'A Celebration of John Williams in Concert' - Royal Albert Hall, October 26, 2018 (CONDUCTED BY DIRK BROSSÉ)

Mari

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

A poster called Ins is going. He said he was at the Boston 2013 meet, so does that mean he was likely US based?

image.png

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Got an e-mail from the LSO: 'logistically impossible' to record/broadcast the concert. I don't recall this being an issue with the prom last year.

They have a kind-of point. Where would the cameras go if all the seats are booked up/ sold? BBC Proms has a designated area on the arena floor to hold cameras/camera flying etc 

I reckon YouTube has an exclusive rights to broadcast this one . You can even choose from several angles so it makes you feel like you're actually there...recording it on your phone. It's so interactive!

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I reckon YouTube has an exclusive rights to broadcast this one . You can even choose from several angles so it makes you feel like you're actually there...recording it on your phone. It's so interactive!

Karol

Are you being serious?

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Snickers?

I don't know? Are they the ones sponsoring it?

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Got an e-mail from the LSO: 'logistically impossible' to record/broadcast the concert. I don't recall this being an issue with the prom last year.

"Logistically impossible" could refer to the many different copyrights involved in a programme like this.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You really think cameramen sit on audience seats?

At the Vienna State Opera, the camera crew takes up at least the first row of the standing area. Wouldn't be surprised if they block a couple of seats as well (if not at the State Opera, perhaps at another venue). (They obviously don't take up seats at another venue when filming at the State Opera though...)

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

It is decided well in advance of sale which BBC Proms concerts will be recorded for TV broadcast and seats in certain areas of the hall are not sold for those concerts accordingly.  @tmarps is right that some of the usual camera positions for BBC Proms concerts take up space that would otherwise be available for concertgoers.  For example, a small temporary platform is built over the last few rows of the seats in block O of the stalls for the boom camera, while there is also a camera on rails immediately in front of the stage and sometimes another on a platform further back in the arena itself.  This is less of a problem for BBC Proms concerts as the concertgoers in the arena are standing and can therefore avoid their view being restricted to some degree if they are so minded.  There is also usually a camera in the gallery which would also mean one of the arches would not be available for the public and the capacity reduced.

I would have loved to see this concert recorded but unless it had been decided in advance, it would almost certainly have meant fewer tickets being available for people to attend the concert in person.  I suspect that Marian might also have a point about copyright issues for a recording of a concert such as this.

50 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Any word yet on complimentary wine?

On hot days during the Proms season they sometimes leave jugs of water and paper cups on the shelves in the concourses during the interval (they also do this now at Wembley Stadium, go figure).

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Yeah, "An Evening With John Williams and The London Symphony Orchestra. Brought to you by Snickers."

No, it's "An Evening with John Williams, brought to you by Ollivander batons".

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

"Logistically impossible" could refer to the many different copyrights involved in a programme like this.

I don't see why releasing a concert recording should be any more difficult than the JW approved compilation albums, copyright-wise.

1 hour ago, Omen II said:

On hot days during the Proms season they sometimes leave jugs of water and paper cups on the shelves in the concourses during the interval (they also do this now at Wembley Stadium, go figure).

Is it alcoholic water?

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Marian edited his post after I responded.

Technically, I just replied to another message. The board merged my posts.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't see why releasing a concert recording should be any more difficult than the JW approved compilation albums, copyright-wise.

It might depend on the selected pieces, some of those in this concert might be more difficult to get approval for. Also, whoever managed and produced the other compilation albums might have had the contacts and resources to get the necessary permissions. Whoever is in charge for this concert at the LSO might not.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It might depend on the selected pieces, some of those in this concert might be more difficult to get approval for. Also, whoever managed and produced the other compilation albums might have had the contacts and resources to get the necessary permissions. Whoever is in charge for this concert at the LSO might not.

As long as they have JW's blessing I'm sure there's no problems.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

As long as they have JW's blessing I'm sure there's no problems.

That has nothing to do with the necessary rights to release a recording of it.

54 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The right holders care about getting paid and the context in which the music is used. And for both these factors I'm sure the composer's own involvement is a positive thing.

But it could still be a considerable number of different rights holders that have to be contacted, negotiated with and paid. And performance rights differ from release rights.

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Vienna seems to be making that effort though, thankfully.

Hopefully they've solved the logistics *before* announcing that they're going to release the concert.

I too remember the Goldsmith concert in 2001 not being amplified. But I was chatting with a friend who attended a handful of Prom concerts at the RAH a couple of years ago and he told me they were amplified/miked. Perhaps our expert @Omen II can shed some light :)

I saw Howard Shore there. Definitely not amped. 

I'd have assumed they only do that for live bands and such, as I know the RAH hosts a lot of that sort of thing. All the big British acts do the Albert Hall.

Some of the proms are. It doesn’t really go well with the acoustics of the building. However my friend told me that they recently updated the sound system in the RAH to a better one, so!

As far as I remember, the Elfman concert in Dec. 2014 was slightly amplified, at least - We sat in the choir seats, and out of the speakers pointing our way (no idea about the other direction towards the general auditorium), apart from the obvious synth overlays, came part of the orchestra - a bit disorienting since this created a kind of echo effect with the strings. I'm sure a Williams concert won't be aplified, though.

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Perhaps our expert @Omen II can shed some light :)

That's a very diplomatic way of saying "that insufferable little know-it-all @Omen II", Maurizio. 😉

I agree with @ChrisAfonso's recollection that the Danny Elfman concert I attended there was definitely amplified (I was in the circle for that concert and found it quite disconcerting initially until I got used to it), but I have never noticed this to be the case for any of the other orchestral concerts I have attended at the Royal Albert Hall.  Sometimes vocalists are miked, for example in the Bernstein On the Town prom a few weeks ago, but if the orchestra is amplified it is certainly unnoticeable to me.  Steef is correct too that every BBC Proms concert is recorded for radio broadcast, hence why microphones will be visible at every BBC Proms concert.

53 minutes ago, Omen II said:

That's a very diplomatic way of saying "that insufferable little know-it-all @Omen II", Maurizio. 😉

I agree with @ChrisAfonso's recollection that the Danny Elfman concert I attended there was definitely amplified (I was in the circle for that concert and found it quite disconcerting initially until I got used to it), but I have never noticed this to be the case for any of the other orchestral concerts I have attended at the Royal Albert Hall.  Sometimes vocalists are miked, for example in the Bernstein On the Town prom a few weeks ago, but if the orchestra is amplified it is certainly unnoticeable to me.  Steef is correct too that every BBC Proms concert is recorded for radio broadcast, hence why microphones will be visible at every BBC Proms concert.

I didn't notice anything myself (except for the mikes used for singers, obviously). Maybe because I was on the floor.

20 minutes ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

Hoping something from A.I. is featured. Not placing any bets however, begging at least for there not to be 7 minutes wasted upon the godforsaken Throne Room and Finale...🙏

Highly unlikely (unfortunately). He didn't even deem it good enough for the Spielberg, Vol. 3 compilation.

14 hours ago, Omen II said:

Thank you for all the info, @Omen II! You're kind as usual :) 

I wouldn't mind if they will amplify certain instruments (last year in Boston for the JW Film Night, they had a mike to amplify certain soloists, like harp and celeste), but not an overall amplification to the whole orchestra. I reckon that Elfman's film music is much more dependant on a specific balance which wouldn't be possible to achieve in a live setting without amplification, while JW's music is much more traditional in that regard.

Amplification at the RAH has become more common over the last few years.  Results are variable; the James Newton Howard concert sounded spectacular, whereas the James Horner sounded ghastly.