in the last part .I think the LSO one  is agonizingly slow but  sounds nice in some parts

This one is Film Night  version Williams in May  but the best one of the 4 recordings so far is the August performance in Tanglewood

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can understand that. Just out of curiosity, Jay, do you enjoy attending non-film music orchestral concerts? As for myself, I go to way more concerts with classical music than film music.

I have never been to a classic music concert, and in fact have never actively listened to classical music ever in my life. Not my thing.

I have been to plenty of pop and rock concerts in my life, mostly in my 20s.

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have never been to a classic music concert, and in fact have never actively listened to classical music ever in my life. Not my thing.

I have been to plenty of pop and rock concerts in my life, mostly in my 20s.

Personally, I got into classical music through orchestral film music. As you know, "classical music" is a big bag of various kinds of styles, but there's plenty of classical music that's reminiscent of film music - perhaps you just haven't heard the right works yet? You're missing out on a world of awesomeness; the challenge is to navigate through the immense body of music to find the works that resonate with you.

57 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Han Solo and the Princess conducted by Brosse : 7 minutes long

Han Solo and the Princess Conducted by Williams (Tanglewood): 5 minutes long

The difference is HUGE and they sound completely different. This is why I always want to hear a Williams conducted version as a reference for those concert pieces

You never know how a "re-recording" might differ from his intended version on those compilation albums and when Williams never recorded it before himself your not really sure what your getting (example HP Children suite if we didn't have the leaked sessions)

Do you always prefer the Williams version? I only ask because sometimes I do not like the way he conducts his own pieces live. It's the same when I listen to old recordings of Rachmaninoff conducting his own symphonies or playing his own piano concertos. I prefer other people's conducting and playing, but they are still some of my favorite pieces int he world. Like the opening of the Han Solo and the Princess from Tanglewood sounds very sketchy. Out of tune, and they aren't together plus too fast that you almost feel there is a triplet figure in there (for me). It's all preference in the end. However, when it comes to recordings, somehow I seem to pretty much always prefer the Williams versions.  

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Personally, I got into classical music through orchestral film music. As you know, "classical music" is a big bag of various kinds of styles, but there's plenty of classical music that's reminiscent of film music - perhaps you just haven't heard the right works yet? You're missing out on a world of awesomeness; the challenge is to navigate through the immense body of music to find the works that resonate with you.

Very true

With all the talk in one of the other threads about misprints in the programme, did anyone else spot the mistake in the article Ten Things You Probably Didn't Know About John Williams on pages 12 and 13?  The article claims incorrectly that John Williams recorded the score for Jurassic Park with the LSO.

The article itself is apparently courtesy of the film journal 'Little White Lies' and they do have previous for getting their facts about John Williams wrong in the Royal Albert Hall's programmes.  In the programme for Jurassic Park In Concert at the same venue last month, another article taken from the same journal claimed that the first score that John Williams recorded with the LSO was The Towering Inferno.  Stop getting John Williams wrong!

However I loved Mike Matessino's article about John Williams's long association with London and more specifically with the London Symphony Orchestra.  It contained a lot of fascinating information I did not know, for example that he attended the scoring sessions for Battle of Britain and met William Walton (he also mentioned this at the talk earlier in the day).  One minor omission from Mike's article was that John Williams also conducted some of the Filmharmonic '85 concert given by the London Symphony Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall in November 1985 (the article moves straight from Return of the Jedi to the 1996 Barbican concerts).  Also I understand that Williams conducted two concerts in the Barbican Centre's Sculpture Court as part of its Summer Pops series in August 1982 (the article mentions a concert), although perhaps it was two performances of the same concert.

3 minutes ago, Omen II said:

(the article moves straight from Return of the Jedi to the 1996 Barbican concerts

I went to the Barbican concert! :) Was it 96?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

One quick comment about the concert. Brossé conducted Jurassic Park in its proper tempo.

If there had been a choir it would have been a perfect rendition.

Yep I missed the choir, too. I actually half hoped they might have brought one out (I noticed they left space for one) but no such luck. 

10 minutes ago, Omen II said:

It contained a lot of fascinating information I did not know, for example that he attended the scoring sessions for Battle of Britain and met William Walton (he also mentioned this at the talk earlier in the day).

That's an awesome piece of info!

41 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Do you always prefer the Williams version? I only ask because sometimes I do not like the way he conducts his own pieces live.

it's true  .He seems to get it spot on on the OST but live versions often don't sound as good

For example in concert JP theme always too fast, Rebellion is Reborn and and Adventures of Han way too slow and none of the pieces he conducts in concert ever sound as good as the OST .Maybe he works differently in a recording studio to get exactly what he wants

In the case of Han and the Princess I think Tanglewood is the best one and probably closest to his intention. I can't imagine he'd  stretch it out 7 minutes like Brosse for an album recording

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

For example in concert JP theme always too fast, Rebellion is Reborn and and Adventures of Han way too slow and none of the pieces ever sound as good as the OST

Well, for the OSTs they have the possibility to do several takes and to do edits.