The Official European JWFAN Pre-Concert Meetup Thread (London, October 26, 2018)

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Cool!

Anyone know a good weather app for the UK?

I use a weather app called YR. It’s fantastic. Hour by hour for your location (or the location you want to view) and it’s usually spot on. The most reliable one I’ve ever had. 

24C4811C-B5CF-47AD-88C7-98E8174DC554.png

Yes, I always say “I’ll consult the Norwegians” if someone asks me what the weather will be like 😂

Alas, I’m not. I had already bought a ticket to see Star Wars in the RAH in November before this was announced and couldn’t afford both trips 😢

I just want to begin by saying "Roosevelt de Roosevelt; what it is, what it shall be, what it was".

The weather, today, will be hot and shitty, with continued hot and shitty, in the afternoon. Tomorrow, a chance of continued crappy, with a really pissy weather front moving in, from the north.

49 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Alas, I’m not. I had already bought a ticket to see Star Wars in the RAH in November before this was announced and couldn’t afford both trips 

Sell your iWatch!

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

It’s the thing Apple was going to call their watch before marketing said it would make people sound like creepy voyeurs. 😉

Sounds like something Hwauei can use so! They’re all about looking at what they’re not supposed to!

Currently in Pula, Croatia — drinking strong Belgian beers (yes, they have that here). For the film music festival here (I was in the jury). Will try to save some drinking energy for next week, but can’t guarantee anything at this point.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

A pint is 568 ml here in Ireland 

I have heard of people getting half liters on the continent which is just plain wrong. 

Yeah, civilised Europe doesn't do those funny random sizes. We're organised!

Karol

30 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, civilised Europe doesn't do those funny random sizes. We're organised!

Karol

Hey, Ireland saved civilization! 

On 10/17/2018 at 11:46 PM, crocodile said:

That's it. You had to jinx it!

I said the same thing last time. I was about to cancel my planned trip to Brighton because rain was predicted, but the forecast cleared up in the morning and I spent a fine day there. (Should have brought a jumper though; I wasn't expecting to go until after I'd left the hotel... the sea winds were quite chilly)

We'll be fine.

(When I was in Ireland for one and a half weeks, for the first week there was mostly sunshine, with only a brief light drizzles in between. We had one single really foggy and rainy day - the day we went to see the Cliffs of Moher, of course)

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Preferable to the US pint, 473 ml.

The standard Dutch bar beer is 250 ml I think.

It is not the size of the pint that matters but what you fill it with.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Currently in Pula, Croatia — drinking strong Belgian beers (yes, they have that here). For the film music festival here (I was in the jury). Will try to save some drinking energy for next week, but can’t guarantee anything at this point.

I hate you right now :P I really need to visit that festival!

I'd still rather 568ml of Guinness to less than 500ml of Guinness... Then again, I wouldn't drink Guinness outside of Ireland anyway so it is a moot point! 

To be in London well ahead of time of the concert and our meeting I am leaving for the British Isles today! Also this is my first time in the country and the city so I'll be having a week long holiday while I am at it and am very much looking forward to exploring the city before the grand finale and crowning of the trip on Friday when I get to meet all of you and most of all seeing the Maestro Williams conducting the LSO. :) 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Will you just be visiting London?

And perhaps Oxford as well. But there is so much to see in London I doubt the week will be enough to see everything I want.

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

And perhaps Oxford as well. But there is so much to see in London I doubt the week will be enough to see everything I want.

A half day (or a bit longer, depending on your time management) trip to Oxford is enough to visit the fantastic Tolkien exhibition, walk past Tolkien's house, visit his grave and have a pint at The Eagle and Child.

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What's a good app for public transport routeplanning in London?

It's not an app as such, but I always use the journey planner at the Transport for London website for journeys within London.  It is very accurate and you can tailor your requirements (for example, if you wanted journeys that avoid buses, where you can take your bike on the train, etc.).

TfL Journey Planner

You can also find the journey planner via the official TfL Oyster and Contactless app, which is brilliant for keeping track of your journey history and spending on your Oyster and / or contactless card.  I also use the Bus Times (London Live Bus Countdown) app which uses GPS technology to tell you when the next bus will reach your stop.  As my usual journey to work involves two buses and three Tubes, these are probably the two most useful apps I have on my phone.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tfl-oyster-and-contactless/id1179420088?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/london-live-bus-countdown/id475360935?mt=8

If you or anyone else needs any particular advice on any journeys within London, I am happy to give any pointers.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

What's a good app for public transport routeplanning in London?

I've been perfectly happy just using Google Maps during my last few visits.

Question regarding the RAH's baggage policy: The last few times, I've had stalls seats, so I've had no trouble taking my backpack (including camera gear) and using my camera before the concert. This time, I have a floor seat. Should I be worried that I have to drop off my bag because of the more limited space there, especially considering the warning about "big bags"? At the same time, is there a regular cloakroom where I can drop off additional bags in case I go shopping on that day and don't have time to take my stuff back to the hotel before the meetup?

52 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Question regarding the RAH's baggage policy: The last few times, I've had stalls seats, so I've had no trouble taking my backpack (including camera gear) and using my camera before the concert. This time, I have a floor seat. Should I be worried that I have to drop off my bag because of the more limited space there, especially considering the warning about "big bags"? At the same time, is there a regular cloakroom where I can drop off additional bags in case I go shopping on that day and don't have time to take my stuff back to the hotel before the meetup?

Since the terrorist attacks in London last year, security at the Royal Albert Hall has been beefed up.  If you have a bag with you, it will be searched by security guards at a little table as soon as you have entered the building and had your ticket scanned.  For weekday evening concerts I often travel straight from work and am usually asked to leave my bag (a small backpack) in one of the cloakrooms, which is no hassle.  Note that there is a £1 charge for each item deposited, so make sure you have some change.  Given the high profile of the concert and performers, I would expect security to be particularly tight for the John Williams concert.  

At some of the concerts I have attended this year the stewards have asked people entering the building to leave their bags at one of the cloakrooms and I have seen people stopped by the stewards from entering the arena and advised that they need to check their bags in.  The cloakrooms are not particularly well signposted inside the hall, but if you are sitting in the Arena there is a cloakroom at basement level accessed via door 6 and down one flight of stairs from the Dangoor Foyer (it is not shown on the Royal Albert Hall plan for some reason).  There is also a cloakroom on ground level at door 9, but it is not always open.

That said, for The English Patient last week I had a seat in one of the second tier boxes and was able to take my bag in and leave it on one of the coat hooks in the box.  The cloakrooms are open for ticket holders two hours before the start of a concert, so it is unlikely that you would be able to drop off your shopping and go away again (but you could always ask).  There is not a general cloakroom accessible to all and sundry as there is at the Barbican or the Royal Festival Hall, for example.

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

That said, for The English Patient last week I had a seat in one of the second tier boxes and was able to take my bag in and leave it on one of the coat hooks in the box.  The cloakrooms are open for ticket holders two hours before the start of a concert, so it is unlikely that you would be able to drop off your shopping and go away again (but you could always ask).  There is not a general cloakroom accessible to all and sundry as there is at the Barbican or the Royal Festival Hall, for example.

I think they had a security check/look in my bag earlier this year for CE3K, but they didn't ask me to check it in. But as I said, that was a box seat. I guess if they want me to check in the bag, they won't let me take my DSLR with me?

(I didn't mean to drop off my shopping in advance. But I guess it shouldn't be a problem to drop it off along with my regular bag before the concert, in case I still have it with me)