'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

I've seen JW 6 times already (including twice this year) so I can't really complain if I didn't get tickets for London but I managed to get one in the stalls earlier in the year. Usually, I'd be fairly fussy about where I sit, but this will be such a momentous occasion and I'm predicting an amazing atmosphere, so just being in the room for the event is the most important thing.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'll try not to look at you when I cry during the moving E.T. performance.

I don't expect to be able to see anything through my teary eyes for half the concert. If that.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Anyone know of the rules regarding taking photos at the RAH?

The official Royal Albert Hall policy is: "Phones and recording devices including mobiles, tablets and cameras are distracting to other audience members.  Please ensure they are switched off.  Recording is strictly forbidden."

However, I have found that the stewards at the Royal Albert Hall are usually fairly relaxed about the 'reasonable use' of compact cameras and smartphones to take photographs in the hall, for example before or after a piece has been played.  I have taken plenty of photos at the Royal Albert Hall, some of which I have posted in various threads here, but have never done so during the performance itself.  I think that if you were constantly taking photos or doing so while the music was being performed, you would be asked politely to desist.

It is interesting to note that the Royal Albert Hall features its favourite photos taken by audience members each week on its @royalalberthall Instagram page.  A photo I took at a recent Proms concert was featured a couple of weeks ago, which does not exactly discourage camera use in the hall despite the official line!

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

However, I have found that the stewards at the Royal Albert Hall are usually fairly relaxed about the 'reasonable use' of compact cameras and smartphones to take photographs in the hall, for example before or after a piece has been played.  I have taken plenty of photos at the Royal Albert Hall, some of which I have posted in various threads here, but have never done so during the performance itself.  I think that if you were constantly taking photos or doing so while the music was being performed, you would be asked politely to desist.

I've taken DSLR photos, with a portable tripod, from box seats before the performance without problems. I just hope they won't stop me from taking out my DSLR and 90mm lens in row 14 during the applause after the concert.

DSC_7218.JPG

I always take photos of every single concert I go to, including the RAH. I tend to take them all at the end as the Orchestra takes a bow and the audience is clapping and sometimes standing. No one ever sees me then. 

No press accreditation possible, I was just told by the RAH. And from both RAH and Williams' assistant: Williams will not be giving interviews to anyone during his stay in London (not even the big media companies like BBC).

Sheesh, am I glad I managed to secure a 'normal' ticket to begin with!

Jamie Richardson.  Has been for years now

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/jamie-richardson-mn0001670175

Also known as the lyricist of "A Winter's Spell" from Azkaban.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0724601/

Yup. Took over from Nancy Knutsen years ago (who I met in Krakow a few years ago -- very nice lady, but she confirmed the increased reluctance of Williams to do interviews etc).

14 hours ago, Thor said:

No press accreditation possible, I was just told by the RAH. And from both RAH and Williams' assistant: Williams will not be giving interviews to anyone during his stay in London (not even the big media companies like BBC).

Sheesh, am I glad I managed to secure a 'normal' ticket to begin with!

For these kind of events, they never give regular press accreditation. They save of course a bunch of seats for VIP guests. Considering they're filming Episode 9 right now in London, I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams or Daisy Ridley will be in attendance.

As for interview or meeting requests, that's the standard reply his reps are giving to anyone who's not already in their inner circle. As tough as it may seem, they're protecting him as if he's royalty.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Considering they're filming Episode 9 right now in London, I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams or Daisy Ridley will be in attendance. 

I reckon he'll visit the set, if they're filming at Pinewood in October.

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

For these kind of events, they never give regular press accreditation. They save of course a bunch of seats for VIP guests. Considering they're filming Episode 9 right now in London, I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams or Daisy Ridley will be in attendance.

I almost always get the accreditation, since I write for the foremost online film magazine in Scandinavia. Also previously for big events like these (like the Elfman concert at RAH a few years ago). But in this case, even the major British media players 'stand in line' due to the immense pressure. I was told these British players would be first in line if seats opened up, and then I was high up on the 'waiting list' after that. But at this point, it doesn't really matter to me as I already have a regular ticket. The only thing is that I would be able to sell my original ticket to someone else if I got the press (now that hornist has his ticket sorted out, I have a Norwegian colleague next in line who had hoped for this to happen).

As for interview or meeting requests, that's the standard reply his reps are giving to anyone who's not already in their inner circle. As tough as it may seem, they're protecting him as if he's royalty.

Indeed. As I keep saying, it's easier to invite the Pope out for a beer than getting an interview with John Williams. :) I've tried three times now, to no avail. Shame too, because I would ask him all kinds of questions that he doesn't usually get from the "regulars" at NBC etc., which I'm sure he would consider a breath of fresh air. Oh well.

10 minutes ago, Caliburn said:

Maybe Brian Tyler gets one of those VIP seats. His concert is the day before.

That goes without saying, I think. Not a big fan of Tyler's music, but the man knows how to "get around" in the inner circles of things, judging by his Facebook posts (a bit on the nauseauting side, if you ask me, but hey -- he has the means and clout to do so, so why not?).

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Indeed. As I keep saying, it's easier to invite the Pope out for a beer than getting an interview with John Williams. :) I've tried three times now, to no avail. Shame too, because I would ask him all kinds of questions that he doesn't usually get from the "regulars" at NBC etc., which I'm sure he would consider a breath of fresh air. Oh well.

Perhaps you should just write a book about the pope instead. :)

Jokes aside, I think the best way to get anything out of JW would be to send him your near complete book manuscript together with a list of questions.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

That goes without saying, I think. Not a big fan of Tyler's music, but the man knows how to "get around" in the inner circles of things, judging by his Facebook posts (a bit on the nauseauting side, if you ask me, but hey -- he has the means and clout to do so, so why not?).

It's on this concert it will be announced that Tyler is doing the music to Ep. IX while JW's contributing a new theme, The Adventures of Lando.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

What Schindler's List story is that?

Not sure if you’re kidding or not but I’m gonna tell you anyway!

When he told Spielberg he needed a better composer for SL snd Spielberg said “I know but they’re all dead”.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

When he told Spielberg he needed a better compose for SL snd Spielberg said “I know but they’re all dead”.

How does Johnny always manage to drag that one sentence out into a 5 minute story 

10 hours ago, Thor said:

As I keep saying, it's easier to invite the Pope out for a beer than getting an interview with John Williams.

Of course. After all, one of them is one of the most important people living on this planet, and the other one is just the pope.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

When he told Spielberg he needed a better composer for SL snd Spielberg said “I know but they’re all dead”.

It's the film music version of a Rickroll.

18 hours ago, Alex said:

I was kidding yeah. Sarcasm never works in textual form.